Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2015 1:20:22 AM EDT
I have lost any hope that Governor Bill Walker is going to do the right thing when times get tough.  He is pandering to Obama now regarding the supposed "refugees".  At first he said he was too busy with the budget to worry about this.  The next day after the teleconference with DC he said he couldn't go against the Federal Government's decision to allow them in.  The real story in my opinion is that Bill doesn't want to piss off Obama by going against him regarding the refugee issue.  Bill thinks he will have a better chance of getting things moving up here if he can stay on Obama's good side.  Things like any sort of political red tape or regulations that the Fed's could help with, Bill feels he better stay on Obama's good side.  So this refugee issue is a non-issue in Bill's mind and a small political price to pay by going against what is best for our Country and our State.  This issue will pass and we'll all "forget" about it soon enough is what he thinks in my opinion.

While I understand that right now it might seem like a non-issue and the Catholic Social Services is only helping out about 140ish refugees a year by bringing them up here, what is the end game?  If the other Governors down in the lower 48 stick to their guns and don't allow any more in do we take a lot more in up here?  If Bill is SOOOO focused on the budget and so concerned about it that he can't even get the damn roads plowed safely, I want to know how much public assistance the "refugees" are getting up here?  I don't buy it for one second that they are not and will not receive public assistance money some how.  If we are truly in a budget crisis, what the hell are we doing then putting a bigger strain on every dollar that is available?  On and on we could go...

So, just like that...I'll be voting against the guy I helped run for Governor in 2010 and 2014.  Someone I considered a fairly close acquaintance.  In less than a year I have watched someone I trusted get completely side tracked in my opinion by political correctness.  What happened to all the tough talk?  Remember "I will build that road to King Cove!"  "I like animals too...My favorite's are Caterpillar and John Deere".  Or, "you better get used to seeing my Lieutenant Governor because I may get locked up for going against the Fed's!"  Well, at least he was saying that when Craig Fleener was his LT. pick.

Bill made the same mistake Sarah did.  They didn't surround themselves with good passionate people who knew specific departments in State Government, who knew exactly what needed fixed immediately, and how to get started fixing problems right away.  That was a huge departure from what Bill's plans were originally.  

Bill is just laser focused on the gas-line.  That's it.  I knew it would be that way I guess, and I trust him with that.  I just didn't think he would be this bad at picking Commissioners and other staff, and having them weed out corruption in an expeditious manner.  Hello Mark Luiken.  And what is the deal with him appointing Walt Monegan even in an acting capacity as DOC Commissioner?  Sheesh.  Wasn't Walt pretty much anti-gun?  Wasn't helpful with signing off on class 3 stuff while with APD?  Or am I mistaken?

Not sure where I wanted to go with all of this but I needed to vent a little.  I feel bad in a way for supporting Bill as strongly as I did.  I am still happy that Parnell is gone though.  He was a terrible Governor and had a horrific circle of staff surrounding him.  Corruption needs to stop.  I was hoping Bill was the guy to get a handle on it right away.  It hasn't happened, and it doesn't look good either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Not too much to add as you know much more about the political scene.

I thought Walker would be able to start with as clean a slate as governer as anyone can.  It does not seem to be the case.

We have no extra money to afford to accept folks who can't work and can't even speak the language, and they will become a burden on the state one way or the other.  The best place for them IS in the middle east.  I don't know how much Obama can hurt the state with 13 hard months to go, especially with ~30 other governers saying they don't support refugee relocation in their states.  Obama also seems to be picking fights he can't finish on his terms, foreign and domestic.  Retribution from Obama is a non-issue in this case.

Yes, Monagan and his antigun stance was a big factor in getting Machinegun George elected as Anchorage mayor.  I thought Monagan slithered off under a rock somewhere, and I was shocked hearing of his appointment.  I know his status as in DOC has little effect on the gun control front, but talk about optics in pissing off a large base whose support you will need.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say welcome to the club but I never liked him.  I also lost any respect he could have earned with the shenanigans after the primary race.  And with the gas line I think that laser focus is more blind obsession.  Really on how much of Obama's good side can you be he is anti oil, anti development and anti gas line.  Accepting some refugees doesn't change that to think otherwise is extremely naive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
At one time there was some hope that Alaska would do much better. Now, I guess that is not too be the case.  Sad day for sure!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought Walker would be able to start with as clean a slate as governer as anyone can.  It does not seem to be the case.

We have no extra money to afford to accept folks who can't work and can't even speak the language, and they will become a burden on the state one way or the other.  The best place for them IS in the middle east.  I don't know how much Obama can hurt the state with 13 hard months to go, especially with ~30 other governers saying they don't support refugee relocation in their states.  Obama also seems to be picking fights he can't finish on his terms, foreign and domestic.  Retribution from Obama is a non-issue in this case.

Yes, Monagan and his antigun stance was a big factor in getting Machinegun George elected as Anchorage mayor.  I thought Monagan slithered off under a rock somewhere, and I was shocked hearing of his appointment.  I know his status as in DOC has little effect on the gun control front, but talk about optics in pissing off a large base whose support you will need.
View Quote

Bill will trust Walt's opinion though if the subject of any sort of regulation ever comes up due to Walt's background.  Bill made it to a couple AMGA meetings during the campaign, but I'm not sure he would stick with our side if things got tough for him politically.  The AMGA had a few things they brought up that would be nice to have done during those meetings and I would most likely bet that that the Governors office has yet to make a call to the AMGA and follow up to see if there is anything that they could help with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd say welcome to the club but I never liked him.  I also lost any respect he could have earned with the shenanigans after the primary race.  And with the gas line I think that laser focus is more blind obsession.  Really on how much of Obama's good side can you be he is anti oil, anti development and anti gas line.  Accepting some refugees doesn't change that to think otherwise is extremely naive.
View Quote

Can't really argue with that.  I know that many of us had a tough time excepting the fact that Bill couldn't win without taking on Byron.  Some people quit the campaign over it.  I have to give it to Craig though for sticking with Bill and making that sacrifice.  As far as the gas-line, I am fed up with the way things have been going and I didn't believe we were going in the right direction.  I became very close friends with Scott Heyworth who started ANGDA back in 02, while we were working on Sarah Palins campaign.  That guy poured his heart and soul into building the gas-line too.  The things I learned about what was really going on behind the scenes was unbelievable. BS study after study.  Delay after delay.  They just need to build build the damn thing to Valdez and be done with it.  There is a reason that Valdez was picked as the termination point for TAPS.  Permits and EIS all good following TAPS.  Coming down the Parks Hwy takes and act of congress(literally) because it would have to go through the park.  Zero permits that way.  Parnell wouldn't even meet with the Japanese (REI) who want to buy the gas.  On and on it goes.

I guess I see it now that I helped break some of the strangle hold of corrupt political leadership in State Government by helping Bill.  I've worked for the State as my primary employer for 23 years now.  You can't change this system without the Governor backing you up.  They appoint the Commissioners and shit rolls down hill from there.  The Commissioners all cover up for each other and do what they can to keep a total lid on anything that might cause a ripple in the political pond.  That is the reason I keep working on gubernatorial campaigns where I think the chances are better to get some change in leadership.  And yet here we are recycling guys like Mark Luiken and his buddy Steven Hatter in DOT, and now Walt Monegan.  Just can't freakin win...uuhhggg.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

es up due to Walt's background.  Bill made it to a couple AMGA meetings during the campaign, but I'm not sure he would stick with our side if things got tough for him politically.  The AMGA had a few things they brought up that would be nice to have done during those meetings and I would most likely bet that that the Governors office has yet to make a call to the AMGA and follow up to see if there is anything that they could help with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

es up due to Walt's background.  Bill made it to a couple AMGA meetings during the campaign, but I'm not sure he would stick with our side if things got tough for him politically.  The AMGA had a few things they brought up that would be nice to have done during those meetings and I would most likely bet that that the Governors office has yet to make a call to the AMGA and follow up to see if there is anything that they could help with.
I know some  one who knows monegan...says he is a huge piece of shit..... and thats how he has always come across to me....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top