Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
My 18 year old nephew wants an Alaskan adventure.  I tried talking some sense in him and told him to get his 2 year RN, but he won't listen.  What kind of work can an unskilled kid fin in AK these days?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My 18 year old nephew wants an Alaskan adventure.  I tried talking some sense in him and told him to get his 2 year RN, but he won't listen.  What kind of work can an unskilled kid fin in AK these days?
View Quote

Well , want fries with that rings a bell ......Hope he pulls his head outta his ass and finishes his RN
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
All depends on his work ethic. But making big money is going to be hard work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Presently there is a HUGE surplus of low education workers here. The north slope had a major drawdown when oil prices tanked, some of those people went to other lower skilled work locally but there arnt tons of low skill jobs left unless he wants to work slime line at a cannery(and potentially get the nick name "nine finger nephew")
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've lived here 24 years and the job market for real jobs is tight with lots of competition especially for an 18 year old with zero skills or experience in life.  We had an opening at my job with 36 applicants, most with masters degrees or a pair of bachelors degrees. Even our receptionist who makes like 14 an hour has a bachelors degree. Its getting cut throat right now, and construction is sagging badly, read that alaska has lost 5500 jobs this year mostly in construction/oil gas and the rest in hospitality / services sector.

The days of coming north to make your fortune is gone, I see many people retire and pull up stakes and leave the state within 90 days of retirement, Where does your nephew think he will stay ? Anchorage is in the middle of a nice run of violent crime as is Fairbanks from what I was told in May when I was up there for work. You will be lucky to find a one bedroom apartment in a non gangland area in anchorage for $700 a month. Plus a car etc. as the states mass transit is non existent.

Even if he came up with 10 grand cash he will burn through it. Unless he digs the vagrant / homeless lifestyle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
UAA has a nursing program. While he would be paying out-of-state tuition, he could work on both his degree and his "Alaska Freedom Trip". Then when he's tired of it here, at least he can transfer his credits back home.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
$700/month in a non-shithole, or non-gang infested area? Good luck.

Now, with an RN degree he could probably get a good contract and work shifts with big blocks of off-days to do his statewide travel and sightseeing.

ETA: I have a friend in the UAA RN program. You aren't going to have much time to tour the state. It sounds like an intensive program, as I've heard of for most RN programs. Plus you'll normally need to be in Anchorage almost every day either to go to class or work.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing down here in southeast. Tourist season is winding down and the seasonal turds are leaving. With session running all year long, the capital city is not cheap to rent from.  $1500 per month is normal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Job market outside of retail or flipping burgers is kinda fucked everywhere at the moment.  Even those are having people trying to get them right and left for second jobs, etc.

Lots of people are leaving state because of the crap a lot of us see coming.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe he should look into fire fighting.  

I believe that would qualify as an adventure!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
if he was of the mindset that he was going to move here, start at the bottom sweeping the floor and pouring coffee for whatever trade he wants to learn, being miserable for 10 years working his way up and learning... then there are still opportunities.  just coming up to fuck around for a couple years... yeah he will live in shit, meet some fucking ho, fall in with the cool kids smoke weed all day and probably start getting up to no good because he wont have a construction job or something wearing him out keeping him busy.  If he is that 1 in 100 kid that is destined to be great despite outside influences he would do fine, but if he has any tendency to party it will turn out bad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
So the job market for construction is tanking? I'm Sitech/Trimble trained as well as HCSS trained.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The economy stinks. And that’s a rosy view.

90% of state revenue is from oil taxes and royalties. Oil price is low, and cost of production is high (so not much exploration, meaning no big ‘new oil’ revenue).

No big new fields are coming on line, so the decline in production (normal and expected) will continue (meaning less and less ‘old oil’ state revenue year by year).

State revenue will not go up appreciably unless oil prices spike to $80 (and really $100-120).

Why is state revenue so important? Two reasons.

Because it reflects the price of oil, and high oil prices mean more exploration and more production. That creates not just state revenue, but jobs in every place, industry, and setting between Anchorage and Prudhoe (not forgetting Fairbanks, Valdez, etc). Barge companies, airlines, distributors and retailers of food, heavy equipment, clothing, cell phones, alcohol, helicopters, cars, trucks; and labor including construction, welders, camp mgmt, retail salespeople. Everything from literally soup to nuts. Without that the economy tanks.

Secondly, state spending is a huge economic driver up here. Like it or not, both directly and indirectly the state employs a shitton of people. The state funds a huge chunk of health care. Construction (big projects, heavy construction, and maintenance). Without that the economy tanks.

Where was I? Oh yes, not a great time to come up to an economy that will continue going downhill for the foreseeable future.

Unless you can stuff some oil into the pipeline right away, in which case Yes Please, Come on up!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Prices
Attachment Attached File

Production
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless you're a commercial pilot the job market sucks up here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
That really sucks. Me and the wife were contemplating a move and the more we talk about it the more we want to do it. Shes a teacher and I'm in heavy construction which it sounds like the construction side doesn't seem like an option right now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I am told that if you  have a true trade skill, show up to work everyday, and can pass a drug test you can easily find work in alaska.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That really sucks. Me and the wife were contemplating a move and the more we talk about it the more we want to do it. Shes a teacher and I'm in heavy construction which it sounds like the construction side doesn't seem like an option right now.
View Quote
Last I heard (which was a while ago) there were so many teachers up here that subs were getting no regular hours.  Just too many of them.  So unless she's willing to work in the bush/remote or can land a private school gig or similar, the odds aren't good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Last I heard (which was a while ago) there were so many teachers up here that subs were getting no regular hours.  Just too many of them.  So unless she's willing to work in the bush/remote or can land a private school gig or similar, the odds aren't good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bush school districts are hurting for teachers.
Especially special education. My area has openings.
Do have a few rare construction projects going on too.

My area is not for people used to big city shopping or having things to do.
Do have drug and alcohol problems in the bush like anywhere else.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I can certainly pass a drug test as I have a cdl and company policy states drug tests are mandatory. Pot never interested me anyway.

My question now is what is considered bush? 100 miles only accessible by plan or 45 minutes on dirt roads?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Any minutes on a road is considered a commute.

Bush is probably unlike anything you have experienced. Unless you’ve been in the third world. But cold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can certainly pass a drug test as I have a cdl and company policy states drug tests are mandatory. Pot never interested me anyway.

My question now is what is considered bush? 100 miles only accessible by plan or 45 minutes on dirt roads?
View Quote
I will say a lot of Alaska is not on the road system. This is very hard for folks from down south to understand. You have a village where the "road" out is the river, or in my case, the ocean. Nothing for miles. My closest access to a road out is 90 miles, and I live in the Capital city. Before you even think of coming up here to live you need to visit and know the locals.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I will say a lot of Alaska is not on the road system. This is very hard for folks from down south to understand. You have a village where the "road" out is the river, or in my case, the ocean. Nothing for miles. My closest access to a road out is 90 miles, and I live in the Capital city. Before you even think of coming up here to live you need to visit and know the locals.
View Quote
Message sent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Juneau state roads start at mile 0 downtown. They go northwest to about mile 45. South it goes to -5 in Thane. 98% of the population lives out as far as mile 11. There are no police, fire ,or rescue services past 19 mile. They will come, just may be the next day. No cell service past 17 mile.

When you get to the end of the road it just ends. Nothing past the end... rain forest for 75 miles to skagway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bush is no roads in/out (which is probably more than 85% of the state)

Doesn't mean that the rural areas don't have roads (many do)
You just can't drive there, but once you get there you can drive varying amounts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bush is no roads in/out (which is probably more than 85% of the state)

Doesn't mean that the rural areas don't have roads (many do)
You just can't drive there, but once you get there you can drive varying amounts
This.  The bush is places that are fly/boat in only, which is a ton of spots.  The only I major roads in Alaska are highway system that links the Kenai Penninsula, Anchorage, etc to Fairbanks and the north slope, and the other side that hits Delta, Tok, the Canadian Border, Glennallen, and Homer, but loops back into the Parks Highway anyhow.

So the road system here is a giant loop that gets nowhere near 85%+ of the places considered the bush.  Personally, you couldn’t pay me to take a job out there, the cost of living is insane, let alone the other issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.  The bush is places that are fly/boat in only, which is a ton of spots.  The only I major roads in Alaska are highway system that links the Kenai Penninsula, Anchorage, etc to Fairbanks and the north slope, and the other side that hits Delta, Tok, the Canadian Border, Glennallen, and Homer, but loops back into the Parks Highway anyhow.

So the road system here is a giant loop that gets nowhere near 85%+ of the places considered the bush.  Personally, you couldn’t pay me to take a job out there, the cost of living is insane, let alone the other issues.
View Quote
So living out in the bush is going to suck in other words? lol

My next big question is, what does everyone do for a living and how in the world do you afford to live there with things so expensive?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So living out in the bush is going to suck in other words? lol

My next big question is, what does everyone do for a living and how in the world do you afford to live there with things so expensive?
View Quote
Sent you a IM.
We boat,snogo,logging,hunt and fish.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
$700/month in a non-shithole, or non-gang infested area? Good luck.

Now, with an RN degree he could probably get a good contract and work shifts with big blocks of off-days to do his statewide travel and sightseeing.

ETA: I have a friend in the UAA RN program. You aren't going to have much time to tour the state. It sounds like an intensive program, as I've heard of for most RN programs. Plus you'll normally need to be in Anchorage almost every day either to go to class or work.
View Quote
UAA RN program is a good program but HYPER competitive to get in. how do I know??? Wife teaches one of the feeder classes. She has multiple people retaking her class to go from a B to an A, and get better recommendations letters(she has a form letter she sends saying attendance was good, final grade % was XYZ, ect ect).
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Not true about the "show up and don't do drugs" thing .  , I know skilled trades both union and non union that can't find work or if they do its work at 1/3rd less than they use to make and its out of town work
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
FYI drug tests are mandatory with a CDL , Feds under commercial motor vehicle safety act mandate at least 10% of random drug tests that must be performed by the company. Most insurance carriers also demand that or higher.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not true about the "show up and don't do drugs" thing .  , I know skilled trades both union and non union that can't find work or if they do its work at 1/3rd less than they use to make and its out of town work
View Quote
This.

Pretty much all of the electrician, carpenters, plumbers and laborers that spent the last year working at the UAF engineering building in fairbanks have no job prospects now, despite the increase in military spending.  I have been out of work for the last month (journeyman floor installer) currently waiting for projects to be ready.

There is a race to the bottom as far as pricing goes for most trades.  Bush work used to at least make up for the crap location with more money, those days are gone.  

After having a med emergency in Alakanuk and needing to get to Anchorage for treatment I am done with bush work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]
So it sounds like I'll be catching up with you guys when I'm ready to retire. I'm busting my ass to get up there as fast as possible but I'm only 31.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.

Pretty much all of the electrician, carpenters, plumbers and laborers that spent the last year working at the UAF engineering building in fairbanks have no job prospects now, despite the increase in military spending.  I have been out of work for the last month (journeyman floor installer) currently waiting for projects to be ready.

There is a race to the bottom as far as pricing goes for most trades.  Bush work used to at least make up for the crap location with more money, those days are gone.  

After having a med emergency in Alakanuk and needing to get to Anchorage for treatment I am done with bush work.
View Quote
Add some arthritis and a few injuries and its clear to see why a lot of us put down the tool bag and take desk jobs
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Add some arthritis and a few injuries and its clear to see why a lot of us put down the tool bag and take desk jobs
View Quote
Yeah...I left a desk job for construction and it was good for awhile...now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Ask him what he thinks of North Dakota.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do data analysis at a hospital. The cost of living isn't insane compared to places like NYC, SF or Honolulu.  The city keeps hiking taxes though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top