Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2015 11:52:08 AM EDT
Well, my wife and I will be flying out next Friday. We will be staying a week in Anchorage. We're doing a Denali tour (the kind where you sit in a bus for ten hours), and trying to fit in any sight seeing we can. She is there for work and will be pre-occupied for a good portion of the day In the week before we leave the following Friday.

So where is there to go and what is there to do for a lonely Texan in the last frontier?
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Mooses tooth pizza is supposed to be top 10 in the nation, it is pretty good.
couple  microbreweries In town are kinda nice, and offer tours that are pretty cool.
if you are into hiking hike flat top on a clear day(AWESOME view for such a short hike),

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
We have lots of breweries and a meadery if you want to sample some great beer. I suggest King Street IPA; and lunch and tour at Midnight Sun Brewery. If you happen to have a warm sunny day, the deck at Snow Goose with a appetizer of halibut chunks is a great afternoon.

White Spot Cafe has the best halibut sandwich and fish and chips in town.

The museum is worth quite a few hours.

If it is still open, the Alaska Native Heritage Center was a good afternoon.

Honestly, the same question comes up every so often (sometimes even while a thread is still on the first page) so it would behoove you to search the archives.

I'm still really surprised there isn't a tacked thread for 'Moving to Alaska' and another for 'Visiting Alaska'.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm still really surprised there isn't a tacked thread for 'Moving to Alaska' and another for 'Visiting Alaska'.
View Quote

It's been talked about in this forum for years, along with "Hey! I got a job in Barrow!," or, "Should I take the job as a cop in Barrow?"

If you are into hiking, take the car up the road to Hatcher's Pass too, and get a cup of coffee/dessert at the lodge at the top.  It is a steep road along a fast moving stream up to Hatcher's Pass, and if you have the rest of the afternoon, take the highway back to Talkeetna.  Plan on spending a bit of time in Talkeetna and get a beer and a meal for dinner at many of the open air tourist restaraunts.  You can take your dog into those open air restaraunts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
From a Native Texan whose been here for 30+ years , no matter what you do you'll never forget it.

If you can't get way out of town while the SO is working make a drive up to Eklutna Lake

As mentioned , hit the Mooses Tooth and Tommy's Burger Stop
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If you need a good lunch, the burgeman(alaska roadrunner) on old seward and international has great burgers..cash only though.......
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you need a good lunch, the burgeman(alaska roadrunner) on old seward and international has great burgers..cash only though.......
View Quote

They have an ATM. Ate there Friday. Get the onion pieces instead of onion rings. And a blackberry shake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, are you guys doing any hiking while here? If so, and you need a defensive arm, just hit me up, you are welcome to use my G-20 and chest holster....
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, are you guys doing any hiking while here? If so, and you need a defensive arm, just hit me up, you are welcome to use my G-20 and chest holster....
View Quote

OT, but what are the laws regarding a foreigner carrying concealed as Alaskans do?

I am a bit jaded, but Mrs Blues' Canadian friends ALL  want to grab a 32 or 45 out of my safe and carry it around town like Alaskans do.   Is that legal?

Our 75 year old retired German Lufthansa pilot neighbor packs two pistols around the neighborhood and in town.  I thought he was just getting slow, and no carrying 10 lbs of steel around.  Heh, Two-gun Deiter...

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I was up in Palmer for 2 weeks visiting my sister and returned to Houston September 5. Hatcher pass was pretty and the salmon burger at the Hatcher pass lodge was good. While in Alaska my 2 brother in laws and I went caribou hunting at Chicken. No luck and got a bit of snow. The views were pretty.  The town is pretty small compared to my hometown of 700 people. The weather rEminded me of being in the army guard and either pulling guard duty in the snow or waking up and it was cold and snowing. I don't miss winter guard duty in Iowa and Minnesota as infantry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OT, but what are the laws regarding a foreigner carrying concealed as Alaskans do?

I am a bit jaded, but Mrs Blues' Canadian friends ALL  want to grab a 32 or 45 out of my safe and carry it around town like Alaskans do.   Is that legal?
View Quote

IANAL.

My reading of Alaska statute is that Alaska doesn't care where they are from if they meet the criteria. My reading means nothing to you, or your friends. Nor does Alaska statute mean that they are legal to posses a handgun according to US code or regulation; I don't know that and haven't read it in quite a few years.

IANAL.

Do any of those visitors have even the slightest understanding of AOJ, or what it might mean to their bank account or future employment prospects or even family relationships if they end up in a royal shitstorm by even unholstering and showing a handgun here, legal or not? Do they comprehend what a pariah they may end up as after a shooting, justified or not?

IANAL.

I know several Canadians, and there is no way that I would loan any of them a handgun to carry around. Of course, there are extremely few US citizens that I know who I would loan a rifle or shotgun to, much less a handgun. Not gonna happen, even my best bud in college. Nope. Shotgun out on a fishing trip? Maybe. But if they are that remote they probably had to hire a service or guide to get there. Cry to them; in the meantime "here is a great place to buy bear spray."

IANAL. YMMV. ILK3.14
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah, and for the OP: drive to Girdwood and have lunch at the Bakeshop. Have whatever soup they are serving that day, especially if it is Hungarian Mushroom. Eat a cinnamon roll and drink coffee on the way back to Anchorage, and take a loaf of sourdough bread with you and ask your hotel to toast it for breakfast. If it is running and the weather is clear I've heard the tram trip to the top of Alyeska is worth it.

Down thataway the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is supposed to be good.

If you can do a long day away, or she can skip a day the Seward Sealife Center is small but fun.

And the Musk Ox Farm out towards Palmer is good, I've heard, but haven't been there.

The best (and best priced) Native arts and crafts are at the Alaska Native Hospital, and you support the artists more directly (and are most likely to actually get Native-made crafts). The shop is only open certain days and hours.

Every place, store or restaurant in this thread should be emailed and called (twice) though, as tourist season pretty much ends on Labor Day. Triple check that the day and time you are asking about is really a time they will be open.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:28:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Our 75 year old retired German Lufthansa pilot neighbor packs two pistols around the neighborhood and in town.  I thought he was just getting slow, and no carrying 10 lbs of steel around.  Heh, Two-gun Deiter...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

heres current law on it....Inal..but I think it is law for everyone...regardless of residence...

Alaska does not require a permit to carry a concealed firearm. On June 11, 2003, the Governor of Alaska signed legislation amending Alaska law to allow anyone age 21 or older who may legally possess a firearm to carry a concealed firearm without having to obtain a permit.

http://smartgunlaws.org/concealed-weapons-permitting-in-alaska/
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:56:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys have given me a lot to consider insofar as food and activities go so I thank you for that.

I'll be taking my G19 so I don't need to borrow anyone's pistol. I'm not planning on any wildlife encounters, and I don't expect I would survive an encounter with an apex predator armed with any handgun caliber. That being said, if I'm going to be mauled, I'll send as much Underwood 147+P+ toward the threat as I can. Hopefully, someone hears it and comes to save me.

I've been familiarizing myself with Alaska handgun law. I'll bring my TX CHL anyway even though I technically don't need it. I really do appreciate all the replies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't know if you have flown with firearms since Terrorists Still Allowed, but remember no TSA locks on the actual gun hard case. Personally I like my hard case to be large enough so it doesn't fit under baggage handler uniforms/clothing, so I use my Pelican camera case that is the largest carry-on size allowed and just lock it. It checks with the gun and all the clothing I can fit in it. And ammo in a factory box or ammo-specific box.

Earlier this summer there was some talk that the Alaska Railroad had posted No Firearms signs, and may be searching people like the Gestapo TSA. I never heard anyone who saw the sign themselves, or saw any searching.

I would not, however, tell anyone on the tour or with a tour company anywhere along the line that you have a firearm, as they are likely to go all corporate on you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Made it in after midnight last night which is like 3:00AM Texas time. Got some good sleep and had a good meal at Simon & Seaforts this morning. On the road to Denali today.

Quoted:
I would not, however, tell anyone on the tour or with a tour company anywhere along the line that you have a firearm, as they are likely to go all corporate on you.
View Quote

They're not allowed on the tour buses so it will probably be locked up in the hotel room when we go on that. Plus, federal law prohibits entering certain park facilities with one, and I'm sure we'll be doing all that.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bring warm clothes
It has already snowed in denali this year

I was down there Saturday night
49th  state brewing co just outside the park has good food and good beer
View Quote

Aye and drank at 49tj tonight. Thank you for that suggestion. It was really good. It's going to snow on us tomorrow in Denali.

Man, it's cold tonight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Humpy's in Anchorage had good food.  The margaritas were more like a breakfast drink than an actual margarita.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top