Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2016 8:29:48 AM EDT
Looks like it's on the Governor's desk ready for him to sign it.  All indications are that he supports it.

So get ready to have more of your shit stolen...
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
pardon my ignorance but "relating to the disqualification of persons convicted of certain felony drug offenses from participation in the food stamp and temporary assistance programs" sounds like an awesome plan.

"relating to treatment program credit for time spent toward service of a sentence of imprisonment" kinda rubs me the wrong way but  hell local judges already are doing it for college coeds .

"relating to permanent fund dividends" is the only one that concerns me.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a gigantic bill, 122 pages of amendments.  I read a short article that talked about changing some non-violent felony offenses to misdemeanor instead, potentially some concern there depending on the offense.

What else is the major concern with the bill?

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What I'm seeing about PFD is talking about offenders repayment of cost of imprisonment with their potential PFD and an exemption relating to garnishment/etc of a person's PFD in relation to child support/restitution/etc.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What I'm seeing about PFD is talking about offenders repayment of cost of imprisonment with their potential PFD and an exemption relating to garnishment/etc of a person's PFD in relation to child support/restitution/etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, you can go to jail for 6 months of the year at public expense then get "free money" from the PFD?? HELL NO!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, for anyone who hasn't read the bill, it decriminalizes heroin and the like. C Felony crimes are now no jail time offenses. Some offense penalties are upgraded, like failure to appear, but for the most part, the bill is a sell out to criminals. Basically it says to write citations for felony offenses, don't burden the system.

Get ready for someone stealing your shit for heroin, cops unable to help you. If they find a way to help you, the offender will not be sentenced to any time. House arrest, probation, treatment, etc.

It upped the limit for a felony theft from the recent $750.00 limit to $1000.00, adjusted for inflation.

I haven't made it through the entire bill, maybe there is a silver lining in it somewhere toward the end. I haven't made it past the court services officer portion that is supposed to help all criminals get through the paperwork process, in addition to their court appointed attorney.

With the budget concerns, it amazes me that they are cutting DA offices, cutting positions, cutting court magistrates, but not public defenders or investigators, and adding some kind of court services officer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy hell  Well now I know why the folks I know in the court system are so pissed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, for anyone who hasn't read the bill, it decriminalizes heroin and the like. C Felony crimes are now no jail time offenses. Some offense penalties are upgraded, like failure to appear, but for the most part, the bill is a sell out to criminals. Basically it says to write citations for felony offenses, don't burden the system.

Get ready for someone stealing your shit for heroin, cops unable to help you. If they find a way to help you, the offender will not be sentenced to any time. House arrest, probation, treatment, etc.

It upped the limit for a felony theft from the recent $750.00 limit to $1000.00, adjusted for inflation.

I haven't made it through the entire bill, maybe there is a silver lining in it somewhere toward the end. I haven't made it past the court services officer portion that is supposed to help all criminals get through the paperwork process, in addition to their court appointed attorney.

With the budget concerns, it amazes me that they are cutting DA offices, cutting positions, cutting court magistrates, but not public defenders or investigators, and adding some kind of court services officer.
View Quote

Yep this is right on the mark. This bill stinks for everyone citizens and cops. Only group it is good for is dirt bags.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I can tell you that in some ways they are starting to go that way. All misdemeanor arrests wither it be assaults or thefts are "released on own recognizance." This includes DUIs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That was a court directive a couple months ago though, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can tell you that in some ways they are starting to go that way. All misdemeanor arrests wither it be assaults or thefts are "released on own recognizance." This includes DUIs.

That was a court directive a couple months ago though, correct?

Correct but the courts are under the legislature. All the magistrates are citing some Pew Research study about bail. Also they've issued OR warrants for misdos. DOC has already said they bored due to no one being remanded.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top