Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 2:53:24 AM EDT
Kachemak Gear Shed charged $53.75, pretty stiff fee for Homer Alaska.
.nics check, and transfer on a single used police trade in from CDNN.

What is the worst you have seen ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
$50 bucks in Anchorage at several of the smaller gun shops...  Its stiff, but I'm OK with it since their time isn't cheap and they have to keep records on file for years.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kachemak Gear Shed charged $53.75, pretty stiff fee for Homer Alaska..nics check, and transfer on a single used police trade in from CDNN.
View Quote

Only ordered a gun online once and got a $50 transfer from AK Tactical. I didn't mind because the gun was on sale for 370 or so at Buds the way I look at it is I would have spent the $50 anyways plus Buds offers free shipping on handguns so.I basically paid the shipping.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
$10 at Arctic Ammo and Reloading in Wasilla.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to be a place in Anchorage that charged $50. But if the gun came in and they found it was a current production gun that they could have sold you, they charged MSRP plus 10% or something like that.

We used to charge $10. We wanted to help people out, and figured it would get our name out there a bit. But we found that the time we invested in the transfers was actually pretty high, and few people who had is do transfers would every buy anything from someone local anyway, even when we could give them a better price.

Then we had problems. We had guns show up with no prior arrangements, and no way to contact the buyer, we had people show up late at night, falling down drunk and belligerent, shoving their way in the door and trying to get my wife to do a transfer when I was not home. We had customers who insisted we did not open their packages until they were there to open them, which was an inconvenience at best and caused bad feelings when they were not available to pick the firearm up when it arrived, which meant we had to open them anyway to log the firearms.

Someone sent a firearm that was misrepresented and had the serial numbers ground off, and refused to make it right for our customer. It wasn't our fault, but we felt horrible.

Then one evening a guy showed up for two guns he bought from Buds, giving them a fake name, number, and address, so we had no idea who they belonged to.

He was shifty and had a long-expired driver's license, "Because he had so much trouble with the police, that he was trying to stay under the radar," he said. So I did not transfer the firearms to him.

He then became increasingly hostile over the next weeks, sending threatening emails and letters, including a certified letter that said he had the right to use deadly force against anyone who deprived him of his constitutional rights, and that he would be coming to take the guns by force. He said that unless I gave him the guns, my children's lives were in danger.

My wife went out one day to find him in the neighbor's yard watching our house. We started finding piles cigarette butts outside the kids windows in the mornings. He forced his way in once when my mother-in-law was visiting and was home alone with the kids, and threatened her. He sent a letter the the ATFE, putting our company and personal names on it, telling the ATFE that they had a week to prove that he could not have a gun transferred to him without ID, and if not we had agreed to do the transfer to him.

Then we got sued for not transferring a firearm, and though we won, it cost us thousands in the end. We couldn't do enough transfers in a lifetime to recover the cost of that lawsuit.

So when someone charges $25 or $45 for a transfer, well, it might be stiffer than others, but it does take time, takes attention away from other customers at the counter, and can bring a load of headaches and costs, and dealing with the seller on the buyer's behalf can become a nightmare, too, so I won't be too hard on them over the price.

We don't do transfers any more, except for friends and customers we have done transfers for in the past.

The guys who do $10 transfers are basically working for free, so give them a $10 or $20 tip when you pick up your gun.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Same story, no ID, I wouldn't transfer, he thought he was some kind of self-taught lawyer who was looking for a case to take to the Supreme Court. He wanted me to transfer firearms to him without a background check, then when I was charged, he would act as my lawyer and appeal it to the Supreme Court. That might have given him his day of glory, but it would have given me years in jail.

I refused, returned the firearms to the sender, and he sued me. He knew just enough about law and the court system to keepthe thing dragging on, requesting to amend this and that and stuff like that, so that it delayed everything and we had to oppose him each time, which was more cost for our lawyer's time, and he just drug it out and drug it out. He knew how to cost us a ton of money. He wanted a trial by jury, but eventually the judge tired of him and we got a letter stating that the judge had ruled in our favor.

The guy probably didn't help his case by accusing the judge of collaborating with our lawyer and hinted that he had taken a bribe. Also, he wore dark glasses, a heavy coat, and a hat in the courtroom and refused to remove the hat or glasses.

We are still expecting him to try to sue us in Federal court, but because of several things, they would not likely allow him to sue.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the time everything works out fine. Then there are the headache ones. LOTS of boxes with nothing in them but the item so no idea who it's for.  Or boxes sent from individuals from thrips store with no way to log them in. Once got a loaded rifle 0_o. Quite a few sellers online who misrepresent items and stuff needs to be sent back. Guys who keep refreshing the tracking and as soon as it says delivered they are calling or showing up. One of these days I'll raise the price

Some guys have even left gun(s) sit for over 2(?) years before picking them up. I was beginning to think I had 2 new rifles.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kachemak Gear Shed charged $53.75, pretty stiff fee for Homer Alaska..nics check, and transfer on a single used police trade in from CDNN.
View Quote

you musta got the bearded one on a bad day
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WOW
We really need to go to a loser pays system
Sue someone in court, and lose, you're paying the tab for everyone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same story, no ID, I wouldn't transfer, he thought he was some kind of self-taught lawyer who was looking for a case to take to the Supreme Court. He wanted me to transfer firearms to him without a background check, then when I was charged, he would act as my lawyer and appeal it to the Supreme Court. That might have given him his day of glory, but it would have given me years in jail.

I refused, returned the firearms to the sender, and he sued me. He knew just enough about law and the court system to keepthe thing dragging on, requesting to amend this and that and stuff like that, so that it delayed everything and we had to oppose him each time, which was more cost for our lawyer's time, and he just drug it out and drug it out. He knew how to cost us a ton of money. He wanted a trial by jury, but eventually the judge tired of him and we got a letter stating that the judge had ruled in our favor.

The guy probably didn't help his case by accusing the judge of collaborating with our lawyer and hinted that he had taken a bribe. Also, he wore dark glasses, a heavy coat, and a hat in the courtroom and refused to remove the hat or glasses.

We are still expecting him to try to sue us in Federal court, but because of several things, they would not likely allow him to sue.

WOW
We really need to go to a loser pays system
Sue someone in court, and lose, you're paying the tab for everyone

I was thinking the same thing. Far too many frivolous lawsuits out there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guaranteed, the only sex he gets is reaming  customers at the counter.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Used to be a place in Anchorage that charged $50. But if the gun came in and they found it was a current production gun that they could have sold you, they charged MSRP plus 10% or something like that.

We used to charge $10. We wanted to help people out, and figured it would get our name out there a bit. But we found that the time we invested in the transfers was actually pretty high, and few people who had is do transfers would every buy anything from someone local anyway, even when we could give them a better price.

Then we had problems. We had guns show up with no prior arrangements, and no way to contact the buyer, we had people show up late at night, falling down drunk and belligerent, shoving their way in the door and trying to get my wife to do a transfer when I was not home. We had customers who insisted we did not open their packages until they were there to open them, which was an inconvenience at best and caused bad feelings when they were not available to pick the firearm up when it arrived, which meant we had to open them anyway to log the firearms.

Someone sent a firearm that was misrepresented and had the serial numbers ground off, and refused to make it right for our customer. It wasn't our fault, but we felt horrible.

Then one evening a guy showed up for two guns he bought from Buds, giving them a fake name, number, and address, so we had no idea who they belonged to.

He was shifty and had a long-expired driver's license, "Because he had so much trouble with the police, that he was trying to stay under the radar," he said. So I did not transfer the firearms to him.

He then became increasingly hostile over the next weeks, sending threatening emails and letters, including a certified letter that said he had the right to use deadly force against anyone who deprived him of his constitutional rights, and that he would be coming to take the guns by force. He said that unless I gave him the guns, my children's lives were in danger.

My wife went out one day to find him in the neighbor's yard watching our house. We started finding piles cigarette butts outside the kids windows in the mornings. He forced his way in once when my mother-in-law was visiting and was home alone with the kids, and threatened her. He sent a letter the the ATFE, putting our company and personal names on it, telling the ATFE that they had a week to prove that he could not have a gun transferred to him without ID, and if not we had agreed to do the transfer to him.

Then we got sued for not transferring a firearm, and though we won, it cost us thousands in the end. We couldn't do enough transfers in a lifetime to recover the cost of that lawsuit.

So when someone charges $25 or $45 for a transfer, well, it might be stiffer than others, but it does take time, takes attention away from other customers at the counter, and can bring a load of headaches and costs, and dealing with the seller on the buyer's behalf can become a nightmare, too, so I won't be too hard on them over the price.

We don't do transfers any more, except for friends and customers we have done transfers for in the past.

The guys who do $10 transfers are basically working for free, so give them a $10 or $20 tip when you pick up your gun.  
View Quote

THIS!

I have generally one FFL friend who does my transfers. He never wants to charge me because I let him know whats coming. I have the FFL it's coming from put my name on the box and paperwork and I show up with a NICS exempt ACAP. I always throw hm $50.00 cash and leave before he can throw it back!

Kudos 7.62  Be safe!

Until that day,
Darkop

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. Far too many frivolous lawsuits out there.
View Quote
Yeah, and while he had little hope of winning, he did know how to use the system to cost us a lot of time and money. It might have gone on a lot longer, but the judge saw an opportunity at one point and ruled in our favor, even though the guy was trying to drag it out. Other than a preliminary hearing, we never went to court. The judge could tell what was going on - most judges aren't stupid.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most of the time everything works out fine. Then there are the headache ones. LOTS of boxes with nothing in them but the item so no idea who it's for.  Or boxes sent from individuals from thrips store with no way to log them in. Once got a loaded rifle 0_o. Quite a few sellers online who misrepresent items and stuff needs to be sent back. Guys who keep refreshing the tracking and as soon as it says delivered they are calling or showing up. One of these days I'll raise the price

Some guys have even left gun(s) sit for over 2(?) years before picking them up. I was beginning to think I had 2 new rifles.
View Quote

Damn it, did they finally pick them up?  I thought I was going to get a sweet deal on those
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up but still haven't made it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
My FFL charges $35.  Which may be slightly higher than the national average, but I dont mind too much.  The last transfer they just threw in for free.  One before that they only charged $15 because there was a slight mix up and misunderstanding.  I shop there from time to time for ammo, and get my transfers done there just because.  Its only $10 higher than most other places.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow!!  Sorry to hear that you and your family had to deal with all this bullsh!t and those special @ssholes who have polluted the gene pool with their above average "retardedness."  I did several transfers with you over the years and both you and your wife were nothing but professional and just plain good people to deal with.

I hate to say this, but @ssholes who think they know the law and simply use the law as a tool to phuck with people need the sh!t kicked out of them since they are in need of a serious reality check.  

AGAIN!!  Another case of  @ssholes screwing things up for everybody.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Jerk out in Bethel asked $150 per gun once.  I laughed and hung up on him.

7.62Precision,  when you told me years back you were having some problems and didn't want to take new customers I had no idea.   Wow.

I have considered getting an FFL now that I'm in working in Dutch Harbor.   But, not anymore.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there anyone in Dutch with an FFL now, other than the hardware store? When I was there last, it was only that store in Unalaska, and they didn't like to do transfers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there anyone in Dutch with an FFL now, other than the hardware store? When I was there last, it was only that store in Unalaska, and they didn't like to do transfers.
View Quote

I'm not aware of any stocking FFLs on the island.  I was told there were none.   There is atleast one kitchen table FFL.  I have not met or had any dealings with them personally.  My co-worker told me he was buying a hand gun through him.  I have only been working there a couple months so my info could be Incomplete.

Seems like there would be a market for a small gun shop at Dutch.  Fishermen flush with cash and all that...
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not aware of any stocking FFLs on the island.  I was told there were none.   There is atleast one kitchen table FFL.  I have not met or had any dealings with them personally.  My co-worker told me he was buying a hand gun through him.  I have only been working there a couple months so my info could be Incomplete.

Seems like there would be a market for a small gun shop at Dutch.  Fishermen flush with cash and all that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flush with cash is one thing, bust their ability to pass a 4473 is another, they are not the most straight and narrow crowd around. Plus winter time would suck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]
No one mentioned Wild West?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Flush with cash is one thing, bust their ability to pass a 4473 is another, they are not the most straight and narrow crowd around. Plus winter time would suck.
View Quote
There are two types of people coming into Dutch for the seafood industry - a handful of professional fishermen and piles of imported workers - college kids and people from the lower 48 and around the world hoping for adventure and quick money, or just quick money, who are flown in to work for the processors and in the bellies of the factory trawlers.

The first group might be a solid customer base for a small gunshop, the second tends to be more interested in getting good and drunk on their day or two in town when they fly in or out, or in saving their money and sending it home to their families if they are foreign workers. Not much of a customer base there. A lot of people would also prefer to buy in town when they leave.

Still, flights to town are expensive, and people who live there would be pretty happy to have someone taking care of them on the firearm side. There would be enough demand there to be worth it, especially if someone treated people right.

One of the issues in the villages, is you get one guy with an FFL, and he knows you pay his prices or pay another $250 to $1000 to fly somewhere else. People pay his prices, but they don't like it, and if they can pick up guns while traveling for other reasons, they do, so he does less business.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Hello everyone, im new to AK and im attempting to place a order for a build but need an FFL to ship to.  I live on JBER and was hoping I could get some advice here on where to go for FFL transfer/shipping.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I use Arctic Arms. James is a good guy with inexpensive transfers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I swear, 75% of the FFL's I know are names James... Alaska illusive in North Pole is a James too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hello everyone, im new to AK and im attempting to place a order for a build but need an FFL to ship to.  I live on JBER and was hoping I could get some advice here on where to go for FFL transfer/shipping.  Thanks
View Quote

AK Tactical isn't cheap at $50 bucks but they're close to you on muldoon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I called AK tactical and whoever answered told me they to not do FFL transfers....but you're third person to recommend them
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

EDC Alaska across from Sears mall does transfers. He charged me $40 last time. Real nice guy, Named Juan. I usually buy some ammo or similar as a thanks for the transfer. Next I know its ok to leave a tip.

EDC Alaska
Machine Knife Supplier
Address: 515 E Northern Lights Blvd, Anchorage, AK 99503
Phone:(907) 770-1006
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

EDC Alaska across from Sears mall does transfers. He charged me $40 last time. Real nice guy, Named Juan. I usually buy some ammo or similar as a thanks for the transfer. Next I know its ok to leave a tip.

EDC Alaska
Machine Knife Supplier
View Quote

He has an ad on alaska list right now that says $25 transfers. Not sure if it's a limited time thing or his new price.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He has an ad on alaska list right now that says $25 transfers. Not sure if it's a limited time thing or his new price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDC Alaska
Machine Knife Supplier

I've used Juan for multiple transfers over the past couple months and it's always been $25. Great guy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks every one for the advice, called up Juan at EDC Alaska, super cool guy, and he hooked me up.......MATEN enroute!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I use Arctic Arms. James is a good guy with inexpensive transfers.
View Quote

He is a good dude.

I am not just saying that because he has my can in jail, I swear

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top