Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Of course for that $375,000 in Vancouver (biggest city, like Anchorage) you will be living in a townhouse. So basically in an apartment that you own.

But wait! You kind of forgot, totally slipped your mind I'm sure, the 20-47% income tax rate (provincial and federal combined).

Now how much would you pay?!?

Act now and you will also pay 12% sales tax!!!

So if you are a high income earner you will get a deal on your 'house' tax, but oh by the way bend over and pay up to 59% on what you make.

Don't lie by omission and pretend that B.C. (or Canada) Is a taxpayer's paradise.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Dagnabit iPhone Double Tap!
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course for that $375,000 in Vancouver (biggest city, like Anchorage) you will be living in a townhouse. So basically in an apartment that you own.

But wait! You kind of forgot, totally slipped your mind I'm sure, the 20-47% income tax rate (provincial and federal combined).

So if you are a high income earner you will get a deal on your 'house' tax, but oh by the way bend over and pay up to 59% on what you make.

Don't lie by omission and pretend that B.C. (or Canada) Is a taxpayer's paradise.
View Quote

Am I going mad, or can't anyone read friggin' English on this forum?

I said BC never met a tax they don't like.  Believe me, I paid it for 4 years and did not get any of the tax breaks - or benefits like health care - as a non-resident alien.  

What I said in the last post, and previous posts, is that a $300k house in MatSu is taxed at $5k, where a $375k house in BC is taxed at <1k.  $375 buys a nice house in Prince George, and it is all that Chinese expat money driving Vancouver prices through the roof.  That is a hell of a difference, meant to highlight the fact that Alaskans do pay taxes.

Over and out on this thread.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]

We are already at the bread and water level.
Pat
View Quote

No we are not.  Here's just one example. The state gives revenue sharing money to my unincorporated area community corporation.  Part of that money is used to pay for free trash service for people and businesses.

Your definition of bread and water is way different than mine.  That of course is the crux of the problem.  Some people refuse to give up the handouts.  They now want to steal from more pockets so they can continue to have their booze and prime rib.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No we are not.  Here's just one example. The state gives revenue sharing money to my unincorporated area community corporation.  Part of that money is used to pay for free trash service for people and businesses.

Your definition of bread and water is way different than mine.  That of course is the crux of the problem.  Some people refuse to give up the handouts.  They now want to steal from more pockets so they can continue to have their booze and prime rib.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We are already at the bread and water level.
Pat

Your example of revenue sharing is gone on this last budget cycle. Hence why my community had a 1.3 million dollar short fall. Your right on the handouts. People don't want to give up their PFD even if it means not having adequate funding for roads, schools, police, fire etc. Also since you are not paying a dime in state taxes currently your argument they want to steel more from you is ridiculous. They are not taking any thing right now. You pay zilch zero in state taxes which is un heard of in the USA.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming all don't have income tax FYI.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
They are not taking any thing right now.
View Quote

I am a citizen of the state.  I, just like every other state resident, is ultimately on the hook for the states continued budget mismanagement.  that is taking from me.

ETA:  where are you seeing the revenue sharing as being gone?  if so - that's a great move!  The last reference I can find is that it paid out $57M in 2015 and Walker proposed a boost in revenue sharing by throwing another $50M at it for this year.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming all don't have income tax FYI.
View Quote

Those others have sales tax Its one or the other Alaska has neither.
http://www.salestaxinstitute.com/resources/rates

All the states you mention have sales tax look at the chart above.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am a citizen of the state.  I, just like every other state resident, is ultimately on the hook for the states continued budget mismanagement.  that is taking from me.

ETA:  where are you seeing the revenue sharing as being gone?  if so - that's a great move!  The last reference I can find is that it paid out $57M in 2015 and Walker proposed a boost in revenue sharing by throwing another $50M at it for this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They are not taking any thing right now.

I know for a fact ours is gone as well as half the funding for the state jail and they cut back on funding for one of the dispatch positions they were paying for since we dispatch in their area for medical and fire.  All together it was a 1.3 million dollar short fall for us that the employees had to pay for with a pay freeze an citizens had to pay for with increased utility rates.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

They also get health care and cheaper meds. If you look at what many people are having to pay for health care in this country as part of their income I bet you would see it top 50% in many cases.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I said BC never met a tax they don't like.  Believe me, I paid it for 4 years and did not get any of the tax breaks - or benefits like health care - as a non-resident alien.  

What I said in the last post, and previous posts, is that a $300k house in MatSu is taxed at $5k, where a $375k house in BC is taxed at <1k.  $375 buys a nice house in Prince George, and it is all that Chinese expat money driving Vancouver prices through the roof.  That is a hell of a difference, meant to highlight the fact that Alaskans do pay taxes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no state property tax. What you are complaining about is property tax which is on a local or borough level. Most other cities and counties down south also have to pay property tax. It has nothing to do with this discussion of state tax.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

I was strictly saying they don't have income tax.  Never made a mention of sales tax.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was strictly saying they don't have income tax.  Never made a mention of sales tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

I was saying we are the only state without any state tax outside of what we tax oil companies. (IE every other state has either a sales tax or an income tax) I am not sure which would be better a sales tax where we can hit the tourists or an income tax where we can hit out of state workers on the slope. But either way we need to raise revenue. We can't expect the oil companies to pay for all of our state services for us.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought a nonresident income tax would be one way to go about it. Lots of fisherman in Bristol Bay come up just for the money.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I dont think you could tax non residents only, but that is the thought behind the seasonal sales tax (tourist)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought a nonresident income tax would be one way to go about it. Lots of fisherman in Bristol Bay come up just for the money.

I dont think you could tax non residents only, but that is the thought behind the seasonal sales tax (tourist)

I think you are right but have not been able to find out for sure. I would love a non resident income tax coupled with a seasonal sales tax.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
In reply to discussions regarding cutting State agencies:  I'd like to point out that for the DOT at least, road work (or work on the ferry system for that matter) that the Federal Highway Administration participates in funding is paid for 90% Fed, 10% State in most instances.  I believe the same to be true for all the airports in the State and FAA funding.  So, while you can certainly look at cutting back on new road construction or upgrades to existing highway infrastructure and focus solely on maintenance, just realize that the vast majority of that funding is federal matching dollars.  

This isn't meant as an argument for or against, but just relating some information as I know it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Buried deep in this article today:

While Walker’s plan would cut $100 million from the state’s agency operating budget, the state’s total spending for next year would, in fact, increase by 1.2 percent. And the plan only guarantees dividends at $1,000 for one year; without that guarantee, dividends could be $500 or lower and would remain low unless oil prices rise, a top Walker administration official acknowledged in a legislative hearing Thursday.

What cuts he's making hardly make a dent, and the overall budget is still growing.  It's going to be like pulling teeth to get Walker to cut the budget significantly.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Big government and handouts is all these people understand.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#21]
We need to quit subsidizing the villages.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nevada has a 8.1% sales tax just so you know. Also a list of other "hidden" taxes on hotels , rental cars and a laundry list of other things much like anchorage. Also there aren't really
many well paying jobs in Nevada and their housing prices are slowly rebounding. Very slowly
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We need to quit subsidizing the villages.
View Quote

I am not sure that we do most villages I know of are funded by Native Corporation money.
pat
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]
What about the Fuel subsidy ? I think that is what they might be referring to
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top