Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2015 10:42:49 PM EDT
I posted this in the Canada area but I haven't gotten any responses. Has anyone in Alaska travelled the Campbell lately?? Has anyone been on the Campbell Highway this summer?? I heard that there was going to be some improvements made and I was wondering if they were happened.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Skip if it you can.  It is a terrible road, sometimes impassible.  With a 4x4, go for it, but road trucks have a bad time of it during the monsoon season.

It is not so bad from Watson Lake, but it gets worse each mile you drive north towards Faro.  I drove it a couple years ago.  It is/was a decent gravel road at Watson, but it narrowed down to nearly single lane laid over every little bump in the woods.  The Yukon gov't is upgrading it every year but it has a long way to go.  One of the local scandals is a certain contractor has to fix the same section of road every friggin year.

There was a 1 km section of road the highway department pulled trucks back and forth with a D7 in 2013, I think, which put thousands of dollars of damage on some of those trucks.

You remember those pics of the Alaska Highway in 1942 with trucks buried up to mid-axle?  Someone put together a photo montage of the AK highway 1942 vs. the Robert Campbell highway in 2013.   Really similar except for the truck vintages.  I tried to find it in my emails, but can't.

Check here for road conditions:  http://www.511yukon.ca/textreport.html

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I have been checking the Yukon Highway websites but a lot of the info sounded a little too good to be true. I'm used to nasty roads but when they are bad enough you have to pulled with a cat----well, it's time to stay home or find another way thru.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top