Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 5:21:01 PM EDT
Precision Rifle Class (00 of 12 spots left):

The first class is full.  Frank Galli and Marc Taylor are teaching a Precision Rifle Class on June 8th and 9th. It is a two day class, the cost is $500. The class size is limited to 12 students. The location will be at the Upper Susitna Shooters Association 1000 Yard Range, near Talketna.

The course will include both classroom style instruction, as well as live fire training.

Significant time is spent in the science and theory of:

1. Proper equipment set up and considerations.
2. Ballistics
3. Ammunition
4. Wind
5. Climate
6. Weather
7. Elevation
8. Data keeping
9. Proper zeros
10. Usage of DOPE (Data of Previous Engagement)

Students will be confident to take shots with there accurized rifle up to and exceeding 1000 yards. You will also be able to read wind, atmospheric conditions and use proper DOPE calls for those engagements.

Equipment required to attend the course is simple.

1. You will need a rifle chambered in a caliber of .338 or less. Normal short action chamberings are preferred, such as any 6mm, 6.5mm 7mm, or .308. Keep in mind, with range limitations, students will be shooting next to each other. Muzzle brakes are discouraged, as they make shooting uncomfortable for peers, and instruction more difficult for instructors. Silencers are heavily encouraged, but not mandatory.

2. It needs to be scoped. FFP MIL scopes are preferred. MOA is also acceptable. SFP will limit your abilities. It needs to be of sufficient magnification to reach 1000 yards.

3. Need to have a bipod, rear bag, and log book. A shooting mat is highly suggested.

4. At least 100 rounds of ammunition. Match grade commercial is acceptable, hand loads are preferred and heavily encouraged. It is suggested to bring more.

The time is now to further prepare your equipment, and AKPR is an excellent group for asking questions on anything from scope selection, bullet selection, hand loading equipment, or any other gear.

Camping and restrooms are made available for those that would like to stay at the club house. Bring sleeping gear and food if you would like. No alcohol or drugs are allowed on the range.

Class is filling up fast. The first 12 people to send their checks to:

Marc Taylor OR Frank Galli
8225 Old Seward, A,
Anchorage, AK, 99518

are in. It is also acceptable to drop off the course fee to Marc Taylor at Wiggy's Alaska. Credit cards are also accepted. Checks will not be cashed until the course is absolutely on and Frank needs forwarded fees for travel. Know that, you will be fully refunded if no training takes place.

There will be a standby list created when the maximum amount of students is reached.

There is an event created for the class in the group:

Alaska Precision Rifle

Further questions for people that do not have facebook can be asked here or of Marc at Wiggy's Alaska.  I am not financially involved in any way in this class.  I can pass along information, but Frank and Marc are the people that are organizing it, and are the financial parties.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
hummm, ill see.
What is the requirement for prior experience?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No prior experience needed, although this is not a beginning shooters class.  You will need to be able to grasp the basic terminology already, as well as be able to understand the bulk of the information given in a classroom setting.

This is not a marksmanship class, it is a long range tactical shooting class.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Where, exactly is the 1000 yard range ?

Do they have an actual pit, with flags there... Or  do we shoot steel plates ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where, exactly is the 1000 yard range ?.
  Do they have an actual pit, with flags there... Or  do we shoot steel plates ?
View Quote

Upper Susitna Shooters Association 1000 Yard Range, near Talketna.  There is a lot of information on the "Alaska Precision Rifle" page on Facebook. I'm looking forward to some instruction from Frank Galli and Mark Taylor.

Until that day,
Darkop
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm really looking forward to this also. Looks like only a couple spots left.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Class is all filled up.  Anyone that is still interested, a second class is in planning for the couple of days after this class.  Minimum is 8 people.  I will post when that class is for sure.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Likely this is being attended by guys mostly with bolt guns, correct?

I would love to stretch my .308 AR out to those distances.  I am intrigued.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, mostly bolt guns.  I do think one or two of them are using gas guns though.  You are welcome to bring your gas gun.

The second class is on for June 8th and 9th.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
10 spots left.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Will a 16" 308 make it to 1,000 yards?
This is my only "precision" setup.

The class looks to be a great opportunity to learn and improve skills.
I just don't really have a 1,000 yard platform.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Will a 16" 308 make it to 1,000 yards?
This is my only "precision" setup.

The class looks to be a great opportunity to learn and improve skills.
I just don't really have a 1,000 yard platform.
View Quote

You can.... if you are shooting 168gr, they need to be going pretty fast. 175gr bullets do better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, 168s will not.  175s certainly can, but I doubt you can get the FPS out of a 16" gasser.  You could try some Berger OTMs, they are stable through transonic and will get there, although more slowly obviously.  What are you shooting out of it, and what sort of FPS are you getting at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not setup to reload.
Fgmm 168 or 175, haven't chronographed either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
03/10 Spots left
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Both classes are filled to capacity.  Should be a great 4 days of training!  Look forward to hopefully having Frank come back up next year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Both classes are filled to capacity.  Should be a great 4 days of training!  Look forward to hopefully having Frank come back up next year.
View Quote

Awesome, glad you guys were able to fill both classes.
Hope it goes well and they decide to come up again next year!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#17]
For personal reasons, I need to bow out of the 6+7 June class, will call Marc tuesday morning.
There will be an opening, wait until 1000 hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top