Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 11:31:46 PM EDT
Alaska AK47 owners. You guys know you can shoot steel case ammo in your rifles right? I only say this because the Cushman range is the only place I have ever shot where I have found reloadable brass 7.62x39 cases in anywhere near the quantities or frequency I do there. Any where in the lower 48 its a real oddity but here it seems like every week I am picking up between 20-100 cases.

I'm just wondering did someone start a rumor up here that you cant use steel case ammo in an AK 47 or something Or maybe everyone up here is rich and I just didn't realize and can afford 75 cents a round. It's not like there isn't a ton of Russian steel case around for $6.50 a box.

Its not a problem, I'll just keep on picking up all this awesome brass. I was just wondering what the deal is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know how many guys live in Fairbanks with +$100,000 incomes, live in crappy apartments, with the balance going to guns?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know how many guys live in Fairbanks with +$100,000 incomes, live in crappy apartments, with the balance going to guns?
View Quote

Apparently no. I grew up in western WA where people lived mostly on blue collar incomes or white collar but didn't spend crap tons of money on guns. Later I lived in MT for four years. There the average person has guns but lives on a $30k or so income and AK's still aren't really accepted as mainstream.

Alaska seems to be an anomaly regarding gun owners. I have met way more people who openly shoot their class III stuff up here than in MT or WA and you may be at the range shooting between a guy with a muzzle loader and another with a machinegun. I have noticed that compared to the other two states where open carry is legal it is exercised way more up here and folks seem to spend way more on guns than in either of the two aforementioned states. Short of reloading I just cant see the point of spending your money to run brass cased ammo through a $600 AK when steel cased = more rounds per $ which I thought was the whole point.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If its available and I can afford it, I'll shoot it.  If you want to pick up the brass, more power to ya
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Well now they won't leave it around! It's suprising what people leave around. 50BMG, 458 socom, Beowulf. I went late at night a week or two ago to test something out an the whole floor was covered in 45-70 brass.

I can't tell you how many times i have heard a guy saying "im not shooting that commie/steel cased/corrosive crap in my SKS/AK" . Well, that crap was made for those guns, those guns were made for that ammo.

For me i'd rather more bang(s) for the buck. If my gun will shoot steel ill run steel in it. The only gun i have had a problem with steel was the scar16. After messing with the timing it runs it perfect now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you find socom brass let me know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well now they won't leave it around! It's suprising what people leave around. 50BMG, 458 socom, Beowulf. I went late at night a week or two ago to test something out an the whole floor was covered in 45-70 brass.

I can't tell you how many times i have heard a guy saying "im not shooting that commie/steel cased/corrosive crap in my SKS/AK" . Well, that crap was made for those guns, those guns were made for that ammo.

For me i'd rather more bang(s) for the buck. If my gun will shoot steel ill run steel in it. The only gun i have had a problem with steel was the scar16. After messing with the timing it runs it perfect now.

If you find socom brass let me know

I have it around somewhere. But most likely mixed in with a ton of other stuff i have yet to sort through.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alaska AK47 owners. You guys know you can shoot steel case ammo in your rifles right? I only say this because the Cushman range is the only place I have ever shot where I have found reloadable brass 7.62x39 cases in anywhere near the quantities or frequency I do there. Any where in the lower 48 its a real oddity but here it seems like every week I am picking up between 20-100 cases.

I'm just wondering did someone start a rumor up here that you cant use steel case ammo in an AK 47 or something Or maybe everyone up here is rich and I just didn't realize and can afford 75 cents a round. It's not like thereß isn't a ton of Russian steel case around for $6.50 a box.

Its not a problem, I'll just keep on picking up all this awesome brass. I was just wondering what the deal is.
View Quote

Another point no ones mention thus far is there are 7.62x39 uppers and mags available for AR-15s. I don't recall if it requires a bolt carrier change but brass cased could aid in extraction.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only guns I have seen that won't run steel as in wolf are Mini 14's and my SBR AR
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only guns I have seen that won't run steel as in wolf are Mini 14's and my SBR AR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My old stainless Ranch Rifle has digested several cases of Wolf.  My son didn't even know .223 came in brass for several years until I started buying ARs I wonder if the older minis were gassed differently?  It definitely ejects with mucho authority compared to my ARs.

Now, Tula on the other hand, that is the steel my ARs have issue with, especially with a heavy buffer
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My old stainless Ranch Rifle has digested several cases of Wolf.  My son didn't even know .223 came in brass for several years until I started buying ARs I wonder if the older minis were gassed differently?  It definitely ejects with mucho authority compared to my ARs.

Now, Tula on the other hand, that is the steel my ARs have issue with, especially with a heavy buffer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that was in one mini 14 that a friend had. The other gun that had issues was a ruger sr556 when they first came out we had cases sticking in the chamber needing to be pushed out with a cleaning rod. I think the chamber on those early guns was a bit tighter but I don't know because that was also just one gun shooting wolf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top