Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2016 3:50:04 AM EDT
Making the entire fair non smoking will be a mistake. The smoking areas were kind of fucked up as its all outside, but making the entire grounds non smoking and having people go 40 feet out the gate? lol it's OUTSIDE for fucks sake.

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering if there would be refer tents next to the beer tents in coming years.  Guess not
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I thinking the shitshow of a traffic jam thanks to QAP being a terrible contractor will have a massive effect as well
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Making the entire fair non smoking will be a mistake. The smoking areas were kind of fucked up as its all outside, but making the entire grounds non smoking and having people go 40 feet out the gate? lol it's OUTSIDE for fucks sake.

Aviator
View Quote

They said they same thing about the bars down here and no drop in attendance happened people just went outside and the bars are actually tolerable to go into now with no chance of dying from second hand smoke. Good change. Also non smokers out number smokers so by making this chance your likely to get more attendance from non smokers who don't want to deal with breaking in 2nd hand smoke all day at the fair.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Smoking doesn't bother me, I actually like the smell (but don't smoke myself)...but no carrying?  Not even a knife?

May have to tell the wife to go by herself
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thinking the shitshow of a traffic jam thanks to QAP being a terrible contractor will have a massive effect as well
View Quote

I think they got some of it finished up today.  Both lanes were open going home tonight to the valley.  Still some painting to do south bound.  QAP is not totally responsible for that shit show out there and the traffic jam.  That blame rests squarely on State DOT.  They had plenty of time and options at the interchange area to keep a couple of lanes open at those bridges the whole time.  They put this stuff out for bid, and the contractor builds it the way the State designed it.  Ken Thomas with DOT is involved in approving the traffic control plan, and don't even get me started about him.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I noticed they were both open last night as well. When i talked to QAP after phase 1 they said the asphault plant broke and they were 2 weeks behind already at that point
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They said they same thing about the bars down here and no drop in attendance happened people just went outside and the bars are actually tolerable to go into now with no chance of dying from second hand smoke. Good change. Also non smokers out number smokers so by making this chance your likely to get more attendance from non smokers who don't want to deal with breaking in 2nd hand smoke all day at the fair.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

For starters, it Outside.n Second, was it that hard to not walk through one of the 5 smoking areas inside the fairgrounds in the last 2 years? They were well of the footpath.

As far as the bar thing. They did loose business. the drop just leveled off. I bet you if you were to open a smoking bar in Anchorage, it would be the busiest place in town. But you can't, it's against the law. Too bad business owners cannot make that choice for themselves in Anchorage and Palmer.

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Strangely if I want to open a business that allows grown men to hit me in the head with baseball bats it is legal. but allowing smoking in a bar isillegal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The one smoking area I saw was kind of funny, looked like a cage for wild animals it was so small.

Wife and I had a good time though. Shit ton of people, nice and warm, but it was good.

Ate a pork chop on a stick and cheese curds, yum! Also tried an elephant ear, very good, almost like naan with cinnamon and sugar.

I don't recall seeing any "no weapons" signs there. And definitely no search/wands.  Funny the website says no knives, but that pork chop on a stick leaves you with a pretty good little shank. And then of course you can buy knives inside the fair
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I didn't see any weapon signs anywhere either....I swear I saw them last year.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The one smoking area I saw was kind of funny, looked like a cage for wild animals it was so small.

Wife and I had a good time though. Shit ton of people, nice and warm, but it was good.

Ate a pork chop on a stick and cheese curds, yum! Also tried an elephant ear, very good, almost like naan with cinnamon and sugar.

I don't recall seeing any "no weapons" signs there. And definitely no search/wands.  Funny the website says no knives, but that pork chop on a stick leaves you with a pretty good little shank. And then of course you can buy knives inside the fair
View Quote

So no drop in attendance due to no smoking policy as I predicted.
pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top