Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 3:16:22 PM EDT
I've been trying for a while to find  a good place to shoot around Lincoln. Would like a place short to shoot pistols and plink, but also a place where you can at least reach out 200 yards. I've tried Lincoln Ikes range, but it is far away,only 100 yards and about $150 a year, big shots indoor range which is very short and expensive, and all the WMA's around town. I asked a game warden what the deal is with shooting on game and parks land and he said it depends on the area and to call the park superintendents for specifics. I asked if he knew about twin lakes WMA (about 15 miles west of Lincoln right off I80) and said he thought no rifles were allowed, but shotguns and handguns may be good. I asked about Branched Oak and he said no for target shooting, which I think is incorrect. I think there are a few places there that you are allowed to shoot. Anyways, does anybody know of another place where you can shoot around here?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
there might be someone else who can answer this better but, Izak Walton has 300yd range for members and the ENGC is great, but by Louisville.  most, if not all the WMAs are closed because of littering and noise complaints.  thats all i know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there might be someone else who can answer this better but, Izak Walton has 300yd range for members and the ENGC is great, but by Louisville.  most, if not all the WMAs are closed because of littering and noise complaints.  thats all i know.
View Quote

That's what I figured. The Izaak Walton 300 was only for matches. I was a member last year there and never saw it open, although it may be open on certain days. I checked out the ENGC, but they only let members that are 21. I'll be 20 tomorrow so that's no good for another year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's what I figured. The Izaak Walton 300 was only for matches. I was a member last year there and never saw it open, although it may be open on certain days. I checked out the ENGC, but they only let members that are 21. I'll be 20 tomorrow so that's no good for another year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah, you're a young whipper snapper!  happy bday!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been trying for a while to find  a good place to shoot around Lincoln. Would like a place short to shoot pistols and plink, but also a place where you can at least reach out 200 yards. I've tried Lincoln Ikes range, but it is far away,only 100 yards and about $150 a year, big shots indoor range which is very short and expensive, and all the WMA's around town. I asked a game warden what the deal is with shooting on game and parks land and he said it depends on the area and to call the park superintendents for specifics. I asked if he knew about twin lakes WMA (about 15 miles west of Lincoln right off I80) and said he thought no rifles were allowed, but shotguns and handguns may be good. I asked about Branched Oak and he said no for target shooting, which I think is incorrect. I think there are a few places there that you are allowed to shoot. Anyways, does anybody know of another place where you can shoot around here?
View Quote

Make the trip out to Heartland Public Shooting Park in Grand Island.  No membership required.  100 yard rifle and 25 yard pistol ranges are pretty much always open.  Call before you come to see if the 200, 300 and 600 yard rifle ranges are open.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's my understanding that unless they have signs target shooting is permitted. I take my son to a nearby WMA on occasion. I make it a point when I do to clean up after myself and others. We usually end up with an extra bag of trash because of all the slobs. Can't get it all but we make a dent.

http://www.outdoornebraska.ne.gov/wildlife/places/wmas.asp

Target shooting is permitted on most areas, although there are a few where this activity is prohibited. They are posted with appropriate signs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that unless they have signs target shooting is permitted. I take my son to a nearby WMA on occasion. I make it a point when I do to clean up after myself and others. We usually end up with an extra bag of trash because of all the slobs. Can't get it all but we make a dent.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Target shooting is permitted on most areas, although there are a few where this activity is prohibited. They are posted with appropriate signs.

Thank y'all for the information! I'll keep checking different WMA's or maybe rejoin Lincoln Izaak Walton League.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top