Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 6:29:22 AM EDT
Guys Im headed up yall's way for a week. Im flying into anchorage and renting a car and going to talkeetna for a few dsays. Going to see Denali . Doing a buse tour and flying around it . Im headed back down to Anchorage airport area with 3 days left of figuring out something to do. Is the drive down to Homer just to damn far to be worth it ? Hows the highway to get there. Me and my 17 year old son. Better options. My money  does have limits. But want to have good time and enjoy yall's great state. WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Homer, but I primarily visit in the off-season. The drive down is beautiful but be prepared for heavy traffic and possible lengthy delays if there is an accident. If you have the time, I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love Homer, but I primarily visit in the off-season. The drive down is beautiful but be prepared for heavy traffic and possible lengthy delays if there is an accident. If you have the time, I'd say go for it.
View Quote
From mid july - end of august driving south from anchorage to kenai is INSANE due to the hoards of salmon fishers. any accident on the mostly 2 lane road and expect a shut down, and getting stuck for hours if there is a fatality.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From mid july - end of august driving south from anchorage to kenai is INSANE due to the hoards of salmon fishers. any accident on the mostly 2 lane road and expect a shut down, and getting stuck for hours if there is a fatality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When my wife and I were up there two years ago at the end of July, the salmon runs had mostly finished in the villages our tour took us through, and only saw a few in the rivers and streams, and our tour guide in Ketchikan said it had been a late run that year...

We'll be up in two weeks ourselves, mostly just for the weekend, kid brother is at JBER and about to deploy, he'll turn his position over to someone else at the midpoint of the deployment and change duty stations, so it's our last chance to visit him up there.  It'll be my second trip, and first time not with a tour group, my wife's been up more times, one of her cousins was stationed at JBER years ago, but I don't know how much roaming around she got to do around Anchorage, so any recommendations for places to see?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top