Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 2:56:37 AM EDT
Just found out that I have an assignment to Alaska and Trying to find out if  anyone can  tell me the rules with driving to Alaska with ammo? Canada website say 5000 rounds but is that per person or vehicle? Also I will be shipping my firearms through Military TMO and am not sure if I can ship my suppressor with them as well. Anyone with any info  will be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
5000 rounds per vehicle is what I've always followed. I would ship the suppressor, or if your spouse is flying up at any point, bring it via airlines. Not sure about if they allow it in household goods, but I wouldn't trust them with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless the rules have changed in the last few months, you are able to travel through Canada with 5000 rounds of ammo per adult in the vehicle.  One can also bring 5000 rounds of primers, bullets and about 17lbs of powder per adult.  I am not sure what time of the year you are traveling, but you might look into using the Alaska ferry system.  A friend that retired last spring, left out of here on the ferry and landed in Washington state.  He transported all of his firearms, many of which are NOT allowed in Canada and did not have an issues.
Good luck on your travels.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info everyone, I do plan on taking a ferry up just need to figure out which one. I heard that us border/customs was confiscating US citizens ammo if they didn't have proper export/import paper work to travel through Canada to get to Alaska. Hopefully I find out Monday what fourms I need to fill out. Also I will not be traveling till next August/September time, so I've got time.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a thread not to long ago where a member explained the process to exceed the limits legally
Basically required a little paperwork and declaring the total amount of ammo
He made it sound painless
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There was a thread not to long ago where a member explained the process to exceed the limits legally

That was me.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_43/581206_Moving_after_42_years.html&page=2
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please don't sell all your ammo if you drive- you can get a transit permit to take it with you.  I just got mine for driving down next week for taking ~75kg of ammo with me.
Links for transit permit paperwork???    

Snip from email.   I can send you a completed copy of my form that got approved if you email me.

Hello jerrmy

You need to apply for an In Transit permit should you wish to transport in transit through Canada more than 5,000 rounds.  The application form is located here (under heading Importation):

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/publications/forms/9939

Do not hesitate to contact us should you have other questions.

Regards,

Pavel Zraly
Senior Inspector of Explosives
Explosives Regulatory Division
Natural Resources Canada
580 Booth Street
Ottawa, ON  K1A 0E4
Phone: (613) 948-5193
Fax: (613) 948-5195

The ferry will be a whole different can of worms- they have different restrictions than what I dealt with.  Unless you have a need to take the ferry I'd make the drive- it is pretty nice.  My wife and daughter took the ferry and thought it was pretty miserable honestly.  I drove up from NC in Jan 2008 and drove down to Colorado in May this year.  I left my NFA with someone on my trust until I could fly back (already planned) at a later date and shipped the rest of my firearms with the movers after taking a ton of pics of them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome! Thanks for the info, do you think that you could PM a copy of your old form filled out if you still have it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Just handled the exact same situation as you.  You coming to Wainwright or JBER?

I applied for a permit to transport my ammo and reloading components through the explosives regulatory division of the Canadian Natural Resources.  The Form is a F04-03C.  They're easier to deal with than the ATF.  Link to form:

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/publications/forms/9939

I crossed the border with about 15,000 rounds, fifty pounds of gun powder, and thirty thousand primers with no issue.  They didn't even search the vehicle.  I had a very neat folder with all the forms for myself, my passengers, my pets, the weapons I had, and the ammunition.  

For your NFA items, you can ship them to yourself, care of an NFA dealer (in the Fairbanks area Bowman Arms or Alaska Illusive Arms are my recommendations).  Basically the package is addressed to you, they receive it, don't open it, and you pick it up when you get here.  

I registered all the weapons I couldn't drive through Canada with the TMO with the intent of the mover taking them.  They showed up and stated they were driving through Canada.  I asked to see the permits they had for ARs, suppressors, etc. to go through Canada.  They said they didn't need any.  I told them they weren't taking the firearms (about a dozen handguns and half dozen ARs, plus a suppressor).  

I ended up Fed Ex'ing a huge Pelican case up here to the tune of $700.  The transportation office reimbursed me the cost.  

The mover may or may not take the weapons (legally or not!).  Some movers do not go through Canada, they barge from Washington up to Alaska, some do drive through (like mine).  

Any firearms you haul through Canada must comply with Canadian gun laws and be declared on a declaration form, and a fee paid at the border.  You can transport some restricted type firearms, but you have to have an ATT (authorization to transport) approved ahead of time.  

Any other questions, feel free to hit me up.  I PCS'd to Wainwright four or five months ago.  

Drive, don't take the ferry.  It's a beautiful drive, well worth it.  My father-in-law and I did it in three days from Missouri, but that was pretty balls to the walls driving 20 hours a day.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

jerrmy already linked the thread, but I did the same and it was very easy. Was about a 10 bussiness day turnaround for the permit.

I counted everything up, 38,xxx rounds and they just rounded the permit up to 40,000 round of ammo. My movers took all my guns via barge so I didn't deal with that portion. The border didn't even look at my dog paperwork, just the ammo and no inspection into my enclosed trailer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
For those transporting large quantities of ammo, powder, primers...

Was there any max limits on ammo, powder, or primers?  Was there any goofy packing requirements?

Could loaded ammo be packed loose in ammo cans?  Can powder/primers stay in the shipping box I received it in from Fed ex and be placed in my enclosed trailer?

Any goofy requests,etc?

This sounds like the best way to get my stuff up north.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For those transporting large quantities of ammo, powder, primers...

Was there any max limits on ammo, powder, or primers?  Was there any goofy packing requirements?

Could loaded ammo be packed loose in ammo cans?  Can powder/primers stay in the shipping box I received it in from Fed ex and be placed in my enclosed trailer?

Any goofy requests,etc?

This sounds like the best way to get my stuff up north.
View Quote

No idea on max limit- the folks the forms go to are pretty helpful and could probably give you an answer.
My ammo was loose in cans except for the .30-06 I had in clips. Primers and powder were stored separately in different ends of my trailer in ammo cans.  

When I drove down the agent at the border said this was only the 2nd time in her 15 years she had seen one of the forms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top