Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2016 3:24:25 PM EDT
My wife and I are going to be in Alaska this summer for 8 days. We have a pretty good idea of where we are going, where we are staying, and what we are doing for the most part. The one thing I hate to do when traveling is eat in a chain restaurant or a tourist trap. I want to find places where the locals eat or places that are a must to visit while in town. Any information on where to go and where to avoid in these towns or while traveling between these towns would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be in the following towns:
Anchorage- 2 nights
Seward- 2 full days/nights
Soldotna- 1 night
Travel between Soldotna and Talkeetna- 1 day
Talkeetna- 1 night
Denali National Park- 2 full days/nights
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Seward
Apollo Restaurant
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60873-d518718-Reviews-Apollo_Restaurant-Seward_Alaska.html

Chinooks
http://chinooksbar.com/
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seward
Apollo Restaurant
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60873-d518718-Reviews-Apollo_Restaurant-Seward_Alaska.html

Chinooks
http://chinooksbar.com/
View Quote

Thanks. Adding those to the list.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Thanks. That is one place I was worried about finding a good place to eat. I figured for the most part everything at Denali would be a tourist trap.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a little more granola fair, but Flying Squirrel in Talkeetna pretty good.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
We went to The Roadhouse in Talkeetna after we saw it in an episode of "Man vs Food" when we first moved up here.  It was amazing.  It's where we also first fell in love with Talkeetna hot sauces.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the 2 suggestions for Talkeetna. I will take a look at their menus and add them to our list.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We went to The Roadhouse in Talkeetna after we saw it in an episode of "Man vs Food" when we first moved up here.  It was amazing.  It's where we also first fell in love with Talkeetna hot sauces.  
View Quote

Since we are on the subject, where do you go to meet Mayor Stubbs?  Is he still alive?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure who "mayor stubbs" is.  We were just passing through Talkeetna on the way to Denali.

ETA...had to google it.  Forgot about the mayor.  He's still kickin it, but we didn't see any cats that looked particularly distinguished during our visit.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]
St. Elias Brewing Company in Soldotna/Kenai - good beers and pizza

Simon and Seaforts Anchorage - kind of the ubiquitous alaskan seafood and steak place

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
St. Elias Brewing Company in Soldotna/Kenai - good beers and pizza

Simon and Seaforts Anchorage - kind of the ubiquitous alaskan seafood and steak place

View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure who "mayor stubbs" is.  We were just passing through Talkeetna on the way to Denali.  

ETA...had to google it.  Forgot about the mayor.  He's still kickin it, but we didn't see any cats that looked particularly distinguished during our visit.  
View Quote

He is in the store. Can usually be found sleeping behind the cooler.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Anchorage

Orso's

Capt Cooks

Mooses Tooth

Glacier Brewhouse
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. Adding all of those to the list. My wife is allergic to dairy so she has to run through the menu for each place beforehand, so this is making it easy. I am glad yall are giving plenty of options.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Just north of Fairbanks, the Turtle Club for a good steak.

I can't believe no one mentioned Bean's Café in Anchorage....

Most places in Alaska are OK with casual clothing, but Bean's has strict rules that must be adhered to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just north of Fairbanks, the Turtle Club for a good steak.

I can't believe no one mentioned Bean's Café in Anchorage....

Most places in Alaska are OK with casual clothing, but Bean's has strict rules that must be adhered to.
View Quote

Thats just messed up you're gonna find a lot of pizza and beer places. Seems like after moose's tooth everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. Moose's Tooth is ok but theres way better places to eat in Anchorage in my opinion. Not really a fan or Orso, Glacier Brew house either

South, Arctic Roadrunner, Lucky Wishbone, Spenard Roadhouse all far superior anchorage options. DOUBLE MUSKY FOR THE WIN
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there a comprehensive micro-brewery list for the main highways?  We are traveling  Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks-McCarthy then back to Anchorage then Seward.  We may add Homer to that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
you're gonna find a lot of pizza and beer places. Seems like after moose's tooth everyone's jumping on the bandwagon.
View Quote

I was wondering if that is all Alaskans ate. Every town has a brewery/pizza place.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Is there a comprehensive micro-brewery list for the main highways?  We are traveling  Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks-McCarthy then back to Anchorage then Seward.  We may add Homer to that.
View Quote
  Try not to stop   at the tourist trap  named " Denali" is not  a real town.
 the town of       Healy is just North of the tourist trap.

On the East side of the road, just north of  bridge,  is 49th State Brewery, largest selection  of spirits,  GREAT burgers, and    many varieties of   local beer.. well worth the stop on your way to Fairbanks.

If you make it  to Homer,  try CUPS for dinner, on Pioneer Ave; Excellent fresh seafood, as well as  damn fine prime rib.

If you  can wade through the tourists, and IF you can get IN, the Little Mermaid on the  Homer Spit is REALLY, REALLY good food.  You have to drive  right past me to get there..

Also, Homer Brewing Co is a few blocks down the road, I can point you there.

PM when you get close, more info phone contact, etc.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Eaglequest on the way to Talkeetna, in Willow. Full disclosure, my wife owns the place...

Eaglequestalaska.com
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My wife and I are going to be in Alaska this summer for 8 days. We have a pretty good idea of where we are going, where we are staying, and what we are doing for the most part. The one thing I hate to do when traveling is eat in a chain restaurant or a tourist trap. I want to find places where the locals eat or places that are a must to visit while in town. Any information on where to go and where to avoid in these towns or while traveling between these towns would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be in the following towns:

Anchorage- 2 nights

Soldotna- 1 night

Talkeetna- 1 night

View Quote
Cancel your sleeping  arrangements in Soldotna and Denali. There is no good reason to spend more than 30 minutes in either location.

Seriously: Soldotna is a strip mall.  It is 90 minutes  car ride from here, we go there to SHOP.  Walgreens,  FredMeyers, Sportsmans , the whole city is  a shopping mall. 10 miles adjacent  is Kenai:  HomeDepot, Walmart, etc.

Denali is a Hotel chain.... That's  ALL it is,  built and  (seasonally) populated as a resort, it is  essentially a  landlocked cruise ship. Nobody lives in Denali, there are no houses, no schools,  it is not actually a  town at all.It opens  for tourists in spring, and they turn OFF the  traffic lights, and everything else in Fall.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cancel your sleeping  arrangements in Soldotna and Denali. There is no good reason to spend more than 30 minutes in either location.    Seriously: Soldotna is a strip mall.  It is 90 minutes  car ride from here, we go there to SHOP.  Walgreens,  FredMeyers, Sportsmans , the whole city is  a shopping mall. 10 miles adjacent  is Kenai:  HomeDepot, Walmart, etc.
Denali is a Hotel chain.... That's  ALL it is,  built and  (seasonally) populated as a resort, it is  essentially a  landlocked cruise ship. Nobody lives in Denali, there are no houses, no schools,  it is not actually a  town at all.It opens  for tourists in spring, and they turn OFF the  traffic lights, and everything else in Fall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anchorage- 2 nights
Soldotna- 1 night
Talkeetna- 1 night
Cancel your sleeping  arrangements in Soldotna and Denali. There is no good reason to spend more than 30 minutes in either location.    Seriously: Soldotna is a strip mall.  It is 90 minutes  car ride from here, we go there to SHOP.  Walgreens,  FredMeyers, Sportsmans , the whole city is  a shopping mall. 10 miles adjacent  is Kenai:  HomeDepot, Walmart, etc.

We plan to hike in the park in Denali. There are a few trails inside the park that I want to hike. It is more than we can do in one day, so we intend to stay 2 days to be able to see what we want inside the park. Pretty much any time spent there beside eating and sleeping will be spent inside the park hiking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Ray's in Seward and The Flats in Soldotna.

Travel between Soldotna and Talkeetna... Double Muskee in Girdwood.

Anchorage: Club Paris, Marx Bros. Bear's Tooth, Moose's Tooth, Southside Bistro, Simon and Seafort's, Midnight Sun, Fat Ptarmagin.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Momma O's seafood in Anchorage was very good.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Pike's Place in Fairbanks

Trophy Lodge in Delta Junction on the way to McCarthy

Black Rapids Lodge also on the way to McCarthy on the Richardson Hwy just before Paxson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top