Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 6:34:52 PM EDT
I will be traveling from CO into and through NE this summer. The wife and I will be doing a fun shoot for family kids in NE (parents will shoot also). Then we will swing up to SD to spend time with wife's brother and do some shooting with him.

We will have an assortment of .22 rifles for the kids (6 or 7), for shooting with the BIL we will have a few pistols and an AR.

Pertinent factors:
We both have CCW permits (which NE honors).
We will most likely be driving a one ton van, if I can whittle down the load there is an outside chance we'll be in a Subaru Outback.
The firearms cannot be stored in a separate compartment. Back of the van or Outback
With all the bullshit surrounding weed traffic outbound from CO I'm paranoid about getting pulled over and having my shit spread out by the interstate. I'll also be teaching my BIL to reload and I'll be carrying primers, powder, bullets, reloading tools and of course ammo.

Please don't think I'm nuts or a cop hater (12 years volunteer with the El Paso County SO). I've had it happen to a friend and myself. Years ago I used to coach Junior Team shooters at the Olympic Training Center here in the springs and personally knew most of our Olympic shooters. I had been out for a day at the range with one of the National Team shooters. Side Note: National Team shooters get smokin' deals from the big gun companies. This guy had a LOT of NICE guns and we had several with us. Cop pulls us over because this guy from Oregon had Oregon plates on his car, and the cops were enhancing revenue from people that had moved to the Springs without re-plating their cars.

This guy's plates and license are current. He hands the cop his National Team ID, his Olympic Training Center ID and drivers license and registration. Cop can see gun cases on the back seat, so out they come, to be spread out in the grass by the city street in the drizzling rain. While the cop takes his sweet time to run EVERY serial number. I was more pissed than my buddy.

Questions regarding transportation in a van or small what ever the hell an Outback is:
Do long guns need to be in locked cases?
Do hand guns not carried concealed need to be in locked cases?
Anything about ammo I need to know other than it ought not to be in the rifles?

I'm going to cross post this in the SD Hometown Forum.

Thanks for your help.

Vic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
No ammo in shotguns (even the tube) in a vehicle.
Nothing has to be stored in locked cases.
You have a CCW, we are a shall notify state, so tell the officer you have weapons on you.
If you are heading into SD through US83/or US61 you'll be traveling through one of the Sioux Reservations, they have another set of laws apart from SD.
Omaha and Lincoln also have different laws, I can't help with those.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude if they run all of your serial numbers, that's some serious bullshit. That would not at all be legal in my book.

Omaha has fairly moderate weapons laws, so I'd be careful about having any weapons within reach of non-CCW carrying passengers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude if they run all of your serial numbers, that's some serious bullshit. That would not at all be legal in my book.

Omaha has fairly moderate weapons laws, so I'd be careful about having any weapons within reach of non-CCW carrying passengers.
View Quote

Thanks,

Both the wife and I have the permits, and exercise our rights and privileges.

And, yeah I thought the cop was being an asshole, especially since it was raining. I could see it if say, it was just me, some guy with a load of guns, but this guy had IDs from the National Team and the OTC. To me it was kind of like an FFL holder getting pulled over going to or from a gun show, and being detained so the cop can run the numbers on the dealer's inventory. And subjecting this valuable property to treatment that could damage and de-value the person's belongings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top