Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2015 2:42:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
What type of truck/engine and where is Alaska are you living?  Things are a 'little' different in Anchorage and Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Those three items are pretty typical.  Might want a battery blanket for FAI though.

The Katz pad heaters can be found at NAPA.  IIRC they might be rebranded NAPA too.  There is an application guide for different vehicles, but the climate is nondescript.  So the basis for ambient temperature may or may not include -4000F or whatever your low feels like.

Install on the pads-  clean the oil pan really good.  The pad is a sticker.  One affixed, put RTV sealant around the perimeter of the pad to keep moisture out.

Battery tender makes some good trickle charges.

Consider using a 3 or 4 into 1 short extension cord, or hand a 2 gage j-box under your hood to do the same.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Oil pan, buy the Katz pad at NAPA,  buy some high temp silicone goo(one tube is plenty), buy roll of duct tape. Get under car, put silicone goo on clean oil pan, duct tape in place so it holds really tight. run cord so it doesn't hit hot or moving things. If you have enough room to put a power box under the hood you should it makes everything really clean, my Impreza had one and I loved it.(little metal box bolted into the inside of the engine compartment, with 4 outlets in it). then run that cord out of the front.  
Battery blanket(it wraps around the battery), take battery out of rig, wrap around re install battery with it wrapped around. problem solved. run cord as before to power strip.
If you feel the need buy a trickle charger(I never had one and was fine but hey after 7 winters up there what do I know).  
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Along with what has been mentioned already, you might want to change the differential fluids along with the engine for those really cold days.  If you are not able to put the vehicle in side, it is also nice to get a heater for the inside.  It sure makes it nicer when going out.  Does the vehicle already a block heater installed, if not, get one installed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
When winterizing we always get:

Engine block heater

Oil Pan heater

Battery Plate

Battery Blanket

Hottest thermostat available

Biggest battery we can shoe horn in there with high CCA (I like Optima)

Trickle charger (I use Battery Tenders)

Plug in cords with lighted indicator

Silicon windhsheild wipers
Mobil 5-30 or 0-30 oil (Mobil is best at handling cold temps but is expensive)

Autostart with cold weather mode where is will run the vehicle once an hour when it's put into the mode and it's cold enough - for situations where you can't plug in.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Mike

What is a battery plate?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Engine block heater

Oil Pan heater

Battery Plate

Battery Blanket

Silicon windhsheild wipersMobil 5-30 or 0-30 oil (Mobil is best at handling cold temps but is expensive)

Autostart with cold weather mode where is will run the vehicle once an hour when it's put into the mode and it's cold enough - for situations where you can't plug in.

Thanks Mike

What is a battery plate?

Battery warmer that the battery sits on.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks Mike

What is a battery plate?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Engine block heater

Oil Pan heater

Battery Plate

Battery Blanket

Silicon windhsheild wipersMobil 5-30 or 0-30 oil (Mobil is best at handling cold temps but is expensive)

Thanks Mike

What is a battery plate?

It goes under the battery and keeps it warm.  It's more effective than a battery blanket (heat rises), but nice to have both.  You can never have enough battery power.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, make sure you check the antifreeze for how cold its good to..I set all mine for -60..you can get a cheap tester but I prefer checking with a refractometer....dont assume even a new vehicle from a local dealer will be set cold enough, most are only down to -30 or -40.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I think 10 amp should be fine especially with batt blankets.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#15]
It would just be for charging the battery, not powering all the heaters.  Trickle chargers are around an amp, give or take.  Everything should be wired together with one inline fuse, and that one will have to have enough capacity to cover everything.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#16]
U of A students get a hefty NAPA discount if you still have your card. Don't forget wire loom to make everything look factory and to protect the wires. I use two Odyssey batteries on the boat, good stuff. Everything else I can think of was covered.

Brand new truck or used? If used check the heavy gauge wire connections for corrosion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Battery Cozy?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd be far more confident with bolt and nut since it's going to be exposed to a lot of vibration.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Our work trucks had them mounted with the rubber washer style self drillers, like used on metal roofing, and we never had issues on the countless trips up the haul road or to pogo. Use nylock nuts if going with bolts though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Rivets?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top