Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2015 1:56:21 AM EDT
Being retired, I'll be moving back to Washington State this coming June/July and I'm hoping to drive through Canada.  Since that is my plan, I'm hoping to bring a rifle and pistol with me. The firearms I'm hoping to bring with me are;

A) Ruger, Mini-14, a standard Woodstock model with two 5rd magazines... No pistol grip. No flash suppressor. No muzzle break. No hi-cap magazines.
B) Springfield Armory 1911 standard government/G.I. model with two 8rd magazines.

Both firearms will be locked in a case (plastic), unloaded and placed in the rear of my Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Also, I'll be bringing 60rds of .223 (FMJ) and 50rds of .45 ACP (FMJ) boxed ammunition with me.

I know that I will have to fill out a form and declare all firearms to a Canadian customs officer, before being allowed into Canada... I was wondering if this is a painful process and if anybody, recently, have driven through Canada with firearms and if they have any tips on making the process easier.  Also, would a standard fixed wooden stock Ruger Mini-14 rifle with 5rd magazines be considered an assault rifle in Canada?

I'm renewing my U.S. passport now and I'm hoping to take care of any paperwork ahead of making my move to avoid any last minute issues.

I love Alaska and it's truly God's Country!!  I hate to leave, but the wife wants to head south for the four seasons...  Not in a hurry to give her half of everything I own.    

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about the Mini-14. But the Canadian's are terrified of pistols you will have to ship the 1911.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
From my dealing with Canadian gun laws, figure out another way to get these two firearms to Washington.  Chances are real slim, that you will be able to take them through Canada.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
someone once told me, "if its a semi auto or a handgun, dont take it to canada,"
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I guess I'll be buying a Mossberg 500 shotgun for this trip and shipping everything else.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Good idea!  We travel with a Winchester model 1300 pump shotgun and have for many years.  You will just need to keep the ammo 'away' from the shotgun.
Have a safe trip!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I guess I'll be buying a Mossberg 500 shotgun for this trip and shipping everything else.

Thanks!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I take a lever action .44 and a mossberg pumo through everytime, having the form filled out ahead of time helps too. Ive been through 6 times in 7 years and never been searched or even had my guns checked. Make sure ammo is in a separate locked case.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
someone once told me, "if its a semi auto or a handgun, dont take it to canada,"
View Quote

Pretty much this.  Every time Ive PCSd, I've flown all but shotguns and non semi rifles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I take a lever action .44 and a mossberg pumo through everytime, having the form filled out ahead of time helps too. Ive been through 6 times in 7 years and never been searched or even had my guns checked. Make sure ammo is in a separate locked case.
View Quote

It was my understanding a lever gun chambered for a hand gun cartridge is a no go. Thanks this is good to know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
How about for ARs, are you good to take the uppers through Canada,  ship the lowers separately? Save a little money on shipping costs for the weight/bulk.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about for ARs, are you good to take the uppers through Canada,  ship the lowers separately? Save a little money on shipping costs for the weight/bulk.
View Quote

No, don't even take mags, just don't.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I brought up an 870 and a bunch of ammo and reloading gear.  The folks at the border station helped me fill out the paperwork and were very helpful.  A guard did want to verify the serial number on my shotgun.  I think the process took about 30 minutes and we were on our way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Last time I drove through with safes containing guns was '99.  There were 2 Minis in that load, but I had to ship all my handguns to a local FFL (Great Guns at the time, 'member them?) it was horrible expensive.

We moved to OR for almost 2 years, came back in '10 and i had to ship it all with the moving company.  No bueno.  You can get a permit to take a hunting rifle through, but I hear it can be a pain.  CPTCARL's story sounds pretty easy though, so maybe it has improved ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

.  No bueno.  You can get a permit to take a hunting rifle through, but I hear it can be a pain.  CPTCARL's story sounds pretty easy though, so maybe it has improved ?
View Quote

When I drove up in 08 for the first time as an adult, it was with a bolt action, and 2 pumps. Filled out the form at the border crossing, paid my money and was through in no time. Ever since I have just had the paperwork ready to go before then and same story, drive up, hand it to them, come inside to get it stamped, then be on my merry way. I have never spent more than 30 minutes at the Canadian crossings.. Getting back into the US once, it was a shit show with a new guy, but other than that taking a firearm in Canada is painless.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I drove up in 08 for the first time as an adult, it was with a bolt action, and 2 pumps. Filled out the form at the border crossing, paid my money and was through in no time. Ever since I have just had the paperwork ready to go before then and same story, drive up, hand it to them, come inside to get it stamped, then be on my merry way. I have never spent more than 30 minutes at the Canadian crossings.. Getting back into the US once, it was a shit show with a new guy, but other than that taking a firearm in Canada is painless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.  No bueno.  You can get a permit to take a hunting rifle through, but I hear it can be a pain.  CPTCARL's story sounds pretty easy though, so maybe it has improved ?

This was my experience as well.  Had my paperwork filled out before hitting the checkpoint, but I had filled it out incorrectly.  The border guard helped me fill out the new forms and had me on my way quickly with no fuss.  I can only hope the return trop goes as smooth.  Better yet, hopefully there will be not return trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top