Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2015 11:12:28 PM EDT
I'm planning on leaving this great State within the next 45 "plus" days.  With that being said, I have a 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC that I want to sell since I'm not planning on shipping it to Washington State, so I simply want to sell it here locally.  I have the title and the current registration in hand, what else will I need to legally sell/transfer this vehicle AND remove my name off of it after the sell?  Basically, I want to do everything right since I do not want to be sued for somebody poor choices, like driving while drunk/impaired and either causing personal and/or property damage.

My brother lives in a different State and sold a car to a "good" friend who later was involved in a wreck.  The other party's lawyers still went after my brother even that he sold the car prior to the accident...  Since he doesn't have or own anything, the insurance company left him alone, but not after putting him through the ringer for close to 6 months... At this point in my life, I have plenty to loose and I not willing to take the fall for somebody who does something stupid/foolish AFTER the sell.

Being that the car is not worth that much, I really don't want to go through a Park and Sell type service.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sign the title.  Sign the little tear off slip.  Turn slip into DMV.

You're done.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Either meet at DMV and hand the paperwork to the clerk, or even easier (time and lack-of-line-wise) use one of the private title companies to make the ownership and title change immediate.

It's worth the small cost.

You know it happened because you were there and saw the transfer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info...  Just want to make sure I tie up all loose ends before leaving.

Not looking for any surprises down the road.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
write up a simple Bill of Sale, with   vehicle description and VIN  NAME of buyer, NAME of seller.

have buyer sign and date, you sign and date,  keep a copy.

you can  inform DMV  online at the State of AK website, and/or mail in the   tear off  at bottom of title.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top