Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 11:11:17 PM EDT
Started this thread in GD, but was hoping to get a little more info.

GD Thread

Im leaving Ft Sill here shortly and Wainwright is in my top three choices.  Alaska is a place Iv always wanted to go to and the other options I have really are not that spectacular.  That being said, I dont know much about Fairbanks, and my wife knows even less. Already tracking the cold part.  Trying to find out what else there is to do in the area.  I know Denali is right around the corner, there is tons of fishing, and some great hunting.  So heres what Im looking for more info on.

Whats the cost of living like?  I know its higher than most of CONUS but how high is it?  

What is the housing like? We are probably looking for a 2-3 bedroom house to rent and have a GSD that needs some room to run.

Are there any fun seasonal events?  I heard about the ice sculptures, but other than that I havent heard about much.  Any summer fairs, beer festivals, local events ect?  Im not so much worried about the summer but something to break up the winters when its dark so we dont get cabin fever.

Shopping (wifes #1 priority).  The town we are in is large but doesnt have much and its driving her nuts.  Just a couple of local grocery stores and one or two shopping centers.  

Nightlife?  We dont go out clubbing or anything, but are there a couple of nice bars where a couple can go with friends?

Anyone here in 25th ID?  If so are you willing to talk about the unit?   I havent met anyone yet who hasnt like the unit, but I frankly dont know much about it.  I know its a Stryker reg, but beyond that I dont know much about the base or BDE there.  

Any info you guys have would be great.  Right now its in my top two choices, but I have to make up my mind by Wednesday so Im hoping for some last minute input from local guys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice climate, very clear most of the time, seldom rains.

In town the mosquitoes wont bother you much at all.

They get thick away from town in summer.

Only 60 miles drive to Chena Hotsprings.

Alaskans call Fairbanks a "city" but they only have 33,000 in city limits, so it will act like a small town for you.

Pretty easy place to live. The cold won't bother you much, IF you get outside and do stuff, run, walk, ski, roll in the snow, walk the dogs, target shoot, chop wood, snowmachine, etc.... If you hole up inside all the time, you will be miserable, and not acclimatize at all.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a ton to do in Fairbanks.  Here.

http://explorefairbanks.com/things-to-do
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
How close is the town to Wainwright?  Is it a pretty easy commute?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I live on post with a GSD, he loves it there. Not a big back yard but plenty of places on post to let him run, hike trails etc.  He is never wanting for activities
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How close is the town to Wainwright?  Is it a pretty easy commute?
View Quote

Pretty much touching.  The Airport Way/Steese Highway intersection is also the main entrance to FTW.

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.8341996,-147.7017698,14z
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as cold- been here since 2008 at Ft Greely (which you will become intimately familiar with most likely)  I walked out tonight wearing PT shorts and a hoodie about 25 yards, started my truck and walked back in, twice- it was -40.  Autostart would be awesome but for $600 I can be cold every now and then.  Its what you make of it- like somebody said, you gotta get out in it or you'll be miserable.  If you like hunting/fishing you'll love it up here man.  Bring an ATV up if you can afford it, they are pricey up here.  Also plan on making trips with the wife to Anchorage to shop and eat at the popular chain restaurants, its about a 5 1/2 hr drive or a 45 min flight.

I think CPTCARL is at FWA and could be big help if you had any specific questions but I think they are at NTC right now and will be back in just a few weeks. (I believe he's in 25 ID).  I do know the on post family housing is really nice.  Check craigslist for places to rent- TONS of them including houses.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Finding a house that will allow a dog may be a challenge for you.
View Quote

Really?  How come?  Are there a lot of breed restrictions or just difficult to find houses that allow dogs?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As far as cold- been here since 2008 at Ft Greely (which you will become intimately familiar with most likely)  I walked out tonight wearing PT shorts and a hoodie about 25 yards, started my truck and walked back in, twice- it was -40.  Autostart would be awesome but for $600 I can be cold every now and then.  Its what you make of it- like somebody said, you gotta get out in it or you'll be miserable.  If you like hunting/fishing you'll love it up here man.  Bring an ATV up if you can afford it, they are pricey up here.  Also plan on making trips with the wife to Anchorage to shop and eat at the popular chain restaurants, its about a 5 1/2 hr drive or a 45 min flight.

I think CPTCARL is at FWA and could be big help if you had any specific questions but I think they are at NTC right now and will be back in just a few weeks. (I believe he's in 25 ID).  I do know the on post family housing is really nice.  Check craigslist for places to rent- TONS of them including houses.
View Quote

Id love to get into ATVing.  Whats the season like? Is summer long enough to enjoy?  Im used to 5-6 months and am assuming thats probably a little optimistic for that far north.  

Also, since you touched on it, hows the dining?  Town Im currently in has a lot of the chain restaurants (Red Lobster, Chilis, ect) but almost nothing original.  Makes date night a little dull.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We have very few chain restaurants but do have a few nice restaurants
View Quote

Thats perfect.  Not a huge fan of chains at all.  The more local and variety the better.  Any breweries?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actually yes, there are a few
Good beer is easy to find
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have very few chain restaurants but do have a few nice restaurants

Thats perfect.  Not a huge fan of chains at all.  The more local and variety the better.  Any breweries?

Actually yes, there are a few
Good beer is easy to find

Concur, many times over
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Good gun shops, throw a rock you will hit a FFL dealer, if they are good or not well that is your decision.
Um rough parts of town, well south Cushman requires a 4x4 and snorkle kit some springs if melt happens fast but as far as safety there are parts you wouldnt want to walk around solo drunk with a 100 dollar bill hanging out but all in all it is pretty safe. There is a problem in the state in general with women being sexually assualted but it tends to target small villiages at astronomical rates and avoid the cities, but take a sicko from a small villiage and put him in town and you have a problem.
Vitamin D supplments, in winter are amazing(1000 UI a day), they take about 2 weeks to kick in after the light starts to drop down in September but they really help me(and many others) with the winter blues.
The women situation here is bad, it isnt 10:1 men to women, that is the ratio of ones you dont want to date to those you do. We have an automatic +2 handicap for being female and breathing in state.

There are several decent ranges, they are called "well outside town and nobody cares" , they are located N, S,E and W of town about 20 miles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good gun shops, throw a rock you will hit a FFL dealer, if they are good or not well that is your decision.
Um rough parts of town, well south Cushman requires a 4x4 and snorkle kit some springs if melt happens fast but as far as safety there are parts you wouldnt want to walk around solo drunk with a 100 dollar bill hanging out but all in all it is pretty safe. There is a problem in the state in general with women being sexually assualted but it tends to target small villiages at astronomical rates and avoid the cities, but take a sicko from a small villiage and put him in town and you have a problem.
Vitamin D supplments, in winter are amazing(1000 UI a day), they take about 2 weeks to kick in after the light starts to drop down in September but they really help me(and many others) with the winter blues.
The women situation here is bad, it isnt 10:1 men to women, that is the ratio of ones you dont want to date to those you do. We have an automatic +2 handicap for being female and breathing in state.

There are several decent ranges, they are called "well outside town and nobody cares" , they are located N, S,E and W of town about 20 miles.
View Quote

LMAO  Wife carrys and is a decent shot.  I have to look into whether or not our carry permit transfers.  As her last 3 Bday and Xmas presents have been guns, Ill get shot for chasing any of the local girls so the women thing isnt a problem.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]
We have constitutional carry no CCW needed to carry bro .
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have constitutional carry no CCW needed to carry bro .
View Quote

That. Is. Awesome

Oh, and the wife is now a member so Im sure she will be in here shortly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:08:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Ambushed my wife here while she was on vacation from California and she's hated me ever since.

Winters can suck for some folks, but I enjoy them. I bailed on Fairbanks this winter though and moved to Wasilla until we PCS to Eglin in april/may.

Ammo is expensive, not any AR catering shops but there are several gun shows throughout the year that offer most things. Bring your own .22 if you have it.

Also check out the Alaska outdoors forums.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LMAO  Wife carrys and is a decent shot.  I have to look into whether or not our carry permit transfers.  As her last 3 Bday and Xmas presents have been guns, Ill get shot for chasing any of the local girls so the women thing isnt a problem.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait until you meet a tundra wookie!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, why are you mean to Sig like that?  Dude was in Galena for 87 days solid.  

On a serious note...

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

On a serious note...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a serious note...

negative,  I'm Appalachian Sasquatch varient
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a serious note...

Good show, old chap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Gumbil, I live on FWA.  I work for the garrison.  Let me know if you have any questions about post.  I'll answer what I can.  I'm currently traveling but will be back on post tonight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gumbil, I live on FWA.  I work for the garrison.  Let me know if you have any questions about post.  I'll answer what I can.  I'm currently traveling but will be back on post tonight.
View Quote

Absolutely will do.  Had my interview with branch yesterday so my choices are in.  Should know in a few weeks.  Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got on assignment to Wainwright. Tag for further reading.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top