Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 12:59:52 PM EDT
Assuming one has all the tags.. where does one sell the critters they shoot?
I've been seeing some pudgy coons and opossums, as well as yotes running around. besides just shooting them and wasting away, it would be nice to get something out of it.
I have never harvested fur before, is there a place near Lincoln that will buy the bodies off me to be used in fur goods?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
there's a few places around.  one in Seward and Wahoo.  there some other places that travel through, not Lincoln, but smaller nearby towns.  Minaska or Nebraska Fur Harvestors could help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

but, this years coon and some other fur prices are about to be basically worthless, especially on carcass prices.

nevertheless, good luck and post your successes!
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering this as well this year as I will be trapping for the first time in this state. I used to sell fur at a local auction back at home. I met a fellow that works for NAFA (Canadian fur company) and he travels through Lincoln Jan 23 and March 29th. They bring your fur up to canada and sell it and charge a commission out of your profits I believe. I am not sure how good prices will be, but I trap because I enjoy it, not necessarily for the profits. This seemed like the best option to sell fur here.

Pickup dates: http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/US_NE-2015-10.pdf

The guy I talked to said you can bring them on the carcass, green, or skinned and stretched.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
that seems nice, most people would prob freeze the carcass until the pickup dates then? I have no experience in skinning, tanning, stretching, etc. Im just lookin to get some kind of cash off of ridding pesky varmints, instead of just letting them rot, attracting more pests!
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that seems nice, most people would prob freeze the carcass until the pickup dates then? I have no experience in skinning, tanning, stretching, etc. Im just lookin to get some kind of cash off of ridding pesky varmints, instead of just letting them rot, attracting more pests!
View Quote

Yes, freezing them is fine, but I'd use an old crappy freezer and have it nowhere near my food. if you start in Dec, its usually cold enough in the shade that they could last a few days and Bobcats are then legal.

Some buyers don't want them skinned since they like to do it "their way" and the less holes in the hide the better. I always washed them and combed the hair so they looked better when selling.

I sure miss trapping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top