Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2016 12:53:24 AM EDT
I am not seeing his name listed as a co-sponsor yet.  Did I miss something?  Guess I'll be calling and emailing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
He wrote me a letter:

Dear Mr. Hoff,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with me.

On September 22, 2015, Representative Matt Salmon (R-AZ) introduced H.R. 3799 to remove suppressors from regulations enforced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Current regulations mandated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 require potential buyers of suppressors to apply for a permit from the ATF, pay $200, and pass a separate ATF background check that can take months to complete. H.R. 3799 would streamline the process by removing the application, tax, and simply require buyers to pass the same National Criminal Instant Background Check (NICS) that gun purchasers do.

Suppressors are currently legal to use while hunting or for private ownership in a majority of states. Despite misconceptions perpetuated by movies or anti-gun groups, no suppressor can ever make gunfire completely silent. The device simply muffles a firearm by trapping the expanding gasses at the muzzle, which allows them to slowly cool. Suppressors are no different than earplugs, both items reduce noise by 20-35 decibels thereby protecting individuals' ears from prolonged high decibel damage.

H.R. 3799 has been referred to the House Ways and Means Committee where it awaits further action. Although I am not a member of that Committee, rest assured that I support this legislation if it comes to the House floor for a vote.

Once again, thank you for expressing your views on this issue. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://donyoung.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/ and my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/RepDonYoung. Doing so will allow me to provide you with updates on this and other important issues. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

DON YOUNG

Congressman for All Alaska

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice to see.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the same form letter from his office.

Instead of co-sponsoring the bill, he'll only support it IF it comes to the house floor for a vote.  What a crock.

Better than nothing i guess.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Lisa typed me a letter too.  Not as good:

Dear James:           Thank you for contacting me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015.  I appreciate hearing from you and having the opportunity to respond.          S. 2236 was introduced by Senator Mike Crapo on November 4, 2015, and was referred to the Senate Committee on Finance. If enacted, this legislation would amend the tax code to eliminate the transfer tax on firearm silencers and remove the National Firearms Act application process. Registration and licensing requirements for firearm silencers would be the same as those required for purchasing a firearm. This legislation has not been considered by the Committee at this time.         Should the Senate consider S. 2236 or similar legislation, I will keep your comments in mind.  Again, thank you for contacting me.     Sincerely, [img width=212,height=48]http://murkowski.senate.gov/images/LM_signature.png[/img] 
United States Senator
http://murkowski.senate.gov*
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Dear Mr. Hoff,Thank you for contacting me regarding the issue of hearing protection as it relates to gun control. As Alaskans, we need to stand together to protect our right to bear arms, and I welcome the opportunity to respond to your concern. The Second Amendment is a fundamental right of every American. Many Alaskans depend on their firearms for protection, hunting and recreation. Rather than infringing on our Constitutional right to bear arms, the government needs to work harder to enforce existing laws and to provide law enforcement with the resources necessary to keep our citizens safe. As you know, H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act, would remove suppressors from the jurisdiction of the National Firearms Act. Currently, in order to purchase a suppressor, a citizen must go through a lengthy and complicated process. This bill would eliminate the federal tax on firearm suppressors and ease many of the current licensing requirements that currently make a suppressor more difficult to purchase than a firearm. Thus far, a Senate companion to H.R. 3799 has not yet been introduced, but as discussion on this issue continues in the Senate, I will be sure to keep your comments in mind.Thank you again for contacting me on this issue. If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me or my staff. My office can be reached at 202-224-3004, or online at www.sullivan.senate.gov.Sincerely,

Dan Sullivan
United States Senator 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top