Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2013 7:28:45 AM EDT
Lincoln Urinal Star story

ATF seizes 678 firearms from Lincoln man's home

A Lincoln man illegally trafficked hundreds of guns –– some to felons –– out of his southeast Lincoln home before federal agents whisked away more than 650 firearms last month, an ATF agent said.

Documents unsealed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Omaha laid out the feds' case against Ashley Gerbig, 35, just as the national debate over loopholes on gun sales heated up in Washington.

The fervor over tighter gun controls was not lost on the judge when Gerbig made his first court appearance March 20, a day after agents seized an arsenal of 678 firearms including rifles, handguns, shotguns and AR-15s.

Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also took 13 grenades, mortar rounds and other explosives from Gerbig's one-story brick home at 6209 Deerwood Drive.

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw this article this am
Not sure what is going on here as the story only cites components of the government's case
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Holy Sh$$#balls
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Ashley had a FFL until a couple years ago.
Nice guy.

Eta: still may have an ffl. Haven't talked to him in quite awhile.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hide your dogs and be ready for the knock at your door all who bought from him while he was playing FFL...

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Innocent until proven guilty
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Crap. Bad omen.
I just realized I spent post 6666 in here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Bummer.  

I liked Ashley.  Nice guy with some of the best prices and best selection at the gun shows.  He never had a problem with me handling any of his merchandise either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
sad to hear, he had the best prices on ACOGs...he did start raising his ammo prices long before anyone else
$80-$120 of SA .308 battlepacks within a month when I was looking
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Ashley and his dad (Stan) are great guys. They always had the nicest tables at the gun shows, with the biggest selection, and best prices.
He may have made some mistakes (I'm no lawyer), but it seems this whole thing is turning in to another witch hunt!

They are making the guy out to be some sort of world class "arms dealer".
Every report continues to mention grenades and mortar rounds, as well as anti-tank shells. I'm pretty sure what they are listing are deactivated novelty "dummy" grenades.
You can walk in to "Acher Arms" in Lincoln, or any military surplus store and find the same de-milled "explosives".
Perfectly safe, and 100% legal to own, but the douchebag media would never tell the unimformed reader this truth (or they are too ignorant to know the difference)!
I seriously doubt he had live grenades and a real rocket launcher (as reported). If he did, I would think it would have been listed in his charges (they didn't list anything like "explosives" or "destructive devices").
If this is the case, it's pretty shitty that they keep mentioning the novelty paper weights, and leading people to believe that they were real explosives/ordinance.

Just my two cents!
I could be wrong...
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope it is just a witch hunt.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#11]
He was dealing without a license and sold to a felon that was a ATF confidential informant and was charging sales tax for his "personal collection".  Witch hunt maybe, breaking lots of laws absolutely! Good guy Yes i do believe he was a good guy that made some very costly decisions. When his license got pulled he shold have put his "personal collection on auction and made way more than selling them for $20 above cost. A rough guess on the $ about seized is about $600000.00
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He was dealing without a license and sold to a felon that was a ATF confidential informant and was charging sales tax for his "personal collection".  Witch hunt maybe, breaking lots of laws absolutely! Good guy Yes i do believe he was a good guy that made some very costly decisions. When his license got pulled he shold have put his "personal collection on auction and made way more than selling them for $20 above cost. A rough guess on the $ about seized is about $600000.00

I'm still trying to figure out where he's been getting all the inventory. He lost the ffl a few years back. I contacted him several times before buying from gunbroker, and he claimed to not be in business. I noticed every now and then he would have a few pistols for sale on gb, but figured that they must be personal. Maybe the chance to make some big cash during this gun scare was too tempting to pass up.

Either way, I wish him the best!
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still trying to figure out where he's been getting all the inventory. He lost the ffl a few years back. I contacted him several times before buying from gunbroker, and he claimed to not be in business. I noticed every now and then he would have a few pistols for sale on gb, but figured that they must be personal. Maybe the chance to make some big cash during this gun scare was too tempting to pass up.

Either way, I wish him the best!

Same here, when I contacted Ashley.
I was informed that they sold their business inventory to another dealer.
Cannot imagine where he got that many guns or MAYBE it was truly his personal collection.

Either way there were some laws broken here.

I read the Journal Star article.  Yeah, grenades and other ordinance.  I am sure that is all de-milled stuff.
Misrepresentations in the paper - go figure.
Reporter:  What difference does it make whether the grenade was live or what you said de-milled?
Sheesh - ask the question before printing what you printed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I had bought a couple pistols from him probably 6-8 years ago.  Really nice guy.  Always had one of the biggest tables set up at gun shows.  I had wondered why I hadn't seen him at any gunshows recently.  Hope everything works out for him.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
WOW   I am super slow to get this news.   He collected WW-2 items.  that would probably explain the hand grenades and mortars, although who knows if they were actually live or not, although this story says there were story  (note, I pasted the wrong story, but you probably read the one I was refering to)

my experience with Ashley was that he might tell little white lies to hide sources or whatever,  so the part about buying a duty weapon from a state patrolman may have been BS.   But my experience with him was that he was overly cautious on the FFL stuff. I knew him from shows and through a mutual friend so was shocked by this.  On the personal front I don't know if he ever dated/married a girl that didn't take him to the cleaners in the end.  

If he was truly knowingly selling guns to a felon, I am sure the felony was not drugs, or any type of violent crime.  He really is decent person.  I hope the court goes easy on him, but it's not the right political climate to get an easy plea deal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone heard any updates to this story?

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Good guy or not he broke the law and knowingly did so. Its dealers like this that fuel the anti-gun agenda and who can blame them here is a perfect example of some of their claims.  In my opinion I hope he gets the maximum sentence to prevent any other dealers from ever thinking they could do the same.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update:

Lincoln man pleads guilty to selling AK-47 to felon

OMAHA -- A Lincoln man snared in an ATF investigation this spring will face as many as 10 years in federal prison after admitting he knowingly sold an AK-47 to a felon.

Agents seized 678 firearms includingrifles, handguns, shotguns and AR-15s from Ashley F. Gerbig's home in the Colonial Hills neighborhood in March.

It was the largest sweep of its kind in recent memory in Lincoln and led to a six-count indictment against him in U.S. District Court accusing him of selling firearms to a convicted felon six times as investigators listened.

On Monday, Gerbig, 36, pleaded guilty to a single count as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

In exchange, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Wear said he would ask that the other charges be dismissed at Gerbig's sentencing in January.

He said Gerbig sold a Nodak Spud LLC AK-47-type side-folding stock assault rifle March 7 to a man who admitted to him he was a convicted felon. Federal and state law forbids felons from buying or possessing firearms.

In the indictment, the grand jury said Gerbig sold ammo and firearms to the same man, who was working with law enforcement, five other times between June 2012 and March.

~~~ See more at link ~~~

View Quote

Isn't an AR15 considered a rifle?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.ketv.com/news/man-sentenced-for-selling-gun-ammo/25253210
Looks like Ashley got 46 months in the poke.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Ashley argued that this was his own personal guns and that this was a simple Face to Face transaction.  I think NE laws for FTF are pretty loose, so did they get him primarily because they guy fessed up to it in advance on recording?  or because the FTF transaction probably took place in Ashley's home which was also his place of business so he is actually an FFL at that point?  or is an FFL always an FFL and they can no longer do FTF transactions?

Lots going on with Gerbig and Exeter in NE.  I have met both of those guys before, and I am trying to get up to date on the current NE Face to Face law and can't find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Update:

Lincoln man pleads guilty to selling AK-47 to felon

OMAHA -- A Lincoln man snared in an ATF investigation this spring will face as many as 10 years in federal prison after admitting he knowingly sold an AK-47 to a felon.

Agents seized 678 firearms includingrifles, handguns, shotguns and AR-15s from Ashley F. Gerbig's home in the Colonial Hills neighborhood in March.

It was the largest sweep of its kind in recent memory in Lincoln and led to a six-count indictment against him in U.S. District Court accusing him of selling firearms to a convicted felon six times as investigators listened.

On Monday, Gerbig, 36, pleaded guilty to a single count as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

In exchange, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Wear said he would ask that the other charges be dismissed at Gerbig's sentencing in January.

He said Gerbig sold a Nodak Spud LLC AK-47-type side-folding stock assault rifle March 7 to a man who admitted to him he was a convicted felon. Federal and state law forbids felons from buying or possessing firearms.

In the indictment, the grand jury said Gerbig sold ammo and firearms to the same man, who was working with law enforcement, five other times between June 2012 and March.

~~~ See more at link ~~~

Obviously not

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top