BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:10:36 AM EDT
Just got back from western Nebraska where I shot my first Antelope. We
didn't see a huge amount of animals, but there definitely some quality
ones out there. I missed two shots earlier in the morning (range finder
wouldn't work in the early morning fog, I'll have to read up more on
this) on animals that were much bigger than this one.
This goat measured right at 12". Like I said there were much bigger ones
out there, but this one was unlucky enough to get in my cross hairs.
Rifle is a Winchester model 70, chambered in .270. I was shooting
Winchester Supreme 130g Ballistic Silvertips when he gave me a standing
broadside shot at around 240 yards. Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12 X
50 BDC.
It's sad I have to wait 3 years to get another tag.....

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got back from western Nebraska where I shot my first Antelope. We didn't see a huge amount of animals, but there definitely some quality ones out there. I missed two shots earlier in the morning (range finder wouldn't work in the early morning fog, I'll have to read up more on this) on animals that were much bigger than this one.

This goat measured right at 12". Like I said there were much bigger ones out there, but this one was unlucky enough to get in my cross hairs.

Rifle is a Winchester model 70, chambered in .270. I was shooting Winchester Supreme 130g Ballistic Silvertips when he gave me a standing broadside shot at around 240 yards. Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12 X 50 BDC.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/ejeviking/AFRCOM%20bucket/20141011_124020_zpsnac0e5pa.jpg

View Quote

Nice speed goat. Were you hunting public land?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats, were at in the state?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got back from western Nebraska where I shot my first Antelope. We didn't see a huge amount of animals, but there definitely some quality ones out there. I missed two shots earlier in the morning (range finder wouldn't work in the early morning fog, I'll have to read up more on this) on animals that were much bigger than this one.

This goat measured right at 12". Like I said there were much bigger ones out there, but this one was unlucky enough to get in my cross hairs.

Rifle is a Winchester model 70, chambered in .270. I was shooting Winchester Supreme 130g Ballistic Silvertips when he gave me a standing broadside shot at around 240 yards. Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12 X 50 BDC.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/ejeviking/AFRCOM%20bucket/20141011_124020_zpsnac0e5pa.jpg

No, we hunt mostly private ground.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Congrats, were at in the state?
View Quote
This animal was shot about 1/4 mile from the Wyoming/Neb border in between highways 20 and 26.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, I've always wanted to go shoot speed goats.  Some day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Cool, I've always wanted to go shoot speed goats.  Some day.
View Quote
You have to earn at least 3 preference points (three years of putting in for a tag) before you will get one. Start next year and maybe we'll see you out there in three years!

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome man, great job.  I'd love do to that at some point.  How do you like your rifle?  I've been looking at 270's.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's awesome man, great job.  I'd love do to that at some point.  How do you like your rifle?  I've been looking at 270's.
View Quote
Thanks! I bought the rifle many years ago at a gun show because I needed a deer rifle. I played with a lot of different ammo before I found the rounds off the shelf that shoot the best out of it. The .270 is an awesome caliber. Many of my friends are going to a 7MM mag or 300 mag, but I think its overkill where we hunt. The 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip really does the job on 'lope and deer.

At one point, I wanted to get a new deer rifle but I cannot justify getting rid of this one or not shooting it. Before I went Antelope hunting I took it out and did a cold bore, 390 yard shot at a 12" target and nailed it. The combination of the gun and the ammo is very good for off the shelf ammo. I suppose I'll keep it and get different guns for the daughter and boys when they grow up. Anyway, if you ever plan on larger game, I'm told you can use a .270 for elk, which I don't doubt a bit. Anything larger than that, I would probably upgrade.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top