Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2016 8:03:22 PM EDT
Imagine that, when rich and vibrant people get rich and vibrant, people get shot.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/dead-injured-in-shooting-at-fairbanks-nightclub/article_b46c70fa-72d2-11e6-99b1-83dc428e766c.html

1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Fairbanks nightclub
Kevin Baird, [email protected] Updated 4 hrs ago   (…)

FAIRBANKS — A shooting inside Bojangles nightclub early this morning left one person dead and two injured, according to Fairbanks Police Department spokeswoman Yumi McColloch

Names are being withheld until police notify the next of kin.

Police were dispatched to Bojangles at 2:37 a.m. after receiving reports of a fight and subsequent gunshots fired inside the club, and then outside the club, located on the corner of South Cushman Street and Airport Way.

When police arrived they found two gunshot victims. McCulloch said it is not clear whether the first victim was dead on arrival, or if the victim died at the hospital. An ambulance transported them to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. The second victim had life-threatening injuries and is listed in critical condition.

A third victim drove himself to FMH to receive treatment for a minor gunshot wound.

In a phone interview McCulloch said nobody had been arrested as of 10:40 a.m., and police are still investigating.

McCulloch said FPD urges anyone with video footage of the shooting to send it to [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Imagine that, when rich and vibrant people get rich and vibrant, people get shot.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/dead-injured-in-shooting-at-fairbanks-nightclub/article_b46c70fa-72d2-11e6-99b1-83dc428e766c.html

1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Fairbanks nightclub
Kevin Baird, [email protected] Updated 4 hrs ago   (…)

FAIRBANKS — A shooting inside Bojangles nightclub early this morning left one person dead and two injured, according to Fairbanks Police Department spokeswoman Yumi McColloch

Names are being withheld until police notify the next of kin.

Police were dispatched to Bojangles at 2:37 a.m. after receiving reports of a fight and subsequent gunshots fired inside the club, and then outside the club, located on the corner of South Cushman Street and Airport Way.

When police arrived they found two gunshot victims. McCulloch said it is not clear whether the first victim was dead on arrival, or if the victim died at the hospital. An ambulance transported them to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. The second victim had life-threatening injuries and is listed in critical condition.

A third victim drove himself to FMH to receive treatment for a minor gunshot wound.

In a phone interview McCulloch said nobody had been arrested as of 10:40 a.m., and police are still investigating.

McCulloch said FPD urges anyone with video footage of the shooting to send it to [email protected]
View Quote

Bojangles night club....
You can't make this shit up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Same guy who owned Rock n' Rodeo and Hideout. Surprised?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Michael Jeremy Hodges, 27, of Fairbanks, died at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital despite the lifesaving efforts of a good Samaritan, emergency medical services and emergency room doctors, according to a FPD news release.

Jesse Craig Anderson, 25, of Fairbanks, is in critical condition and remains in the intensive care unit at FMH.

Breannah Jayde Mitchell, 22, drove herself to the hospital and was treated for a minor gun shot wound and released.

Quoted:
View Quote

I know who you are talking about, but for the life of me his name is skipping my mind.  Gotta agree though, have a shitty club, expect shitty clientele.  Then again, if I were going to a club, I'd expect piano, lounge singers, marble counters, and black tie requirements.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Michael Jeremy Hodges, 27, of Fairbanks, died at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital despite the lifesaving efforts of a good Samaritan, emergency medical services and emergency room doctors, according to a FPD news release.

Jesse Craig Anderson, 25, of Fairbanks, is in critical condition and remains in the intensive care unit at FMH.

Breannah Jayde Mitchell, 22, drove herself to the hospital and was treated for a minor gun shot wound and released.

I know who you are talking about, but for the life of me his name is skipping my mind.  Gotta agree though, have a shitty club, expect shitty clientele.  Then again, if I were going to a club, I'd expect piano, lounge singers, marble counters, and black tie requirements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Curtis Hatcher
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Crime is rising almost exactly matching when the crime bill passed. We have had 500 more cases this summer overall than last and the bulk of those were in August. Serious crimes are going up too car thefts assaults etc. Not just petty stuff.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Crime is rising almost exactly matching when the crime bill passed. We have had 500 more cases this summer overall than last and the bulk of those were in August. Serious crimes are going up too car thefts assaults etc. Not just petty stuff.
Pat
View Quote

Yup, I was talking to a friend in DoC and another involved in pretrial about this the other week.  Everyone agrees the crime bill was an insanely bad idea, but .gov knows what they are doing.  

And they wonder why the numbers for people leaving state are shooting up this year.  Fuck people by raising crime, lowering the PFD, etc.  Fewer and fewer incentives to stay in state.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a crime bill ?

Did  shooting up a bar at 2 oclock in the morning  recently  become  legal behavior ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is a crime bill ?

Did  shooting up a bar at 2 oclock in the morning  recently  become  legal behavior ?
View Quote

No but criminals who would otherwise be in jail are out and able to shoot up bars at 2 in the morning.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Alaska Senate Bill 91
It significantly changed the criminal justice system
Raised the threshold for crimes to bump to next level of seriousness
Essentially made misdemeanor crimes ticketable (non-arrestable) offense
Lowered the bail requirements
Lowered Sentencing
You can now refuse to blow on an intox and not lose your license if you are not convicted of DUI

I am sure Pat can give you some more insight
It was sold as a way to reduce the cost of housing prisoners when in reality it just shifts the cost to LE who must continually deal with these people and the communities who are seeing crime blow through the roof
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a crime bill ?

Alaska Senate Bill 91
Lowered Sentencing
You can now refuse to blow on an intox and not lose your license if you are not convicted of DUI

It was sold as a way to reduce the cost of housing prisoners when in reality it just shifts the cost to LE who must continually deal with these people and the communities who are seeing crime blow through the roof

On the lowered bail all misdemeanors except Domestic violence crimes are released on the own recognizance. All drug possession charges are treated like misdemeanors now.  Penalties have gone down drastically. We are literally seeing a revolving door now.
pat
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On the lowered bail all misdemeanors except Domestic violence crimes are released on the own recognizance. All drug possession charges are treated like misdemeanors now.  Penalties have gone down drastically. We are literally seeing a revolving door now.
pat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a crime bill ?

Alaska Senate Bill 91
Lowered Sentencing

pat

What my friend in DoC is saying was that a lot of stuff just ticket to appear now, and the people never show either.  It's a fucking mess.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Pat
View Quote
But we're saving money by not incarcerating criminals
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pat

Just transferring the costs to the citizens through higher insurance rates and medical bills.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What my friend in DoC is saying was that a lot of stuff just ticket to appear now, and the people never show either.  It's a fucking mess.
View Quote

Not showing up to court is a violation (ticket) and no longer criminal under this bill.  Driving on a suspended DL in most cases now is a traffic ticket just like running a stop sign.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which is directly offset by the increased burden on the LE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pat

Which is directly offset by the increased burden on the LE

Which is small compared to the cost imposed on honest residents.  For every fix a junkie gets, some property owner paid for that fix several times over by a break in or theft.  That cost is multiplied by the cost of replacement or upgraded security in some fasion.  We even have to watch our trash so the wrong people don't steal it for identity theft purposes.

There is also the corrosive effect on the community.  There are parts of the Matsu Valley I would not knock on doors for fear of getting shot by a homeowner.  My wife drives slow, and drove slow through Victoria Estates when she got yelled at by a homeowner for casing out the neighborhood.  It shocked her to catch that kind of abuse.

But this is not news.  This cause and effect - and the reverse - have been seen many times over decades anywhere there is a budget crunch, most famously (and pretty recent) in NYC.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
The "cost" is the quality of life. However we will be seeing more incidents like the one recently in Anchorage where the homeowner confronted people attempting to break into his truck. Shot the bad guy multiple times.

Quoted:

Don't disagree with this at all
My point was they sold this as a huge money saver when in fact it is just shifting the cost from state government to local governments

Some of the testimony I heard during legislative hearings just made me shake my head
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which is small compared to the cost imposed on honest residents.

Don't disagree with this at all
My point was they sold this as a huge money saver when in fact it is just shifting the cost from state government to local governments

Some of the testimony I heard during legislative hearings just made me shake my head

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep wondering why we don't have mandatory sentencing for some of these crimes?  Why are we letting judges create a revolving door?  Force the Legislative Branch to work on what decisions need to be taken away from the judges or DA's that perpetuate this mess and put these criminals away.  What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#21]
double post...
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I keep wondering why we don't have mandatory sentencing for some of these crimes?  Why are we letting judges create a revolving door?  Force the Legislative Branch to work on what decisions need to be taken away from the judges or DA's that perpetuate this mess and put these criminals away.  What am I missing here?
View Quote

Didn't walker fire a DA in the bush for being to harsh?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Money is the main thing missing. People need to be willing to pay for the cost of more prisions, judges, etc and right now they are not even happy about losing 1000 dollars of free money.
Pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top