Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2016 12:44:40 PM EDT
Hey all, my wife and I are moving into a condo in eagle River and we're looking at internet service providers. GCI seems to be the big dog in the market, but are there any other options? A cap in data per month is a bit obnoxious
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I use MTA in Eagle River. I get the speed that I pay for, and has been good so far.

MTA Internet
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A cap in data per month is a bit obnoxious
View Quote

Get used to that. It seems that they all have it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Not in Eagle River, just north in Wasilla, but we went with GCI. 50Mbps, 150GB should be plenty? Maybe lol.

But I am getting just about 50Mbps exactly...though my old router is slowing me down, need something newer than 2004 apparently.

Keep that in mind too, GCI gives you the cable modem, 1 ethernet port. You provide your own wireless router. Not sure about MTA in this respect. But GCI was stupid easy, went to the store, gave them my info, walked out with the modem (no pay), plugged it in and away we went.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Got my new router in today finally, man is Amazon slow as shit to ship stuff here.  I get that it could take longer to arrive, but to not ship it for days and days in the first place is just insane.

Anyway....I can easily see blowing through 150GB in a month.  If you're watching a couple HD shows a day or movies, doing Cisco IP phone calls for work, etc, etc...it can go fast.  We may end up moving to 100Mbps.  I do like that it doesn't automatically add data, of course going back to less than 1Mbps could be fun for the duration of a month  But then again, I did fine with 128K DSL for years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Pay close attention to your bills from "General Communist Incorporated".

Internet seems to go really fast on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top