Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2014 4:29:04 PM EDT
So I know for some reason Nebraska doesn't honor Georgia permits, but I'll be visiting a friend in Council Bluffs IA which does. It appears that OC would be legal from what I'm reading should I cross the bridge to visit another friend.

Or have I been misinformed? And should I choose to just leave it in the car, is there anything I need to know on that front? Duty to inform? Etc, etc...

Thanks for your help in advance. I may just end up getting an out of state permit from Utah and avoiding all the hassle in the end.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No open carry in Omaha with out a permit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No open carry in Omaha with out a permit.
View Quote

Bah, state preemption has spoiled me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
There is "duty to inform" in NE, and as noted above no OC in the city of Omaha without a permit from the city unless you have a valid CCP. OP outside the city limits is legal in NE, however. If your friend is not within Omaha city limits then you would probably be covered by federal transport laws since you are coming from IA through Omaha, but I would consult a lawyer just to be certain.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is "duty to inform" in NE, and as noted above no OC in the city of Omaha without a permit from the city unless you have a valid CCP. OP outside the city limits is legal in NE, however. If your friend is not within Omaha city limits then you would probably be covered by federal transport laws since you are coming from IA through Omaha, but I would consult a lawyer just to be certain.
View Quote

That is a very grey area, as the OPD website, and the statute state 2 different things. I have asked my lawyer for clarification, and he suggested I get the Open Carry permit from the city.
I'm looking for my copy of the exact statute for reference.

From the OPD website:
12.  Can a Nebraska CCW Permit holder open carry in the City of Omaha?

Omaha Municipal Code 20-206 prohibits people from carrying concealable firearms (handguns) in the open within the City of Omaha limits with some exceptions. One exception is obtaining the "open carry permit." This can be obtained through the National Safety Council, Nebraska. Access the following link to obtain more information about getting an "open carry permit" for the City of Omaha:

National Safety Council, Nebraska Open Carry Class

The Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) which is issued by the Nebraska State Patrol allows a person to carry a concealable firearm (handgun) concealed on or about their person. In the City of Omaha, this particular permit DOES NOT allow a person to carry a concealable firearm IN THE OPEN.

If CHP carriers also wish to open carry at times, then it would be prudent to obtain the open carry permit through the Safety Council to ensure they are legal. The carrier would then have two separate permits ensuring the are legal in the City of Omaha.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The part highlighted above is no longer true, but since Nebraska does not recognize Georgia permits it doesn't apply in this case anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a very grey area, as the OPD website, and the statute state 2 different things. I have asked my lawyer for clarification, and he suggested I get the Open Carry permit from the city.
I'm looking for my copy of the exact statute for reference.

From the OPD website:
12.  Can a Nebraska CCW Permit holder open carry in the City of Omaha?

Omaha Municipal Code 20-206 prohibits people from carrying concealable firearms (handguns) in the open within the City of Omaha limits with some exceptions. One exception is obtaining the "open carry permit." This can be obtained through the National Safety Council, Nebraska. Access the following link to obtain more information about getting an "open carry permit" for the City of Omaha:

National Safety Council, Nebraska Open Carry Class

The Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) which is issued by the Nebraska State Patrol allows a person to carry a concealable firearm (handgun) concealed on or about their person. In the City of Omaha, this particular permit DOES NOT allow a person to carry a concealable firearm IN THE OPEN.

If CHP carriers also wish to open carry at times, then it would be prudent to obtain the open carry permit through the Safety Council to ensure they are legal. The carrier would then have two separate permits ensuring the are legal in the City of Omaha.

The part highlighted above is no longer true, but since Nebraska does not recognize Georgia permits it doesn't apply in this case anyway.

Can you please provide a source for that? I could very well be wrong, but that is word for word verbatim from the OPD website from the day I posted.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the Omaha Municipal Code online

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the Omaha Municipal Code online

Sec. 20-206. - Carrying weapons.
(a)
As provided in section 20-192, the carrying of a concealed weapon is expressly forbidden.
(b)
In all other cases, it shall be unlawful for a person to go armed with a loaded concealable firearm of any kind or to knowingly carry or transport a concealable firearm in a motor vehicle, provided, however, that this section shall not apply to the following persons:
(1)
Persons lawfully entitled to possess a firearm while upon the premises where he or she regularly resides or is regularly employed.
(2)
Peace officers.
(3)
Members of the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, or the Reserve Officer Training Corps when on duty or training.
(4)
Persons who for any lawful purpose carry an unloaded concealable firearm inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person.
(5)
Persons who for any lawful purpose carry or transport an unloaded concealable firearm in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the concealable firearm will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.
(6)
Persons in or upon a shooting range or the regular business premises of a federally and city licensed firearms dealer.
(7)
Persons engaged in a generally recognized course of instruction in the use of firearms, such as hunter safety instructions or instruction for the purpose of obtaining an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207
(8)
Persons who have verified to the city that they are entitled to a waiver of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207(k).
(9)
Persons who have obtained and display an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207

(10)
Persons possessing a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Nebraska Law.

(Ord. No. 33113, § 7, 11-23-93; Ord. No. 34229, § 1, 6-17-97; Ord. No. 37432, § 2, 7-18-06)

Yes, I see. I'm well aware the police site and the actual code say 2 different things. I don't reckon it will be an issue, but my lawyer friend asked the district attorney and his word was get the open carry permit if you want to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top