Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2016 4:51:50 PM EDT
WHAT AM I MESSING UP?

So I put out my first bait last week. Its in a low spot with in a hundred yards of a creek fed pond in a clearing in a wooded area full of moose trails. Granted its a little muskeggy and still damp but there is tons of new growth and even cranberries starting to grow. I found some but not a lot of what looked like autumn bear scat on the quad trail going about 100y by the area I baited. I put out a 55 gal drum full of popcorn, dog food, and bacon ends as well as bacon grease and I scented the area pretty well with caramel extract diluted in fry oil.

So would you believe it when I told you that a week later my bait was completely untouched? Only two pics on the trail cam and neither one was a bear.

BTW this is near an area where I shot a black bear last year so I know there are in the vicinity.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had luck using sweets.  Jelly donuts and such.  The other thing i've done is use tampons soaked in maple syrup and hang them around the barrel out of reach.  Only baited once.  Had a grizz hitting the barrel for a week or two but had two or three blacks hit it after that.  Of course never while I was out there
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
It's really slow this spring. Not many bears moving in my area yet. Keep feeding the can dog food and doughnuts. They will come eventually.

Until that day,
Darkop

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
how hard is the bear baiting class? I have wanted to get a black bear for a while and since I suck at tracking, getting the bear to show up at MY spot is ideal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
When I did the class 10 years ago it was stupid easy.  It was more of a presentation than a class.  Lots of do this, don't do that.  In and out in like 2 hours.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how hard is the bear baiting class? I have wanted to get a black bear for a while and since I suck at tracking, getting the bear to show up at MY spot is ideal.
View Quote

It was offered online and was easy not sure if it still is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top