Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2015 9:51:40 PM EDT
Do you have hardwood trees and nut trees up there?  I was watching a TV show about Alaska and they were smoking fish with something called Alder and it looked like a soft wood. Down here in the south we smoke with pecan, hickory, and fruit trees.

It also looked like they were cutting fir trees to burn in their heaters. That's a huge no no down here. The fir trees here cause a big creosote build up that is dangerous.

I know -0- about your part of the world.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do you have hardwood trees and nut trees up there?  I was watching a TV show about Alaska and they were smoking fish with something called Alder and it looked like a soft wood. Down here in the south we smoke with pecan, hickory, and fruit trees.

It also looked like they were cutting fir trees to burn in their heaters. That's a huge no no down here. The fir trees here cause a big creosote build up that is dangerous.

I know -0- about your part of the world.

Thanks.
View Quote

Technically, birch and alder are hardwood but it is still a soft hardwood.  Everything else is soft, spruce, cottonwood and the like.

If I remember high school biology right it is because the short growing seasons don't work well with hardwoods.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Birch makes great firewood after 2 or 3 years split & stacked
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Aren't there two kinds of birch? One (regular white birch) that grows in the normal (lower) soil and one that grows in the permafrost (upper) soil? Going down a road in the hills above Fairbanks, the upper side of the road on one side of the freeze line was one kind of tree and the lower road (warmer soil) was a different kind.

I have a bad memory, so it could be a different kind of tree, and my Google-fu is weak this morning.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aren't there two kinds of birch? One (regular white birch) that grows in the normal (lower) soil and one that grows in the permafrost (upper) soil? Going down a road in the hills above Fairbanks, the upper side of the road on one side of the freeze line was one kind of tree and the lower road (warmer soil) was a different kind.

I have a bad memory, so it could be a different kind of tree, and my Google-fu is weak this morning.
View Quote

you can definitly see the differance in tree quality when you get in the hills north of town, you can get on a ridge and  it is alike a soils map depending on waht is growing where.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

you can definitly see the differance in tree quality when you get in the hills north of town, you can get on a ridge and  it is alike a soils map depending on waht is growing where.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found it. Uphill was black spruce and downhill was white spruce. The permafrost keeps the white spruce from germinating. http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/eeh/HCM-00754.pdf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top