Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 6:10:33 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

Looking to move up to AK from the Lower 48 - Got a possible job offer in the Delta junction area.  

Wondering about the lifestyle, schools, cost of living etc.  I have 2 kids 9 and 6 but would likely homeschool.  Wife is a teacher down here.

how bad is the cold?  I grew up in the northern MN and have experienced extended periods of -40 below. we usually got about 5 ft of snow per year up there.

What does gas cost right now?  Deisel?  Propane?

I love to do outdoor stuff, and would like to get my kids into it further, thinking this might be the move for them as well.

Responses appreciated!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

Looking to move up to AK from the Lower 48 - Got a possible job offer in the Delta junction area.  

Wondering about the lifestyle, schools, cost of living etc.  I have 2 kids 9 and 6 but would likely homeschool.  Wife is a teacher down here.
Delta is pretty small compared to the Anchorage or Fairbanks areas.  Cost of living is pretty high as Delta is ~90 miles from Fairbanks and there is pretty much 1 grocery store.
how bad is the cold?  I grew up in the northern MN and have experienced extended periods of -40 below. we usually got about 5 ft of snow per year up there.
-40f or colder with high winds. Gusts of to 70+mph is kind of common.  Prepping for long power outages, etc is kind of mandatory out there.
No idea about Delta, but ~$3.50 in Fairbanks, so I'd imagine closer to $4 out there.  Diesel would be closer to $5 a gallon.
I love to do outdoor stuff, and would like to get my kids into it further, thinking this might be the move for them as well.
Great fishing and camping in the summer.
Responses appreciated!

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply

If you had to pick Delta Junction or  Ketchikan wich would you choose and why?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The wife's parents home steaded in the Delta, a long time ago.  While it does get a 'little' on the cold side there and the winds does blow a 'little', I would have moved there in a heart beat,  a while back.  As far as which one to pick, I would take Delta Junction any day over the other one.  I can drive to a lot of different places from Delta and it does NOT rain a lot in Delta.  If one likes to fish and has a boat and likes the sea, then Delta Junction is not for you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Delta is on the road system
Only way into Ketchikan is plane or boat

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply

If you had to pick Delta Junction or  Ketchikan wich would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Delta is on the road system
Only way into Ketchikan is plane or boat

This.  Now if I had to choose, Homer or Kenai are both pretty nice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Ketchikan. Warmer, much better fishing.

Way wetter. Most homes have a cistern for water. Bottled water for drinking.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Job at Ft. Greely, OP?

I worked there for 5 years with Boeing and have to say Delta is a decent place to live.

Has good schools, people are friendly, has a decent, if a bit overpriced sporting good store (Granite View); the IGA is a little pricey, but a trip to Walmart in Fairbanks once a month will keep you from going there much. The even have a gun show at the high school once in awhile that ain't too bad!

Housing is a little tough to come by though. Take a trip up there before you start the job and nail down housing. The real estate folks can smell desperation.

Temps of -40+ in the winter isn't uncommon and neither are 50 mph+ winds. Summers run in the mid-high 80's.

I miss the place and am looking to get back soon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Interior Alaskan summers are amazing. spring hits(april) and it is sunny every day, and temps get up to 60, then may happens think 3-4 weeks with partly cloudy for 2 days, then 3-4 weeks sun (june). then 2 days cloudy, then 2 weeks sun. then 2 weeks rain(September),   then  leaves fall(1/2 October) and snow flies(2/2 October). If your kids are college age the university of Alaska Fairbanks is a hell of a deal. about 12k a YEAR for an actual top notch science school, their art program sucks, as does their womens studies. but their engineering is top tier, as is their chemistry, physics, bio(ME), pre med, and their technical school isn't a slouch either(welding, aircraft maintance, pipeline maintance, and cooking are big).

Now the winters, well they explain the higher than expected rate of divorce, alacholism, instanity, cheating,  strange hobbies, and well just about everything else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi Guys,

Typical small community.  Lots of great people, but there are bad apples and feed the typical rumor mill associated with a small town.  Farming is pretty prevalent here.  A lot of people home-school but the public schools aren't terrible.  Elementary and high school is in Delta Junction, Middle School is on Fort Greely. Pretty large church presence in the are as well
The cold isn't that bad.  You get used to it, but you definitely need to dress/prepare for it- it is unforgiving.  We get very little snow- probably 3 ft a year-ish since I've been here (arrived in Jan 2008)  The wind does blow a lot and cause it to drift up in places pretty good.
Gas is ~3.60, Diesel is ~ 4.00 last I looked.  I used to care what it cost but it only made me sad lol.  I always fill up when in Fairbanks- its about .50 less up there.  No idea on Propane.  Most people don't heat with propane- the use wood, oil, or coal.  Oil is roughly the same price as diesel
Great area for outdoor stuff= hiking, snow-machining, 4wheeling, trapping, etc.  Arguably some of the best moose hunting in the state as well.  
Responses appreciated!
View Quote

I still live in Delta but am working towards getting out of here. I'm stationed at Ft Greely and my time here is coming to a close.  Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.  FB41 (Frank) also lived here for a whiile but moved back to Florida a few years back.

ETA: I see Frank chimed in... disregard!
Also, FWIW one of my Soldiers is from Idaho and loves it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reply guys!  

Kinda what i thought, but wanted to hear from some locals.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Lived in Delta for a few years. Loved it but it IS expensive. There is 1 grocery store unless you have access to Ft. Greely then you can use the commissary. Fuel is usually .50-.75 more per gallon than Fairbanks. Heating oil is usually 1.00+ FBX. Delta is chock full of Russians and that situation has gotten out of control. Property crime in delta is sky high the Russian crotch fruit are in their teens and early twenties and have nothing to do. Break ins are super common as well as vehicle theft. I would personally look for a place between Delta and Tok and stay out of Delta proper or go north and look for something in Salcha and commute because of the way delta has gotten.  Delta Clear-water has the best grayling fishing in the state and possibly the world. Crystal clear water and tons of fish. In the fall they get a run of Salmon but by the time they get all the way up there they are 1/2 dead and not the best for eating.

As far as schools they suck. High teacher turnover rate class sizes are getting bigger and in small communities if your children are smart good luck keeping them challenged and engaged.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lived in Delta for a few years. Loved it but it IS expensive. There is 1 grocery store unless you have access to Ft. Greely then you can use the commissary. Fuel is usually .50-.75 more per gallon than Fairbanks. Heating oil is usually 1.00+ FBX. Delta is chock full of Russians and that situation has gotten out of control. Property crime in delta is sky high the Russian crotch fruit are in their teens and early twenties and have nothing to do. Break ins are super common as well as vehicle theft. I would personally look for a place between Delta and Tok and stay out of Delta proper or go north and look for something in Salcha and commute because of the way delta has gotten.  Delta Clear-water has the best grayling fishing in the state and possibly the world. Crystal clear water and tons of fish. In the fall they get a run of Salmon but by the time they get all the way up there they are 1/2 dead and not the best for eating.

As far as schools they suck. High teacher turnover rate class sizes are getting bigger and in small communities if your children are smart good luck keeping them challenged and engaged.
View Quote

They are Ukranian, not Russian.  Both my neighbors were Ukranian. Great folks who just want to earn an honest living.  They hate the ones who make them look bad.  
The crime is not as bad as you described.  Couple bad apples from a certain family. Salcha has the same problems Delta has with less commodities.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Gas was 3.39 and Diesel 3.83 today.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
No, thank god
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I paid 2.29 for gas... in Florida.

Sorry guys- I just hadda do it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't make me give you a warning
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Psshhh... paid 1.97 in South Carolina on friday.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:15:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're talking about gas, not moonshine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moonshine was free. Family discount.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Man I've spent time in FL and NC.  Y'all can keep that cheap gas.  I'll take AK over either state!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top