Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2017 2:04:04 PM EDT
Guys,
I have a trip coming up to Alaska and would love to tack on a Black Bear hunt. I know its only a month out but I would love some suggestions near or a short plane ride away from Anchorage. Budget would be somewhere around 3K-4K or less.

Would also like to know what to see up there while im up there as I may never have an opportunity to go again.

Thanks,
Hitman9921
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Guys,
I have a trip coming up to Alaska and would love to tack on a Black Bear hunt. I know its only a month out but I would love some suggestions near or a short plane ride away from Anchorage. Budget would be somewhere around 3K-4K or less.

Would also like to know what to see up there while im up there as I may never have an opportunity to go again.

Thanks,
Hitman9921
View Quote

Tags alone for non-resident black bear and a hunting license are $450 for the locking tag, plus $160 for the license.  Upside is if you don't see a bear, you can get something smaller (so long as it is in season) with the tag.  Although, that's pretty much deer, wolf, or wolverine.  Seasons depend on what unit you are in though.

I'll leave the who/where to the guys that live down that way though.  

As for seeing the state, the vast majority of it will still be snow covered.  Denali park won't be open yet as far as I know, etc.  I'll have to put some thought into it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Bears are currently sleeping except Polar Bears.

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea sounds like I'm coming at the wrong time of the year if only it was a month later...... What else to do then? Fishing around April any good? What species? What other stuff to see? Northern Lights? Denali Plane Ride?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Ice fishing

There are things that are in season, think it's just a matter of finding them if they're out and about.  Here in the valley (depending on game unit), black bears are in season all year.  Wolves also in season right now through the end of April.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Bears should be up in Prince William sound by mid April, up at eureka we start seeing Grizzlies around the same time, as far as leaving the den..at our bait station we start seeing both grizzly and Browns about the last week of April... Call this guy, if anyone can fix you up he will be able to, or know who can...@Hitman9921

Jim Bickman
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I may be going back in the first couple weeks of June as well is that a good time?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be going back in the first couple weeks of June as well is that a good time?
View Quote

June's better fishing wise, but bears are best fresh out of the den, because hide(rubs and winter fur is premium) and claws(wear down) or fall for hunting season..season wise back bears mostly have no closed season, brown/grizzly closes june15-august10 timeframe for most units...where I hunt no closed season on either...but we normally only take bears from April to May, maybe a bear in the fall, but that's only happened twice, all the rest in our group have been spring bears...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top