Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2016 10:12:32 AM EDT
Hey guys, wife and I will start our trek up to Alaska next month sometime.  Any tips or recommendations when driving through Canada on the way, places to stop/stay/avoid?  Tentative route has us entering Saskatchewan from North Dakota, head northwest at Saskatoon, through Edmonton, up to 97 through BC into Yukon Territory and taking the Alaska Highway from there.  Going to try and make it a 6 or 7 day drive.

Also, any thoughts on cell phones?  We've got AT&T, so I know the coverage is there...until we hit somewhere in Yukon Territory, then I think it's non-existent.  But to avoid an insane bill, any tips?  AT&T has a passport plan to ease the pain a little, but it just gets me unlimited text and 128MB of data I think, calls are $1/min.  My initial thought is just shut off the phones once we hit Canada

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Your route sounds good.  Edmonton is kind of amazing.  

You'll lose phone service in the Yukon for sure.  Texting is a good way to go.

Otherwise, it's not like it used to be.  There are services everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ATT has a plan (it was an extra $15 or $30 per month)that gives you call and a set number of text messages.  Data for surfing was expensive
We came up last summer from Idaho.  Our route from Edmonton north to Fairbanks will be the same
Route was Spokane - Edmonton.  
We overnighted in Edmonton and spent the next morning at the West Edmonton mall.  It is huge, impressive and was a good chance for us to get out and get some exercise (we walked 6 miles in the mall)

Roads were awesome until you got to Beaver Creek.  From Beaver Creek to the border they were shitty
We has planned on spending the night in Beaver Creek but were making good time and called ahead to Tok and confirmed rooms available at Fast Eddy's.  We made it to Tok but got to Fast Eddy's 7 minutes after closing and despite there being rooms available and staff at the desk, they refused to rent a room as it was after closing.  I offered the clerk $50 to do it and he still said no.  We ended up making the push all the way to Fairbanks that night.

We had no issues at either border crossing.  The border agent at the the Canadian entry asked me at least 6 different ways if I was carrying or possessed any firearms.  I have heard rumor that they have access to the database of Alaska concealed permit holders.  I did have gun powder in the truck and she didn't carry about that.  Coming through the American checkpoint they border agent saw the dealer promo "plates" on the truck and made the comment "when are the Alaska dealers going to learn?"  It was quick, easy and painless and we were there less than 5 minutes if memory serves me correctly.  

Some things that surprised me
1) If your credit/debit card doesn't have a "chip" in it, there are places that can not take it (no ability to swipe)(THIS!!)
2) The gas pumps are mostly not 24 hour pumps, don't assume you can gas up in the middle of the night(F***ING Watson lake!@!!)
3) Our visa card hit us with an "international charge fee" for every charge.  
4) Many places take US dollars but do not offer any exchange rate.  Currently it is $0.75 USD to 1 CND.  So if you choose to use US currency you will pay the CDN price whether you use USD or CDN
5) Other than Tok, we had zero issues with hotels.  After Edmonton, it was out plan to drive until we got tired and then grab a hotel room so we didn't make reservations from that point on.  We stayed in Ft St John   (It was about 8 hours from Edmonton with construction, but we were tired after spending half of the day at the W. Edmonton mall).  We stayed at the Pomery Inn and Suites and were very happy with the hotel.  Next stop was Laird Hot Springs and the Laird Hot Springs lodge.  I wasn't impressed with the hot springs and the lodge room was terrible at best (and fairly expensive).  My Kestrel weather station showed the room temperature at 89F and there were no screens on the window, so you either opened the window for the mosquitos or dealt with the heat.  From there we made the haul to Fairbanks (ended up being a 20ish hour day).  Grabbed food/groceries in Whitehorse.  From Beaver creek to the border, I think the highest speed we did was high 30s.  There were many stretches that it was 10mph or less.  IT SUCKS
6) If you can, bring a cooler and stock the shit out of snacks/sandwich/drinks.  I was amazed at how few places we came across at night that weren't open
7) Our GPS had a couple of issues due to road rerouting from construction.  Update your maps.
8) Outside of a couple of police in Edmonton, I don't remember seeing a Police Officer/Mountie on the entire trip.  
9) We didn't see much wildlife.  We saw a grizzly, a handful of moose (almost hit one at night as it ran out of the tree line), and the buffalo.  The buffalo were pretty cool.
10) There was a fairly long stretch of the highway that is a park of sorts.  If you want to stop you have to buy a pass prior to entry.  We didn't, but in hindsight, had we had more time I would have enjoyed taking some time in it
All in all it was a pretty easy, enjoyable drive
We bought a milepost which we didn't use much.  MILEPOST is quite fun for codriver to tell you about XYZ land feature, decently spent 15 bucks. YMMV
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate it guys.  I do have a 2015 Milepost, may pick up a 2016 here shortly just to be a little more up-to-date.

Bad part is, we'll each be driving a car, so beagle dog is my co-pilot  Looked at shipping her car, but it was about $3k.  Looked at selling it, but it's only a couple years old and wouldn't net a whole lot from it after paying off what we owe (not enough to buy the same car again later anyway).
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
2) The gas pumps are mostly not 24 hour pumps, don't assume you can gas up in the middle of the night

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

3) Our visa card hit us with an "international charge fee" for every charge.

It must vary by issuer, my card didn't charge a fee and used the daily exchange rate to calculate the cost.  It was pretty convenient to use.

8) Outside of a couple of police in Edmonton, I don't remember seeing a Police Officer/Mountie on the entire trip.

When I was younger I was ticketed more than once for speeding on the highway. The excuse that I was hurrying to get out of their country didn't seem to persuade them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm already towing a small trailer with my vehicle, no can do.  I'll talk to her some more about it, but most likely we'll just have to tough it out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a way to communicate between cars with out the cell phones?  I'd get some little walkie-talkie type radios if I was doing a long trip with two cars.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do you have a way to communicate between cars with out the cell phones?  I'd get some little walkie-talkie type radios if I was doing a long trip with two cars.
View Quote
Yup, I've got a couple handheld radios I was planning to use.  Just need to make sure the wife leaves her lead foot in Texas

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea don't. I hate their gun laws and refuse to travel through there.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
What sort of elevation changes would I be looking at on this drive, and any huge up and downhills?  May determine if I do a trailer at all, or at least what size. I'll be driving a 2013 Outback 2.5i auto CVT.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Make time to stop at laird Hot springs.

Watch for buffalo in the road, at dusk they blend in with the roads.

Get a cinnamon roll from the place by Laird.

Carry a couple cans of gas and tire plugs just in case.

Enjoy the ride. Nice fom Edmonton on.

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What sort of elevation changes would I be looking at on this drive, and any huge up and downhills?  May determine if I do a trailer at all, or at least what size. I'll be driving a 2013 Outback 2.5i auto CVT.

Thanks!
View Quote

I just did this drive in January and it wasn't bad. The closer you get to AK the elevation changes will be up and down. I came all the way up from FL and went through ND just like you are planning to. My advice is there are some extreme up and downs going through the mountains and I was planning to pull a trailer with my Tacoma 4x4 but glad I didn't. Driving in the winter is 10x more nerve racking going down some of those hills. As like the other guys said driving at night in the remote areas needs to be planned accordingly due to the fact this is slow time of the year and most gas stations are not 24 hrs. My advice is to fill up whenever you can and not try and push it to the next station. Dawson Creek was the last town we were at that  I felt I ate a good meal and for the rest of the trip I felt like the fast food was going to kill me. For the most part it was a fantastic drive and when you are getting to destruction bay the view is insane! Enjoy the trip and drive safe.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Also by destruction bay there a Speed sign and a Mountie that is a stickler. Dang guy is there watching for speeders 24/7;-).  Get a photo with him.

It is 2 sheets of plywood made into a cop car and painted. It is amazing, probably the best brake check ever. Lol
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also by destruction bay there a Speed sign and a Mountie that is a stickler. Dang guy is there watching for speeders 24/7;-).  Get a photo with him.

It is 2 sheets of plywood made into a cop car and painted. It is amazing, probably the best brake check ever. Lol
View Quote

Gets me all the time..   lol

Aviator  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top