Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2015 10:44:37 AM EDT
We're taking a pre-marital honeymoon in Fairbanks next week--taking the fiancee dog sledding (learning to actually mush, not just riding). (If we go after the wedding, I'd end up having to do homework and take a midterm for my online graduate class in biotechnology techniques, and I want to avoid that. Fiancee understands as she's a PhD student.)

Any restaurant recommendations? We like spicy food.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You might try the pump house, or Silver gulch or Two Rivers if you feel like driving.

My favorite was always Pasta Bella.  But, I don't know if they still exist!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Pump house food still sucks...

Silver Gulch has gone way downhill..

Two Rivers is spendy and wasn't that good last time we went...

Gambardella's Pasta Bella, actually has improved a lot..

Booby's isn't very good...

Turtle club sucks canal water.  Their prime rib isn;t that good.  Sadly most folks up here don;t know what good prime rib actually is. They are used to the Turtle Club's crappy meat..

Valatta isn't bad but no that great for the price.

Zum Schwabe isn't good at all...... German and I'm german.

Taco Azteca/Mayan Palace...  Hope you like siting on the can all night.

Denny's  please.....

Airport Way family rest... please...

Wolf Run.  still shitty as usual...and spendy!

Oasis..Meh....

Lavelle's Bistro is actually pretty amazing and their prime rib is juicy!

Shogun's Hibachi is very good, with plenty to eat for the money.

Miguel's Mexican is really good.

Fushimi is not too bad and price is semi ok.

Tokyo Express for sushis is great on the price!

Thai House downtown on 5th is amazing!

C&J's Drive in good for lunch.

Sourdough Sam is pretty good for breakfast.

There ya go form a serious foodie!

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
A honeymoon.

In Fairbanks

In February.

You sir, are in for some pain.  Has your new bride ever felt -45?

UAF are you guys getting any of this crazy wind up there?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man I hate to break it to you, but it is cold as fuck right now
They are calling for 50 below tonight, though it is supposed to warm up to around zero in a week.  I sincerely hope it makes it there for you guys.
View Quote

Been keeping an eye on the temperature. Google says -10 Monday, -4 Tuesday, and 8, 9, and 22 after that for Fairbanks.
Positive numbers are good, right?

ETA: Newsminer agrees with Google. Channel 11/Accuweather predicts a little colder earlier in the week.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All of the thai places are good to go

Where are you staying in town
When will  you be here
Doing anything else while you are here

Other places that are worth a mention.... Wolf Run (Mediterannean food) Lavelles Bistro, The Vallata, Gallentinos, Turtle Club

I hope you have a great trip
View Quote

Thai is good. We had a friend from AK recommend Wolf Run too.
We're staying on the west side, near the airport. We have no definite plans other than the dogs and the Museum of the North.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<snip>
Lavelle's Bistro is actually pretty amazing and their prime rib is juicy!
Shogun's Hibachi is very good, with plenty to eat for the money.
Miguel's Mexican is really good.
Fushimi is not too bad and price is semi ok.
Tokyo Express for sushis is great on the price!
Thai House downtown on 5th is amazing!
C&J's Drive in good for lunch.
Sourdough Sam is pretty good for breakfast.

There ya go form a serious foodie!
View Quote

We'll probably skip the Mexican--flying from Texas to Alaska, and eating Mexican just seems... wrong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
<snip>Has your new bride ever felt -45?<snip>
View Quote

Well, they have a minus 20 walk-in at work and a smaller -80. (She's working on a PhD in cancer genetics.)
We figured if we enjoyed Fairbanks in February, anything else couldn't be that bad.
Plus, we hate crowds, so going in the off season made sense at the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone! I'll give updates as events progress.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, they have a minus 20 walk-in at work and a smaller -80. (She's working on a PhD in cancer genetics.)
We figured if we enjoyed Fairbanks in February, anything else couldn't be that bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on

I was just bustin' your chops.

I hope you have a great time, sir!
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 to a lot of what the guys have said.

Lovelle's is (IMO) the closest we have to a 4 star here in Fairbanks.  That said, the food is absolutely fantastic and the prices reflect that.
Aloha Hawaiian BBQ is a favorite of mine, but I know the owners.  Still, pretty kick ass hawaiian food without going to the 'aina.

Chena hot springs is great this time of year.  As a heads up, there will be a lot of japanese tourists that like to get lucky in the rock pool after dark.  Speaking of dark, we are having an incredible winter for the aurora.  If you have a decent camera, there are plenty of good viewing spots.  There is also the ice museum downtown that has a ton of carvings.  If you were coming in march, I'd definitely say to visit the ice carving championships.

Next friday is the Golden Run sled dog races btw.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Since the kids are grown and out the wife and I enjoy fine dining a couple times a month.   Lavelles Bistro is the best place in town.  2nd place isn't close.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since the kids are grown and out the wife and I enjoy fine dining a couple times a month.   Lavelles Bistro is the best place in town.  2nd place isn't close.
View Quote

Yup. Get the calamari. Best I've ever had, even in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I always go to Fox, and hit the brewery

Good food, too
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Right on

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on

You wouldn't be the first (or the last) to question our sanity in our travel plans.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
<snip>Next friday is the Golden Run sled dog races btw.
View Quote

Friday is the draw--Saturday and Sunday are the run. That was on our list of possibilities for Sat/Sun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
We're here. -27F is OK--there's no wind or humidity here. I'll be doing a write up of the clothing and stuff we bought for this, to help out other people that have never had to buy cold weather clothing. My fiancee said I did very well--she was warm when we walked to the store and back (6 blocks or so).
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a supper club in Fox that was good. And Dillingers is good for breakfast. The Hide Out if you drink your breakfast.

And my dad met my mom at the Comet Club so that's somewhere I like to go when I'm up there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's a supper club in Fox that was good. And Dillingers is good for breakfast. The Hide Out if you drink your breakfast.

And my dad met my mom at the Comet Club so that's somewhere I like to go when I'm up there.
View Quote

That supper club has the best Prime Rib ever!   The Silver Gulch brewery is right there, too.  Good stuff, and a nice restaurant.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dillingers and The Hide Out no longer exist. Comet Club is barely staying open. They won't last long.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Comet Club just closed this winter too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Haven't been to Fairbanks in a few years?
The Hideout/Dillingers is now a car wash
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't been to Fairbanks in a few years?
The Hideout/Dillingers is now a car wash

Yeah, it's been a few years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#27]
What dog tour company did you go to?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

We went to Sirius Sled Dogs. We just did our second day there. It was a lot of fun. IM/email if you have more questions.

We're still here. It warmed up a lot--it got up around 10 yesterday and 12 today. We walked around UAF after going to the Museum of the North and walked to Wolf Run. Food was pretty good. They were out of the guinea hen we wanted to try, but the kabob special was really good. While we were there (Wednesday night) there were people calling trying to book for Valentines (Sat night). They were offering people lunch seatings as the only thing available. One caller wanted reservations for 6.

Zach's Restaurant at Sophie Station Suites is pretty good, depending on the dish. Their mulligatawny is incredible! (Go when Jesse or Caitlynn are working and ask for recommendations.)
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#29]
No love for the Cookie Jar for breakfast?  I have always enjoyed going there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't been to the Cookie Jar in forever, but they were always pretty damn good.  Shame their baked goods are so expensive.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife worked there for over a year. I fucking love their Steak Pottage and they make a decent breakfast. Haven't been back since she left. Bob and his Wife are douchenozzle's to the employees.. yelling and screaming all the time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Turns out one of the students in my upcoming online class lives in Fairbanks. He recommended the Cookie Jar as his and his wife's favorite restaurant.

We walked over to the Loose Moose Cafe today--the caribou cheese steak was pretty good, but the reindeer dogs are incredible!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#33]
If you like good beer check out the HOo Doo brewery while your here. It's off Phillips field rd by the RR tracks
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#34]
We're back in Houston. Miss the low humidity of Fairbanks already. I've got an online grad class starting, but as soon as I'm caught up, I'll write up a review of all the gear from our trip. I'm hoping it will be useful to others going to Alaska for the first time, since it will have links to specific stuff we bought and comments about what worked and what didn't.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We went to Sirius Sled Dogs. We just did our second day there. It was a lot of fun. IM/email if you have more questions.

We're still here. It warmed up a lot--it got up around 10 yesterday and 12 today. We walked around UAF after going to the Museum of the North and walked to Wolf Run. Food was pretty good. They were out of the guinea hen we wanted to try, but the kabob special was really good. While we were there (Wednesday night) there were people calling trying to book for Valentines (Sat night). They were offering people lunch seatings as the only thing available. One caller wanted reservations for 6.

Zach's Restaurant at Sophie Station Suites is pretty good, depending on the dish. Their mulligatawny is incredible! (Go when Jesse or Caitlynn are working and ask for recommendations.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. My wife and I run sled dogs, and have some good friends who run tour buisnesses. I don't know the folks over at Sirius, but hear they're good people. How was the tour?

I've been here for a while now, and have my gear pretty well figured out, but I'm looking forward to your reviews. Always looking for the next best thing!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
<snip>Okay. My wife and I run sled dogs, and have some good friends who run tour buisnesses. I don't know the folks over at Sirius, but hear they're good people. How was the tour?
I've been here for a while now, and have my gear pretty well figured out, but I'm looking forward to your reviews. Always looking for the next best thing!
View Quote

IM sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top