Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2014 6:19:42 PM EDT
Anything I need to know firearm wise?  We'll be living in Sarpy country if that makes a difference.  I am just interested if I need to register anything or not.....or anything else....
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay out of Omaha.... thats all i know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, because the whole town is a shit hole

Crime everywhere. Thugs everywhere

Wait, Im in Millard.

My neighborhood is nice and quiet

ETA: Millard is in Omaha for the most part.

Just a separate school district

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you are in Sarpy county, you will not need to register your handguns.
If you have your CCW  permit, you won't need to register they with OPD in order to transport your handgun(concealed or otherwise) within Omaha city limits.

South of Harrison St. is the place to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything I need to know firearm wise?  We'll be living in Sarpy country if that makes a difference.  I am just interested if I need to register anything or not.....or anything else....

If you are in Sarpy county, you will not need to register your handguns.
If you have your CCW  permit, you won't need to register they with OPD in order to transport your handgun(concealed or otherwise) within Omaha city limits.

South of Harrison St. is the place to be.

Cool.  Yea, we're just south of Harrison and I do have my CCW.  so it seems the only thing I have to do is update my address on my CCW, right?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
lguana, this is the response that I received from the Sarpy County Sheriff.  Don't like the tone and some of the wording.  But you mileage may very.  Anyway, welcome to Sarpy county.

The elected Sheriff is recognized throughout the United States as the chief local law enforcement officer and is directly accountable to the people through the electoral process. All sheriffs take an oath of office to enforce and defend the United States Constitution and state constitution and laws. A primary mission of sheriff is to ensure public safety; and gun safety is vitally important to our nation’s public health.

The cause of violence, including gun violence, must be addressed on many fronts, including improved mental health treatment, media violence, drugs, gangs, breakdown of the family, strengthening laws that prevent or reduce the access of legally prohibited persons to firearms and vigorous enforcement of existing laws.

The National Sheriffs’ Association represents the interests of all sheriffs who are sworn to support and defend the United States Constitution. The sheriffs strongly support our citizens’ protected right to bear arms under the Second Amendment. The National Sheriffs’ Association does not support any laws that deprive any citizen of the rights provided under the Constitution and Bill of Rights; and the doctrine of judicial review grants to the United States Supreme Court and the lower courts the power to determine the constitutionality of any law and sheriffs do not possess the legal authority to interpret the constitutionality of any law.

As the Sheriff of Sarpy County, I support the rights conferred by the Second Amendment and further recognizes the ultimate authority of the courts in interpreting the scope of those constitutional rights.

Best Regards,

JL Davis

Sarpy County Sheriff
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
lguana, this is the response that I received from the Sarpy County Sheriff.  Don't like the tone and some of the wording.  But you mileage may very.  Anyway, welcome to Sarpy county.

The elected Sheriff is recognized throughout the United States as the chief local law enforcement officer and is directly accountable to the people through the electoral process. All sheriffs take an oath of office to enforce and defend the United States Constitution and state constitution and laws. A primary mission of sheriff is to ensure public safety; and gun safety is vitally important to our nation’s public health.

The cause of violence, including gun violence, must be addressed on many fronts, including improved mental health treatment, media violence, drugs, gangs, breakdown of the family, strengthening laws that prevent or reduce the access of legally prohibited persons to firearms and vigorous enforcement of existing laws.

The National Sheriffs’ Association represents the interests of all sheriffs who are sworn to support and defend the United States Constitution. The sheriffs strongly support our citizens’ protected right to bear arms under the Second Amendment. The National Sheriffs’ Association does not support any laws that deprive any citizen of the rights provided under the Constitution and Bill of Rights; and the doctrine of judicial review grants to the United States Supreme Court and the lower courts the power to determine the constitutionality of any law and sheriffs do not possess the legal authority to interpret the constitutionality of any law.

As the Sheriff of Sarpy County, I support the rights conferred by the Second Amendment and further recognizes the ultimate authority of the courts in interpreting the scope of those constitutional rights.

Best Regards,

JL Davis

Sarpy County Sheriff
View Quote

What did you write to the Sheriff in the first place?  What exactly do you take offense to in his reply letter?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sarpy I believe is outside of city limits but is still sort of a part of Omaha.  I think technically Omaha ordinances wouldn't apply to him.  That means he could shoot his guns in his backyard!  Or front yard!  Or side yard!  Or maybe I'm just full of it and totally wrong!

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer, do not take my advice as anything other than the word of an idiot!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sarpy I believe is outside of city limits but is still sort of a part of Omaha.  I think technically Omaha ordinances wouldn't apply to him.  That means he could shoot his guns in his backyard!  Or front yard!  Or side yard!  Or maybe I'm just full of it and totally wrong!

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer, do not take my advice as anything other than the word of an idiot!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry saladman, but I am going to go ahead and give him the advice not to listen to you. Nothing personal. There are still many laws covering shooting near dwellings . Got a bow? Shoot away...got a gun....get out in the country a bit. Sarpy County is a great place to live because of many factors including the proactive local LEO andthe quality of citizens and how they watch out for each other.

As far as the letter from Sheriff Davis I am curious what part you did not like? Sheriff Davis is pro-gun and will sign off on your class 3 items...what more is there?

But on behalf of the Sarpy County Sheriff's Office. ....welcome to the Sarp!! Feel free to call the office with any questions or concerns. Or PM me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sorry saladman, but I am going to go ahead and give him the advice not to listen to you. Nothing personal. There are still many laws covering shooting near dwellings . Got a bow? Shoot away...got a gun....get out in the country a bit. Sarpy County is a great place to live because of many factors including the proactive local LEO andthe quality of citizens and how they watch out for each other.

As far as the letter from Sheriff Davis I am curious what part you did not like? Sheriff Davis is pro-gun and will sign off on your class 3 items...what more is there?

But on behalf of the Sarpy County Sheriff's Office. ....welcome to the Sarp!! Feel free to call the office with any questions or concerns. Or PM me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wrote him about being a new resident in Sarpy and I CC.  I asked him if Washington tried to confiscate weapons, would the Sheriff enforce the law?  I wrote the same letter to the Douglas County Sheriff, and he said that he would not enforce that law.  

Guess what I got out of the letter was the verbiage he used.  Maybe I read more into it that what was said.

I assume miller92063 works at the Sheriff's Dept?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wrote him about being a new resident in Sarpy and I CC.  I asked him if Washington tried to confiscate weapons, would the Sheriff enforce the law?  I wrote the same letter to the Douglas County Sheriff, and he said that he would not enforce that law.  

Guess what I got out of the letter was the verbiage he used.  Maybe I read more into it that what was said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it comes to officials making statements unfortunately you just never in what they will do until it starts happening. However I will say from my conversations with him and from others who have spoken with him I am pretty sure he would not be enforcing any such orders. In addition to that I know the majority of the Dept would not do it.

About ten years LEO and 2 of those here at Sarpy County.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When it comes to officials making statements unfortunately you just never in what they will do until it starts happening. However I will say from my conversations with him and from others who have spoken with him I am pretty sure he would not be enforcing any such orders. In addition to that I know the majority of the Dept would not do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks miller92063 for your update, makes me feel more comfortable, and thank you for your service.  I'm retired military myself, was in the first Gulf War.

Have a great day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top