Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 3:06:05 AM EDT
I heard today that laser range finding scopes may not be legal to hunt big game with in Alaska but all I can find in the game reg is on page 18 column two where it says "rangefinders may be used" what's the deal on this?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I heard today that laser range finding scopes may not be legal to hunt big game with in Alaska but all I can find in the game reg is on page 18 column two where it says "rangefinders may be used" what's the deal on this?
View Quote

Back when I was selling sporting goods, we checked with F&G and the brownshirts on it.  So long as it doesn't project a visible dot (ala red laser) it's fine.  Same goes for red dots on rifles, etc.

The big thing is that people hear 'laser' and think you are putting a big glowing dot on a moose, not seeing 281yrds popping up in your scope.  Although, the battery life on them generally sucks in the cold btw.

That said, it has been ~5 years since I've done any sporting goods sales of a significant nature, so grain of salt, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Back when I was selling sporting goods, we checked with F&G and the brownshirts on it.  So long as it doesn't project a visible dot (ala red laser) it's fine.  Same goes for red dots on rifles, etc.

The big thing is that people hear 'laser' and think you are putting a big glowing dot on a moose, not seeing 281yrds popping up in your scope.  Although, the battery life on them generally sucks in the cold btw.

That said, it has been ~5 years since I've done any sporting goods sales of a significant nature, so grain of salt, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke with a wild life trooper today and he did some research and confirmed what you said. I am good to go. I have had this scope since 2011 so I definitely know its limitations. I have also learned not to trust the battery life meter and to just test the battery with a multi meter as when it drops too far below 3v it wont range anymore.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
test said battery afte you put it in the freezer for 2 hours... cold will sap it lik you wouldnt belive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Which is why you want to use Lithium batteries wherever possible, they have more power and handle cold far better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which is why you want to use Lithium batteries wherever possible, they have more power and handle cold far better.
View Quote

CR2 batteries are all lithium and even so they are only rated to +15*. With that said I have shot at Cushman last winter into the single digits. However I have an idea if I ever need it where I will use a hand warmer with some folded up tin foil to reflect the heat and then strap the whole thing down to the battery cover with electrical tape. I would do this before leaving the truck so the tape will still stick. lol (Thinking ahead)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

CR2 batteries are all lithium and even so they are only rated to +15*. With that said I have shot at Cushman last winter into the single digits. However I have an idea if I ever need it where I will use a hand warmer with some folded up tin foil to reflect the heat and then strap the whole thing down to the battery cover with electrical tape. I would do this before leaving the truck so the tape will still stick. lol (Thinking ahead)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use gaffers tape.  It doesn't get fragile in cold weather and comes off without residue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top