Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2011 4:12:03 PM EDT
How long of a  blade can I have in Nebraska?  What I've found is fairly vague(3.5") and not well written.

Most hunting knives are longer than this, any info is appreciated.

Any good sources for info would also be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
from what I understand:

it is against NE law to have a concealed knife.  A knife is not considered a knife until the blade is over 3.5 inches long.

You have a folding knife with a 3.4" blade in your pocket?  Perfectly legal.

If you are wearing a folding or fixed blade knife(blade over 3.5" long) in a scabbard on your hip and it is not concealed, that is legal.

If you are pulled over and that knife is in your glove box of your truck, it could be considered concealed and illegal.  Depending LEO's mood, situation, etc.

Clear as mud?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  That's kinda what I had gathered.  They may need to clarify this before someone has to be adjudicated to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
be advised that some cities in Nebraska, like Hastings, make it a crime to conceal any knife longer than 3 inches.

http://www.nlc.state.ne.us/epubs/R8000/Q001-2007.pdf old pre CHP list, but probably still in effect concerning knives

Hastings City Code
Carrying concealed weapons.
No person in the City shall wear under his clothes, or conceal about his person, or display in a
threatening manner, any dangerous or deadly weapon including, but not by way of limitation,
any pistol, revolver, sling shot, crossknuckles
or knuckles of lead, brass or other metal, or any
bowie knife, or any knife resembling a bowie knife, or any knife with a switchblade
or device
whereby the blade or blades can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle or other
mechanical contrivance, or a pocket knife having a blade of more than three inches in length.
(Code 1973, 391;
Ord. No. 1750)
Reference: For state law authorizing City to regulate, punish, etc., the carrying of concealed
weapons, see Neb. Rev. Stat. 1943, Section 281201
et seq.
http://www.cityofhastings.org/city_code/index.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top