Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 9:16:33 PM EDT
Damn I love Alaska!  Anyone else enjoying the winter weather?  I was surprised how well the gun ran in the cold temps.  I had to twist my photographer's arm a little to get her outside to hold the camera.

Ring the Hang Fast Target at -40 degrees with an Mp5

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The older I get the more of a fair weather shooter I am becoming. I get my fix by shooting indoor USPSA matches when its cold.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I should mention that there was absolutely no wind.  Cold weather and wind gets ugly fast.  

I am jealous when my brother in law sends videos of them shooting comps back east in the fall with nice weather.  But then I think about all the reasons why living in an eastern city sucks.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome video. But too cold.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice GS
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
"Fearless leader" is wanting to do a tracer shoot sometime soon. Possibly after the new year.

I may have to load up a bunch of 556 and 308 if that happens.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
A tracer shoot would be great!  Hopefully the dates work out.  It's definitely the right time of year for it.

The 2007 GS in the pic went away and got replaced with this one.  The pic is in front of the Tetons over the summer during an insanely nice sunset.  We should plan an arfcom-AK 'ride and shoot day' sometime:

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a member of the Ft. Greely -40 Trap and Skeet Crew and have the hat to prove it.

Have to be nuts to shoot trap and skeet at -40, but what the hell- it ain't like Greely has a lotta choices for night life.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Fearless leader" is wanting to do a tracer shoot sometime soon. Possibly after the new year.

I may have to load up a bunch of 556 and 308 if that happens.
View Quote

That would be a good shoot for sure!

I have either 1 or 2 ammo cans full of 556 tracer.

Haven't shot any of it, so need to go look/find it
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn I love Alaska!  Anyone else enjoying the winter weather?  I was surprised how well the gun ran in the cold temps.  I had to twist my photographer's arm a little to get her outside to hold the camera.
<snip>
View Quote

I can't help it, I know the answer, but I have to ask "Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?"

More seriously, is -40 that much worse than -30F? We were in Fairbanks for our honeymoon and my wife, who hates cold, was comfortable in -30. And we're from the Texas Gulf Coast.

Also, do you have issues with other guns at sub-zero? I thought HKs were tested for that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It's Fahrenheit

If it's not windy, -30 and -40 aren't that different.  For me anyway, in non-windy conditions, it takes about a 20 degree change to care much about it.  0 through -20 is about the same.  -20 through -40 is about the same.  Below -40 is about the same but I haven't been out in anything below -60.  I may be dumb but I ain't that stupid.    If it's windy, it gets miserable fast.

I shoot a lot of revolvers in the winter because I don't want to deal with picking up brass when it's that cold.  22s which are always finicky get even more cranky in the cold.  

I was mostly surprised that the gun didn't have problems because I find that at under -30 I tend to start breaking stuff pretty quickly.  Metal and plastic seems to break much more frequently.  This is mostly in the areas of snowmachines, ice-fishing, and winter camping.  It just seems like gear fails.

Congrats for taking a honeymoon up here in the winter!  Did you guys get to see the northern lights?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the response!

Quoted:
It's Fahrenheit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's Fahrenheit

The joke was, at -40, C and F are the same.

Quoted:
If it's not windy, -30 and -40 aren't that different.

We were pretty comfortable in -30. The lack of wind and humidity makes a big difference. In Houston, Texas, you step outside and get hit with the temperature and _know_ it is hot or cold. I stepped outside the airport in Texas clothing, and the -30 didn't hit me, but 4-5 minutes later you start to feel things going numb.

Quoted:
Congrats for taking a honeymoon up here in the winter!  Did you guys get to see the northern lights?

We saw them from the plane as we were leaving. My wife and I got to learn to drive dog sleds, which was the main reason we came. We need to find someplace that dog sleds outside of wooded areas. My wife gets disabling migraines (think, fetal position in pain for 4-6+ hours) from flashing/flickering lights, as those from lines of trees next to a mushing trail.

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The joke was, at -40, C and F are the same.
View Quote

It's good you explained this.  I was in the Marines so I've never claimed to be smart!  

It sounds like you had a great trip.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's good you explained this.  I was in the Marines so I've never claimed to be smart!  

It sounds like you had a great trip.  
View Quote

My wife and I both have NCD (Nerd Compulsive Disorder), so we can't help it. Sorry.

It was a good enough trip, we're coming back for the summer. My wife said she was always humoring me "yes, moving to Alaska if possible, is a possibility". She liked the winter so much that she's actively working on it. (I researched enough about how to dress that she was comfortable in -30, so that was a big deal.) I say "she", since once she gets her PhD we'll move for her career. She has about year left on her PhD and then a 2-3 year PostDoc, which gives Alaska 3-4 years to figure out its budget issues. I hope. We want to move someplace smaller, but it needs a university for her research.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Does one brand of motorcycle tend to work better in the cold? Or is it put up for the winter so it doesn't matter? It was 80F on Christmas, so we ride year round here. (Don't hate us too much, the 100+F and 90% humidity during the summer is awful.)

I currently have a Harley Road King, because they're so comfortable. But I've been wanting a Honda Africa Twin or something similar (Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro or BMW F800).
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
These kinds of motorcycles seem to work best in the winter and are a hell of a lot of fun:  

My bike stays in during the winter and then comes out in the spring.  If you pick your days you can get some winter riding in.  There are also people that ride three wheel "bike's" in the winter.  A few true diehards stud up and ride all winter.  The next pic was an early spring ride and was 20 degrees.  My bike wanted to take a nap coming out of that parking lot.  My steering stabilizer didn't like 20 degrees and got really stiff and didn't want to let me turn.

I like that you're an optimistic guy and are hoping that the state will fix it's financial problems in 3 years!    Good luck on the move.  Keep in touch with the AK forum.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These kinds of motorcycles seem to work best in the winter and are a hell of a lot of fun:  

<snip>
View Quote

Already planned for a snow machine, and then a second one once my wife drives one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Already planned for a snow machine, and then a second one once my wife drives one.
View Quote

Believe it or not sleds are the best way to see the country....once you learn how to ride one in deep snow, it is just mind boggling how much ground you can cover without any trails...not to mention the animals you get to see compared to summer.......It is a great place to live but you have to love winter  and have winter activities....
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the snippet from president Dave:

AMGA is holding a Tracer shoot at BRSP  on 14 Jan 2017.  It would be during dark hours , likely 5 PM start.   We’ll likely use the A, or B range  as most tracers don’t light until at least 50 yards out.  Emphasis will be tracer fire!  

It may be that all who attend are EPM…   if so, we may not have to rent a range.    If we don’t rent a range, everyone attending who isn’t EPM, will need a BRSP guest pass @ $20 per guest,

If AMGA rents a range for the eve,  I’ll have to assess all attendees a minimal fee, $5-10 each   (EPM  or not, for each

Please  RSVP if you plan to attend, or you have any questions.   [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's the snippet from president Dave:

AMGA is holding a Tracer shoot at BRSP  on 14 Jan 2017.  It would be during dark hours , likely 5 PM start.   We’ll likely use the A, or B range  as most tracers don’t light until at least 50 yards out.  Emphasis will be tracer fire!  

It may be that all who attend are EPM…   if so, we may not have to rent a range.    If we don’t rent a range, everyone attending who isn’t EPM, will need a BRSP guest pass @ $20 per guest,

If AMGA rents a range for the eve,  I’ll have to assess all attendees a minimal fee, $5-10 each   (EPM  or not, for each

Please  RSVP if you plan to attend, or you have any questions.   [email protected]
View Quote

I'm in! E-mail sent
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Great!  I look forward to meeting you.

For anyone else that might be planning on coming, the start time is 3:30pm for the safety briefing by Dave and then set up on 'A' Range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Shoot videos can be found here:  AMGA Facebook page
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Is that a miniature nuke that you set off on the front of your shooting bench?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't look directly at it. Get under the bench and cover your head.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#25]
That is awesome! Looks like you all had a good time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top