Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2015 12:45:12 AM EDT
How difficult is it to get ammo / reloading components in Alaska (Fairbanks / Fort Wainwright?

Would it be worth it for me to stock up down here in the lower 48 and freight ship myself a metric shit ton of ammo via a freight forwarder?

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to bring up and are you driving/flying?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you want to bring up and are you driving/flying?
View Quote

5,000+ of ammo.  

50+ pounds of primers and powder.  

Dozen handguns, half dozen long guns.  

Suppressor.  

Two dogs.  

Wife and two kids under the age of three.  

Two vehicles.  

As of now the plan is to let the military ship one vehicle, drive to Washington in the other with the guns, dogs, and ammo.  Ship the guns and ammo via Lynden to Fairbanks.  Drive the ALCAN with the dogs.  Fly the wife and kids up once I arrive and get settled.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
5000 rounds or pounds of ammo?
View Quote

uafgrad is asking this because all of the shipping/cargo/transport stuff is in terms of pounds. Alaska Air lets you fly with up to 50 pounds of ammo. They also specifically allow suppressors in checked luggage. The ferry from Washington is similarly done in pounds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
5,000 rounds.  

I'm at a tipping point where I can either shoot a good chunk of it off before I leave or I can stockpile it up.  

I have a small enclosed trailer that I am going to get a shipping quote on from Lynden.  I could fill it up with guns, ammo, and other gear I don't particularly like to hand over to the movers.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Canada requires some paper(s) from your vet for your dogs
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Your plan sounds good, re shipping  via Lynden.
  5000 rounds not near enough though, consider   doing  a lot of  SHOPPING  before you head up this way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your plan sounds good, re shipping  via Lynden.   5000 rounds not near enough though, consider   doing  a lot of  SHOPPING  before you head up this way.
View Quote

This--if you're going to freight stuff up, bring the limit. Buy stuff by the case, not the box. A lot of places have been having good prices on centerfire lately.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
So what I've been able to pencil out so far is this:

I can ship the NFA firearms to an FFL up there.  They will not open the  box.  They charge $25 to receive the package, addressed to me care of them. That solves one problem.  I can then hand my normal firearms off to the contractor movers.  

For the ammo, I contacted Lynden today.  The rep I got on the phone was not firing on all cylinders.  He took down my information and said someone else would call me back.  I have a small enclosed utility trailer that, if they will accept, I plan to load up with components and ammo.  

I know it will be a hazard class 1.4 explosives shipment.  Just trying to figure out how it has to be packaged and how much I can bring.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Talked to the freight forwarding company, they're willing to accept guns, ammo, and reloading components in a trailer.  Didn't mention any limit when I asked about it.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So what I've been able to pencil out so far is this:

I can ship the NFA firearms to an FFL up there. They will not open the  box.  They charge $25 to receive the package, addressed to me care of them. That solves one problem.  I can then hand my normal firearms off to the contractor movers.  

For the ammo, I contacted Lynden today.  The rep I got on the phone was not firing on all cylinders.  He took down my information and said someone else would call me back.  I have a small enclosed utility trailer that, if they will accept, I plan to load up with components and ammo.  

I know it will be a hazard class 1.4 explosives shipment.  Just trying to figure out how it has to be packaged and how much I can bring.  

View Quote

I'd be 100% sure of the legalities on that one.  I've never heard of anything like that before.  If you talked to Frontier Outfitters, I can pretty much promise the box will get opened and logged btw.  Then again, they know jack and shit about NFA stuff these days.

Why can't you just ship to yourself and have it held at one of the local post offices?

Mostly curious on all this.  Hoping to pick up my first suppressor this year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Question about firearms with Air Alaska. Is there a limit on handguns? Ideally, I'd like to UPS my rifles and take my handguns with me. Do they have to be sealed individually or can they all be in a hard Pelican case?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Question about firearms with Air Alaska. Is there a limit on handguns? Ideally, I'd like to UPS my rifles and take my handguns with me. Do they have to be sealed individually or can they all be in a hard Pelican case?
View Quote

All in a pelican case is fine.  Not sure if there is a limit to how many, but I've flown with 7 firearms in one case before.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had my pelican 1740's loaded to 100 lbs and one with 4 rifles and 8 pistols alone. They don't care how many, as long as they are secure and unloaded
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are driving, double check the RCMP website for firearms/ammo laws, they allow a good quantity of sporting ammo to be transported in your vehicle.

I just drove through in JUN and had the exact limit allowed at the time:

5K rounds of ammo
5K primers
10lbs powder.

If you get their online brochure, it spells it out clearly to the round and pound what you can transport and it is of each, not an either / or thing.

I declared it at the border, assured them I had no firearms, just SPORTING AMMUNITION, and they let me through with no issues, didn't even want to see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top