Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2016 8:51:13 PM EDT
Hey big guy. My wife took the best eagle pic ever and I would like to know about copyrighting. She wants to print and distribute the pic, correctly.
IM or call me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Moved?? To where?

Must have been moved into NP's treehouse. Or possibly his new Ferrari we are going to cruise in this weekend when I get off duty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, saw the time stamp. Just making light of it.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Perfect timing since I was taking eagle photos yesterday  One of them was being a gigantic bastard when I was fishing with my family.  Would only fly by when I was casting or pulling in fish.  Of course, my sister thought me swearing at the bird and giving it the finger was hilarious.

There are a couple things on copyright.  You already have rights to the image when you create it.  I have my camera imbed copyright info into the photos when they are taken, plus watermarking them.  That is the bare minimum.  It needs owner name, copyright or the C in a circle and publication dates.  If you have photoshop, if you have the image open, go to file>file info and it should open up an editor to where you can add metadata to the file.  

From there, you can register the image with the copyright office at $35 a pop, last I heard.  That is the big legal iron clad stick.  The other works 99% of the time if you have to issue a DMCA notice, but if push comes to shove, the full legal copyright is good.  Personally, I've never registered anything simply because I don't think I've had any good enough to do it with.

If someone strips the copyright from an image, it's legally defined as a wilful act against the copyright and opens them up to damages.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice. Thanks. We have some great pics, is it really worth it? We would like to share/sell some and I don't think they will be stolen and if they are... so what. I just don't want someone claiming them as their own.

Watermark? They are on the computer. Do I like put some water on the screen or something? Wipe it, like with a rag...
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. Thanks. We have some great pics, is it really worth it? We would like to share/sell some and I don't think they will be stolen and if they are... so what. I just don't want someone claiming them as their own.

Watermark? They are on the computer. Do I like put some water on the screen or something? Wipe it, like with a rag...
View Quote

Smartass  

Honestly, unless you are making a ton of money off them I'd just imbed data and do a watermark in photoshop.  Pretty easy to do and only takes a few seconds.  Since I take so many photos, I literally made the watermark a paintbrush in PS, then I just have to adjust the opacity of it before clicking.

I do need to update it to 2016 though.  Almost 3/4 though the year and I still am stamping 2015
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Got it. Thanks. Not going to make a ton of money, was just going to print a calendar.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got it. Thanks. Not going to make a ton of money, was just going to print a calendar.
View Quote

Should be fine then

Would have responded sooner, but been getting my ass run ragged this week.  Been fun, but man I hurt.  I'm not getting out of bed come the weekend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top