Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2016 4:56:25 PM EDT
Just a few quick questions as far as winter driving goes. Do  you guys prefer running studs or stud less on your cars/trucks and is it worth throwing a bit of weight in the back of the car?

At the moment I'm running A/T tires with no weight in the back of my SUV and have managed to have a few close calls when the ass end broke free on the ice.

Thanks for any tips.

Edit: I hate spell check
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never used studs so I can't comment on that

I have always driven SUVs and Trucks with A/T tires as well

A little weight wont hurt for sure, but IMO isn't really necessary

Are you driving a RWD/FWD/AWD/4WD SUV?
I generally drive in the on demand 4WD with my truck and that seems to make a difference with starts

As for general driving, slow down some and you should notice a difference.  Stay away from the polished areas of the road if possible

Are there certain situations you are having trouble with?
View Quote

It's got 2WD/AWD/4WD, been running in in AWD for the past week or so and it seems to be doing ok.
Trust me I've been taking my time, likely to the annoyance of other drivers but I stay in the slow lane. Fourtinatly Im always headed the opposite direction of the majority of traffic.
So far the biggest issues have been using the on ramps to get on the Glenn, where the back and has started to break loose. Might be do to hitting the polished sections as you mentioned. Once on the Glenn it seems to do just fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive a 99 Jeep just fine with 4WD and A/T tires. I prefer the ones that are more purpose built for snow but any AT should function in a pinch. I don't drive all over Alaska in the winter however and usually just drive the 15 or so miles from Eagle River into Anchorage and back out. IMO if you intend to do a lot of highway mileage it is worth it to buy a set of studs for 4WD AWD etc, vehicles. I used to throw a couple sand bags in the back of my vehicle but in recent years I tend to keep 30lbs of range gear and some emergency equipment anyways so I have a substitute for traction sand.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
M+S rated A/T tires and I leave the truck in 4WD pretty much all winter.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
M+S rated A/T tires and I leave the truck in 4WD pretty much all winter.  

View Quote

This,  about as simple as it get`s and works
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Drive 4x4 pick-up with hubs turned in all the time.

Only put in 4x4 when needed.

Studded winter tires are a must.

Have 400 pounds in the back for weight.

Drive slower

Allow more distance for stopping

Be ready to put transmission in neutral.

No sudden turns or using the brakes hard.

Have had to put chains on all 4 tires when it gets very slippery.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Drive with caution, don't go 100mph everywhere you go, just because you have a 4wd.

Experience helps out more than tire setup, if you never driven in the snow, I would take every advantage you can get.

Studs help out alot when its icy, they help you stop (especially when you have to stop suddenly), and they help when the road curves.

Born and raised in Alaska and have been to over 30 countries. I have to say, besides the middle east, Alaska has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. On top of all the alcohol related accidents there as well.

Take your time in the winter, never go immediately when the light turns green, somehow in the past few years a red light has become a suggestion and not a symbol to stop.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Still need to replace at least my front tires. I'm driving my little Mini S around in what are slicks at this point essentially

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I just drive around in my forester with no weight and try to pick up lesbians... but I can cruise the strip quickly and hit on atleast 15 of them in the time it takes you to hit on one..
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
So I wasn't to far off with my SUVs set up then. Just threw 240 pounds in the back the other day, so we shall see it that helps keep in in place a little better. As for the tires ill leave them as they are and if it comes to it ill have the tire shop put some in.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Drive with caution, don't go 100mph everywhere you go, just because you have a 4wd.

Experience helps out more than tire setup, if you never driven in the snow, I would take every advantage you can get.

Studs help out alot when its icy, they help you stop (especially when you have to stop suddenly), and they help when the road curves.

Born and raised in Alaska and have been to over 30 countries. I have to say, besides the middle east, Alaska has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. On top of all the alcohol related accidents there as well.

Take your time in the winter, never go immediately when the light turns green, somehow in the past few years a red light has become a suggestion and not a symbol to stop.

View Quote

And those worst of the worst drivers are probably military wives from down south in a 4WD.

I usually drive a Toyota with the hubs locked in September, and unlock them in April.  I usually drive in 4x4 on the highways, and disengage driving in parking lots and sharp corners.

Wife drives a Forester with AWD and Hakkapolita studded tires.  If she has problems with that combination, and she never has, most of the other drivers are in the ditch already.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The biggest mistake I see drivers make is slam on the brakes when they want to stop and slam on the gas when they want to go and just spin the tires. Gradual if the tires spin let of the gas and let them get a grip. Brake gradually. Leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The biggest mistake I see drivers make is slam on the brakes when they want to stop and slam on the gas when they want to go and just spin the tires. Gradual if the tires spin let of the gas and let them get a grip. Brake gradually. Leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you.
View Quote

Absolutely this.  Especially folks that just PCS up here and have zero idea what they want to do.

In all fairness that will be me this winter though.  Relearning how to drive stick since it's been almost a decade.  Gotta remember that I need to shift
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And those worst of the worst drivers are probably military wives from down south in a 4WD.

I usually drive a Toyota with the hubs locked in September, and unlock them in April.  I usually drive in 4x4 on the highways, and disengage driving in parking lots and sharp corners.

Wife drives a Forester with AWD and Hakkapolita studded tires.  If she has problems with that combination, and she never has, most of the other drivers are in the ditch already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This--Nokian Hakkapeliitta are well worth the $400 bucks a set over the cost of other snow tires. They last much longer so you get your money back

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I highly recommend the studded HP's the others have mentioned above...biggest thing is slow down, and be looking far ahead...best thing to do is find a big open area with nothing around(including curbs) and figure out what your rig does when it does break loose...I always teach that if you get in trouble get off the brakes/gas and just steer around things....it's all about being smooth, driving like you have an egg loose on the dash and don't want a mess...that goes for all controls..gas/brakes/steering inputs...smooth is better...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top