Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 1:43:58 PM EDT
We have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise but have also heard that it's not great because you don't get enough time off the boat to see the real beautiful places.

I'm an outdoors guy and would love to hike, camp, backpack. The wife is more "let's see beautiful places during the day and sleep in a comfy bed at night" gal.

Is there a place that we can see beautiful state parks, do some light hiking, experience "Alaskan beauty" but also sleep in a decent hotel? I realize that resort style places/hotels are likely nonexistent.

Also, what time of year should I plan this trip?

Thanks. Hope,to keep this thread running and update it. The Colorado hometown forum helped me plan a kickass solo backpacking trip last year.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
For what its worth I would skip the cruise and Opt for a little more hands on approach. You are correct ... the cruise ships don't let you really see Alaska. Its like flying into Detroit with a 2 hr layover and saying you've been to Detroit. I would plan to come up in May or Sept. if you don't want to pay Summer Rates which are ridiculous and avoid the hoard of tourist.  The train ride from Anch to Fairbanks is one of the best in the world. 4 hrs north of Anchorage is Matanuska Glacier...rent a car and go see it. You can drive up to it and walk on it.... Amazing.  Or drive to Seward and do the Exit Glacier hike up to the Harding Ice field.

After you have seen a few glaciers they're kinda the same.  Do Talkeetna its worth it....see Denali.  Drive to Homer and take the ferry to Kodiak.... I'll show you around and buy you a beer. Tourist Alaska is beautiful but most of it is simple and somewhere between small town and third world.  Some villages don't really have a sewer system so all the honey buckets get dumped on one end of town.... water source on the other end.

Be ye warned.... Alaska can change you. You may never be satisfied with the burbs again.

ETA: Im originally from Tallahassee ....25yrs ago.   Alaska has some great hotels. Some 5 star.....some not so 5 star
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save the money, fly into the cities you wish and stay in nice places

Take the train from Fairbanks - Denali
Spend a couple of days in Denali and then train from Denali to Anchorage (all day affair)
Denali has very nice rooms

Try to get into Katami (it will cost you some money)

I like Ketchikan and Sitka both of which have daily air service on AK Air
Juneau is nice, but if it would be after those two

Kodiak is cool though I am not sure what hotel situation is

Fairbanks base and Anchorage base can net you some cool day trips and nice rooms

Timing is critical, once "summer rates" kick in it is an absolute shit show for prices on everything tourist related
View Quote

As usual UAF is about right. Katmai is a beautiful place. Hotels in Kodiak....we have a Bestwestern  and a Comfort Inn. Bestwestern is best option. Also have lots of really nice B&B's

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What's the daylight like in August/September?  Temp?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aug/Sept daylight is perfect for tourist. No sun all night and not too hot or cold. I would really lean toward Sept as the hotel and car rates get cut dramatically after Aug.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We really do need a pinned to the top reply to this and "I want to move to Alaska" threads......

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We really do need a pinned to the top reply to this and "I want to move to Alaska" threads......

Aviator
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Aviator

Sorry, I'm sure they are annoying. Also, I'm sure the Colorado guys get much of the same.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Aug/Sept daylight is perfect for tourist. No sun all night and not too hot or cold. I would really lean toward Sept as the hotel and car rates get cut dramatically after Aug.

Awesome, thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:48:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got back two days ago, spent a week with the kids and their families. Son works for the railroad, Daughter married an AF EOD guy, both families took a week off to show us around. Went to Seward, did Exit Glacier, saw some whales, etc, stayed in the military lodge overnight, drove around Anchorage a bit, went on a few hikes. Since Son and family are in Wasilla, got to visit there too, plus Eagle River. Nice places....good chance we'll move there.

Rained on and off most days, got a 2" snowfall one night, too overcast for any aurora spotting. Didn't get below 30 at night, days 40-60. Really nice.

Not many tourists there now, Seward itself looks a bit closed down, but that's OK. No crowds. I hate crowds.

We'll be taking an RV back next year, staying for a few months. Maybe drag a trailer up with some possessions, look into buying a cabin over on Wasilla side.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I am going to jump in on this as the wife and I are discussing Alaska also.

So what I am gradually figuring out is the areas along the highways from Kenai Fjords up to Anchorage to Denali to Fairbanks is going to be crowded with tourists?  I am extrapolating here because I saw a picture of people fishing a river and there seemed to be about 100 people lined up and down the river in that picture,  We were discussing doing an all inclusive to Lake Clark or Katmai and understanding the cost.  Anyone have experience with both of these places?

I am currently thinking of 5 - 7 days in Lake Clark or Katmai and then another week touring the main highway route.  The month we are considering is August.  I think I would like to do some fishing.  Input is appreciated.

Side note:  We are actually pretty durable people.  We just finished up 18 days, 9 national parks, and 6000 miles in the South West.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
No worries Ranger. You need info. We get this a lot though and it would make sense to make it a sticky.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am going to jump in on this as the wife and I are discussing Alaska also.

So what I am gradually figuring out is the areas along the highways from Kenai Fjords up to Anchorage to Denali to Fairbanks is going to be crowded with tourists?  I am extrapolating here because I saw a picture of people fishing a river and there seemed to be about 100 people lined up and down the river in that picture,  We were discussing doing an all inclusive to Lake Clark or Katmai and understanding the cost.  Anyone have experience with both of these places?

I am currently thinking of 5 - 7 days in Lake Clark or Katmai and then another week touring the main highway route.  The month we are considering is August.  I think I would like to do some fishing.  Input is appreciated.

Side note:  We are actually pretty durable people.  We just finished up 18 days, 9 national parks, and 6000 miles in the South West.
View Quote

Sounds like you have a good plan. My usual tourist route from Wasilla is a 2 day trip to Homer or Seward and back to see that part of the state. A day or two around here to do local stuff and rest. Then a 3-4 day trip up the Parks to Fairbanks, then down the East side to Glenallen and back here. That route does the Mountain, glaciers and the interior stuff.

August is a good month, if you do it early in Aug.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to quit my day job and do trip planning for people like you. I've been thinking about it for over a year...

Anyway, PM me your contact info and we can chat via text or FB messenger or something. I'd love to help you out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top