Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2015 7:27:09 PM EDT
Well? Are you the most awesome thing they have ever seen? Ask for a raise, I'lll send a letter of total awesomeness.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well? Are you the most awesome thing they have ever seen? Ask for a raise, I'lll send a letter of total awesomeness.
View Quote

I haven't really wanted to say anything, but I had to resign on Friday.  Even the doc thought I was insane for trying to go from nothing for over a year to a physical job, and almost ending up in the ER was a big wakeup call.    Pretty much was told I need to do a desk job until they figure out what is wrong.

Upside is that I have a couple applications in for desk jobs and have already gotten a couple of preliminary calls for them.  Personally I'm hoping for the clerk position at the Galena School District's Fairbanks office.  State job and bennies, mon-fri, etc.

Wish I had better news, but thanks for checking in.  AKMike cheered me up by dragging me to the range.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Well you gave it a go. Good for trying. I'm in your corner rooting for ya, let me know if you need anything.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If its a public school position and full time it is a PERS Tier IV or TRS Tier III.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure that is a state position with the School District?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Are you sure that is a state position with the School District?

Could be wrong, but I thought it was because the Galena district is so small.

Quoted:
If its a public school position and full time it is a PERS Tier IV or TRS Tier III.

Oh okay.  Yeah, its for the Fairbanks IDEA office.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyhow good luck
Im sorry the gun counter job didnt work out
View Quote

Thanks  And me too.  Was a lot of good folks there, but it's what I get for biting off more than I can handle after so long.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I did just get some good news though.  The Firearm Blog is having my photos featured as the Photo of the Day again tomorrow.  Three times in three months. I'm really pushing to be able to do my photo work part time or something.  Would be awesome
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an interview at Alaska Camera on Sunday.  Fits my skill set and is very close to home.  Apparently including copies of my photos with the resume was a good thing
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope they were better than those pics you sent me.

Armstrong liked them though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

So many smartass responses, but none of them are the right one.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Well it looks like I'm going to be an employee at Alaska Camera
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah. Your my favorite!

Good job.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Fluffer/tea maker
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats!

Shoe is on the other foot this time - I am starting to get cold feet about this new job down in America.  The company culture is a weird mix of the worst aspects of an industrial conglomerate and the worst aspects of contemporary liberal sensibilities, weeding out badthink and working with delicate university students who feel 'unappreciated.'  They even tell you they have a legal obligation to weed out examples of badthink - things which were not even controversial 5-10 years ago.  Further details not forthcoming.

Hispanic women are the only ones who can get away with saying, "Act like a man - I don't have time to teach you how."  Now, I have been warned off the record if I hear/see anything like this and I don't immediately stop it or report it, my future is in doubt.  Even if I don't hear/don't see and I am reported to be in the area, my future is in doubt as I have fostered an atmosphere where folks can say this without repercussions from myself.  Being part of management is overrated.

In my position, there is no real 'off-time" with uncompensated weekend duty rotations that may indeed take all weekend.  We all have our company provided cell phones and were checking emails and other company stuff during our 'off-time,' and I have my cell phone right here right now.  I can't complain too much as this industry is slipping into a deep bust cycle and I have a job.

I've been insulated too long living in Alaska my whole life or working "overseas," and did not realize what America has turned into.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Congrats!

Shoe is on the other foot this time - I am starting to get cold feet about this new job down in America.  The company culture is a weird mix of the worst aspects of an industrial conglomerate and the worst aspects of contemporary liberal sensibilities, weeding out badthink and working with delicate university students who feel 'unappreciated.'  They even tell you they have a legal obligation to weed out examples of badthink - things which were not even controversial 5-10 years ago.  Further details not forthcoming.

Hispanic women are the only ones who can get away with saying, "Act like a man - I don't have time to teach you how."  Now, I have been warned off the record if I hear/see anything like this and I don't immediately stop it or report it, my future is in doubt.  Even if I don't hear/don't see and I am reported to be in the area, my future is in doubt as I have fostered an atmosphere where folks can say this without repercussions from myself.  Being part of management is overrated.

In my position, there is no real 'off-time" with uncompensated weekend duty rotations that may indeed take all weekend.  We all have our company provided cell phones and were checking emails and other company stuff during our 'off-time,' and I have my cell phone right here right now.  I can't complain too much as this industry is slipping into a deep bust cycle and I have a job.

I've been insulated too long living in Alaska my whole life or working "overseas," and did not realize what America has turned into.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!

Damn  Wish you the best, but that is a lot of bullshit on how they are treating you.  I'm not looking forward to my dose of 'America' in September when I'll be in Seattle for the better part of a week.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sexy, yet tasteful.  I can see why the company would hire you.  Are you going to be their model?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh no. It got out. I did like the clown suit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top