Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 12:03:08 PM EDT
All of the native communities' problems are now solved.

Voters have set in motion the process of changing the name of the northernmost community in Alaska from the English "Barrow" back to the Inupiaq "Utqiagvik."

The canvass committee certified the results of the city's primary election showing voters approving the name-change ordinance. The action came on Monday, which was Indigenous People's Day.

"It reclaims our beautiful Inupiaq language," said Mayor Bob Harcharek.

In late August, city council member Qaiyaan Harcharek introduced the ordinance. As the Sounder reported following that meeting, the ordinance's authors wrote:

"To do so would acknowledge, honor and be a reclamation of our beautiful language which is moribund."

The authors also acknowledged that Inupiaq is the "original, ancestral language of this area and our people" and that returning to Utqiagvik would "promote pride in identity" and would "perpetuate healing and growth from the assimilation and oppression from the colonists."

Some opponents of the measure were concerned the name change would cost the city money, both in terms of changing all official references to the name on things like stationery and signage, and the loss of emotional capital or recognition that come along with the name Barrow for tourism and business.
View Quote

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rural-alaska/2016/10/13/barrow-voters-support-name-change-to-utqiagvik/
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
A rose by any other name is still a rose....

Nice picture of cultural oppression there.  I wonder how many of them will starve or freeze this winter if the hunting is poor?  I am all for recognizing our roots, but hearing claptrap like "oppression from the colonists" is like a red flag in a bullfight.  The old Native way of life is dead and will never return.  At heart, I doubt if more than a handful would really go back to the 1800's or before if they could.  At bottom, it is all romanticism.  

I understand wanting to go back to an earlier time.  The Alaska I grew up in is gone, but there is nowhere else to go.

If I want to hear about oppression, I'll find an Aleut to talk to.  Oh, wait, most of them were killed by the Russians.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Not nearly as fun to say at Tatitlek and Atqasuk
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
YES, BARROW is SO oppressed by  the Koreans that  make their  pizza, the Samoans that  haul  away the honey buckets, the  Filipinos that  clean  the schools,  hospital,and municipal buildings, as well as the never ending stream of doctors, dentists, nurses, teachers, cops, public works technicians and mechanics from the Lower 48 states.

. That is clearly OPPRESSION, and it will  not cease until the day after they Re-Name  their fair town...

In other news,  The residents of the furthest North community in Alaska will next vote on a resolution to  begin using the Historical, traditional terms for  "Gasoline", "Airplane",  "Internet", "X-Box", and "Fourwheeler"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top