Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2017 8:53:08 PM EDT
I reenlisted for Ft Wainwright today.  I will report in July.  I am already looking at block heaters for the cars and a .338 lapua for long range target shooting/hunting.  What else do I need to know about this 5,000mile journey?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, hope you enjoy yourself up here..and the way to survive winter is get out there and enjoy it..goes for SO's as well..
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
it is a great drive in the summer, if you are not paying your electric bill get a car cabin heater too( my car was toasty on someone else's dime frequently),  expect to get stuck in several tiny crrappy Canadian towns because you cant buy gas at 2 am. Destruction bay has the greatest cop car you will ever see(you will understand when you see it), take lots of photos on the drive it is great,
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Enjoy it!  I PCS'd from Wainwright last year.  

My time in AK was life changing.  I can say with confidence that my few years spent in AK were the best years of my life.

I spent more time with my family there (despite being deployed for a year) and grew closer to each one of my children.

I miss AK much and will retire there as soon as my currrebt obligation is complete.

And enjoy the drive up.  It will be an incredible adventure!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Destruction bay has the greatest cop car you will ever see(you will understand when you see it), take lots of photos on the drive it is great,
View Quote
You know, I KNOW it is there and still gets me every time

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I missed it on the
way up
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I can help you with everything related to your car, if you PM me year make model engine size I can get stuff in the mail to you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Woohoo! I was in A Co 1-5 Infantry at Wainwright from 06-10. I enjoyed it up there.

If you're driving up the Alcan, it's an easy drive in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True, but remember gas stations are not open at night outside of the major cities (so once you pass Edmonton, you are past the major cities) and there are no card readers on the pumps
You can only gas up when the stores are open
View Quote
That's true. Last time I drove it was moving back up here in October. We drove from about 7am to 10pm and never had any issues with gas. That being said, we did fill up whenever we would get below half a tank, especially since we were driving a Tundra dragging a giant uhaul trailer. I do recommend filling up when you're around half a tank, but that's a principal I have for any road trip.

OP, Destruction Bay is a nice place to get out and stretch your legs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top