Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2014 12:30:26 AM EDT
GREETINGS FELLOW ARFCOMERS FROM THE FREE STATE OF ARIZONA,
It may sound a bit crazy, but the wife and I are looking to relocate out of the Great State of ARIZONA, THE #1 GUN RIGHTS STATE - TWICE RATED BY GUNS AND AMMO MAGAZINE.   I know, I know you're probably thinking "Are you CRAZY!!!!"   Well indeed it will be a very hard decision for us to make, as we are rabid 2nd Amendment Supporters and have enjoyed Arizona for almost 30 years.

The reasons are several-fold --- I work in the Aerospace industry (Apache AH-64) and things are slowing down /  both daughters have moved to the Midwest and momma wants to be closer to each / and with retirement always on the horizon, we want to settle in a part of the country that is stable.   Although Arizona is stable at the moment, but we do have job quantity issues, water issues, etc.

So the questions are:

• -- How solid are the "gun rights" and the "gun rights movement" in Nebraska ?

• -- How are the job opportunities if you are not involved in the agriculture industry?   I am actually an aerospace procurement agent, I buy parts for the Apache AH-64, but looking to get into another industry with this experience.

• -- From an opinion standpoint, how much of a shock will the weather be, going from the insane heat of Arizona in the summer, but the near perfect conditions in the winter months.

• -- Any good areas, bad areas, etc.?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and I look forward to your input.  

Zscaleplanet - Mesa, Arizona
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]

I think the unemployment rate is around 4 percent.   So job market is good.   Cost of living is reasonable.  
 You could maybe come work at Lockheed or Northrop Grumman or be a contractor/consultant on base.

NFA is okay here.    One thing to mention..... I know here in Omaha (if you live in city limits) you have to register your handguns which sucks.  

I am sure others will have more info/advice for you.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh, this raises the Omaha question -- it appears that Omaha is catering to attracting the young families, young business minded types, the artsy fartsy types, etc.    And most of these "types" vote Communist / Liberal.   Any concerns with Omaha, which has the higher demographics, overwhelming a state vote and Nebraska goes the way of Colorado ???   For your sakes, and my own if we elect to relocate there, I would hope not.     Although, Colorado may be getting back to it's sanity, but tomorrow's election will tell us for sure.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]

There is always cause for concern and vigilance wherever you live..... But I am happy because we ousted our Liberal mayor the first in recent memory (who was an idiot) and voted in a Conservative Lady who isn't shy to be pro gun.    And even mentions that she conceal carries on occasion.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ahhh, this raises the Omaha question -- it appears that Omaha is catering to attracting the young families, young business minded types, the artsy fartsy types, etc.    And most of these "types" vote Communist / Liberal.   Any concerns with Omaha, which has the higher demographics, overwhelming a state vote and Nebraska goes the way of Colorado ???   For your sakes, and my own if we elect to relocate there, I would hope not.     Although, Colorado may be getting back to it's sanity, but tomorrow's election will tell us for sure.

View Quote

Offutt Air Force Base, where you're likely to find your aerospace-related job, is located in Sarpy County.  It's directly south of Omaha, which is in Douglas County.  Sarpy is a mix of suburban and rural.  We don't have the problems with gangs and crime like the "big city" does - but like stated above, it's not completely immune like everywhere else in the world.  I really only go into the city to see some friends who still live up there or for occasional shopping/food/entertainment.  And Sarpy is quickly growing in options for the latter.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]
We're always looking for a few good people to come to Papillion.

Papillion is just up the road from the base and several of the big defense contractors.

#8 Best Place to Live:

Papillion has once again been rated a Best Place to Live by Money magazine. For 2013, Papillion is ranked #8 on the list. More information on the ranking is available here. This is the fifth consecutive time Papillion has made Money’s list since 2005, and the fourth consecutive Top 10 Best Place ranking. Money’s Best Places ratings alternate between big cities and small cities every other year.

Best Place in Nebraska to Raise Kids:

Bloomberg Businessweek magazine has named Papillion as the best place to raise kids in Nebraska. Click here to learn more about the criteria used to make this determination.

#1 Small Town in America 2012:

Papillion was ranked as the #1 Small Town in America in 2012 by Livability.com, a website that specializes in identifying the best places in America to live and visit. You can read the Livability description of Papillion on their web site. Congratulations to every resident, business and community partner that made this recognition possible.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If you wish to stay in the aerospace field you could also look into Duncan Aviation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
EXCELLENT FEEDBACK from all and I sincerely appreciate everyones time.    

Interesting info on Omaha.   Granted, from the 30,000 foot level looking down, Omaha looks to be a great city.   But digging a bit deeper -- not so much.   Although, we could say the same thing about Phoenix.  Although the great equalizer in Arizona is that there are no requirements for concealed carry -- not even a license required.   So you never know who is armed and who is not.   It has perpetuated a downward trend in Arizona's crime rate.

Papillion and Sarpy sound like great alternatives.  

As for continuing in the military aerospace industry, it appears that the  "Dear Leader"  has managed to dessimate or military so badly, that we are reeling from the effects to the point that the big dogs like Boeing, Lockeed and Northrup are starting to lay off folks.    Our site here in AZ is already starting the process.      And the trickle down effects to the small businesses that deal with us are already taking their toll and are only going to get worse.      However, I will continue to look at the industry as a foot in, just in case we pull the trigger.      

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We're always looking for a few good people to come to Papillion.

Papillion is just up the road from the base and several of the big defense contractors.

#8 Best Place to Live:

Papillion has once again been rated a Best Place to Live by Money magazine. For 2013, Papillion is ranked #8 on the list. More information on the ranking is available here. This is the fifth consecutive time Papillion has made Money’s list since 2005, and the fourth consecutive Top 10 Best Place ranking. Money’s Best Places ratings alternate between big cities and small cities every other year.

Best Place in Nebraska to Raise Kids:

Bloomberg Businessweek magazine has named Papillion as the best place to raise kids in Nebraska. Click here to learn more about the criteria used to make this determination.

#1 Small Town in America 2012:

Papillion was ranked as the #1 Small Town in America in 2012 by Livability.com, a website that specializes in identifying the best places in America to live and visit. You can read the Livability description of Papillion on their web site. Congratulations to every resident, business and community partner that made this recognition possible.
View Quote

My wife's aunt owns The Flower Patch in Papillion and her uncle owns one of the big barber shops.  It's a very nice community.  If you like living in a big town.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]

And for all intents and purposes Papillion, LaVista, Bellevue, Ralston, Elkhorn etc..... are all connected to Omaha.   They are all individual but are all part of the Metro area.   So you can live in whichever you choose and have access to all of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Except for Omaha, Open carry is unregulated in Nebraska and perfectly legal. In Omaha one must either have a CCW permit or a carry permit from the city.

The current and hopefully re-elected Mayor of Pappilion is a NFOA member a supporter of the 2nd. Amendment.
View Quote

WOW --- EXCELLENT ON OPEN CARRY !!! (Omaha noted)   Always an encouraging sign.   Same here in Arizona, but actually you do not see alot of folks carry open.   A few here and there, but more so most carry concealed.

Indeed, everything I am seeing is that Nebraska is a "thumbs up" state.   Have driven through several times in my life and have always felt as though Nebraska was the heart of America, so hence the interest.  One of the daughters lives in Sioux Falls, but it's a bit more colder and snowy.   From what I see of Nebraska, being just that minor bit South, makes quote a bit of difference, but we are also looking for a change.  

I am actively looking at various employment ops in the state so this will be a slow process for sure.  I'm am not opposed to taking my procurement skills into another industry, in fact actually looking forward to being able to do that.   But I also have a well rounded skill set for the corporate world, etc.

The comments thus far have been invaluable and indeed we are looking at the various towns and cities suggested.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think the unemployment rate is around 4 percent.   So job market is good.   Cost of living is reasonable.  
 You could maybe come work at Lockheed or Northrop Grumman or be a contractor/consultant on base.

NFA is okay here.    One thing to mention..... I know here in Omaha (if you live in city limits) you have to register your handguns which sucks.  

I am sure others will have more info/advice for you.

View Quote

Get a concealed handgun permit and this requirement goes away.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't move to Douglas County.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
CCW training class costs about $100 and there's a $100 fee to register with the state patrol. The shooting portion of the CCW training class is a farce, but better than some other states.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CCW training class costs about $100 and there's a $100 fee to register with the state patrol. The shooting portion of the CCW training class is a farce, but better than some other states.
View Quote

Arizona has "Constitutional Carry" -- basically, anyone can carry open or concealed with no permit / license required.   However, you can take the classes (about $50-$75), which does require a qualification shoot.   Nothing difficult mind you.    My wife and I both carry concealed and we have our permits that must be renewed every 5 years if you desire to have a permit that is.  

But there are pro's and con's to this law.    Our CCW instructor, who was a Sheriff Deputy for Joe Arpaio (you gotta love that), explained that by taking the class and getting the permit, it does offer a higher degree of defense if you ever do need to use your weapon to defend yourself.   In essence, it says to the court "I took the time and had  the concern, so as to get the necessary training in order to fully understand the laws and rules for carry concealed."     He noted that he has seen it play favorably for those that did have their permits, especially in a self-defense shooting situation.

This year alone, I think our legislature added 4-5 new laws for "gun rights".    Gotta love Arizona for that.   So it will be a hard decision if the wife and I do decide to pull up stakes.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So the questions are:

• -- How solid are the "gun rights" and the "gun rights movement" in Nebraska ?

• -- How are the job opportunities if you are not involved in the agriculture industry?   I am actually an aerospace procurement agent, I buy parts for the Apache AH-64, but looking to get into another industry with this experience.

• -- From an opinion standpoint, how much of a shock will the weather be, going from the insane heat of Arizona in the summer, but the near perfect conditions in the winter months.

• -- Any good areas, bad areas, etc.?

View Quote

I moved from the Mesa/AJ area two years ago to the more rural portion of Nebraska(Valentine); I'm pretty sure we have some mutual friends that work at Boeing. I will tell you that I absolutely love it here on the whole; but it isn't a colder version of Arizona if that is what you are looking for.

Gun Rights?
NFOA is good, but it's not AZCDL. I think they are doing great things in the environment they have to work with. The Pistol Purchase permit and lack on Constitutional Carry will bug the heck out of you. NFA wise I haven't had any issues at all.

Jobs/Economy?
I imagine in 'metro areas' of Omaha and Lincoln there are non agricultural jobs. The rest of the state? From what I've seen your job is in some way connected to farming or ranching, either directly or supported by it. I will say that the unemployment rate here is very low, if you want work you will find it. My county is around 2%

Weather?
It doesn't bother me any, I actually think the cold weather here that is bad lasts a lot less the the unbearable hot portion of the year in AZ. Unlike AZ summers, here the winters do have some breaks in the cold/snow. Spring, Summer, Fall; simply amazing compared to AZ.

Bad areas?
I wouldn't live east of Grand Island, but that is a personal thing about not liking a high population density. I like living were it less than 1 person per sq.mile.

If you like hunting or fishing, I think you'll find Nebraska is extremely better than AZ.

PM me if you want.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#18]
CCW negates many of the negatives of Omaha.  I like it here.  Stay out of North O and you're fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
CCW negates many of the negatives of Omaha.  I like it here.  Stay out of North O and you're fine.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with north O.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're the reason I told him to avoid it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PIT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You son of a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Agreed with Zaphod, Douglas county is fine, just get a CCW immediately.  I have a few recommendations for instructors, PM if you need info.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Is Douglas county a part of omaha city limits?

I don't register guns. Period.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#26]
It is.  That's why I said get your CCW ASAP
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

CCW's don't have to register?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

That's handy!

Is it true you must be a resident for 180 days before you can apply for a CCW?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's handy!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

That's handy!

Shit, yeah I forgot about that aspect.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Omaha is slowly annexing the entire county.  If you like Omaha ordinances, school boards, and all the other bullshit that Omaha does, then move to Douglas County.  You will be conquered like Elkhorn, whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the weather, if that's a concern of yours. Hot, humid summers (like 80-90% or worse relative humidity), wind, cold winters. Cold wind (wind chills, brrr...) Last few years the snow hasn't been too bad. Oh did I mention wind? Not as bad as Wyoming, but still....learn to read wind if you're gonna shoot long distances.

There are a few days or sometimes up to a week at a time of low humidity, mild temps in the spring and fall. Not real often though.

I'm sure you've researched jobs already, Offut AFB in Omaha (civilian opportunity??), Duncan Aviation in Lincoln may be a possibility for you, Air national guard base in Lincoln? as a civilian employee, maybe??

If you're used to large urban/suburban areas, you're in for a bit of a culture change once you get a few miles out of either Lincoln or Omaha...lots of farm ground in the east/central part of the state, more ranches west.

Gun laws are pretty good, excepting the Pistol purchase permit. Pay $5 to Sheriff or Police dept, have a little card good for 3 years so you can buy a handgun.??? Goofy law, don't know why we still have it.

That's all I can think of for now, ask if you need anything specific.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top