Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 3:44:49 AM EDT
Way faster speeds for the same or cheaper prices.  150gb @ 50mb/s for $85 and 300gb @ 100 mb/s for $135 for example.

Thought I'd pass it on.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Still has caps. I doubt we will see unlimited usage again unless the market changes significantly, or the govt forces it to happen (FSA, Yo!)

The cable modem plans have been reduced to four. I think there is still a Long Distance bundle discount that applies to this pricing, but I am not sure.

I don't believe your CM plan changes unless you request it, however. So if you are on a old plan, it stays as is unless you ask them to change it. New customers get only these four choices.

This is Anchorage:
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a way to split out what I actually use in data vs data used by incoming tv. Do you guys have an idea how much data you are going through in a normal month? This is one of the things I've got to look at since the wife and I both work from home.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
We are crushing our usage.  We hit 80% of our data yesterday.  I had to cut off the wifi to ensure we could watch a movie or two between now and the end of the month :(
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The usage cap sucks... But ACS is dial up speed where I live (off Badger) so I'm screwed... I can't stand GCI but its them or no net :(
Clint
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#6]
[DISCLAIMER - I'm a subcontractor for Verizon]  I'm running into a lot of ACS customers with horrible internet through their DSL. I've been told they cannot even legally be called "high speed" anymore. If this is you, I suggest you check  out Verizon's HomeFusion broadband option.  It's new to Alaska and works off the 4G LTE signal so not being able to see a satellite is not a problem.  I have seen up to 42Mb for speed so far though 8-12Mb is what customers are told to expect, upload speed almost as fast as download.  But the drawback is that the data plan is limited to 10, 20, or 30GB.  Signal could be an issue in some small areas but I've installed all the way from Ester to Salcha successfully.  If you can't get 4G LTE but can get 3G, Verizon also has a mobile hotspot that works and I think most other competitors offer such devices as well.

If you need a alternative solution and thought there was none, there may be a new one now to check out.

ETA: It occurred to me a couple of my customers had a system called Alaska Connect or some such, small dish that points at a tower somewhere.  I don't know their coverage or anything about their plans but the speeds seemed quite slow.  However, it may be an option if nothing else works for you.  Another alternative could be Dishnet's Starband.  [another DISCLAIMER - the company I work for installs those as well as other systems].  It's a dish system so you would need line of sight.  HughesNet is yet another.

cleared by Mod

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Verizon MIFI unit I got through Milinicom. dowloads are 15 MBS

I get 20 GB for $85 a month.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I switched from ACS at 4megs to the re:D in December, it's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just went in and talked with them
I will save $50/mo (for first year and then $25/mo), gain 100 channels and increase my speed from 15 to 50 down and 1 to 2 up and 50GBs more data just by dropping my home phone
View Quote

We're probably going to be talking to them here in the next week or so before our internet rolls over for a new month.  Hoping they'll have some kind of promo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top