Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 2:31:44 AM EDT
I am considering predator hunting up here around Fairbanks but see that you have to recover the hide of coyotes and wolves. While I wouldn't mind having a wolf hide tanned up or maybe a nice yote I am wondering if anyone would buy hides from yotes in good condition since I can't see myself attempting tanning them all myself and selling them after knowing the kind of work that goes into doing them correctly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much no. Locally the only thing people want are lynx wolverine or wolf. And even then they want top grade. Go check out trapperman.com there are lots of Alaskans on the wilderness trapping section . Most of us sell to the Nafa a auction but those are fully tanned and processed if you are talking. About green hides or carcasses no one will touch them they want stuff that is already done. Alpha furs in anchorage will buy some stuff for garment making but they are very particular on what they want.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am considering predator hunting up here around Fairbanks but see that you have to recover the hide of coyotes and wolves. While I wouldn't mind having a wolf hide tanned up or maybe a nice yote I am wondering if anyone would buy hides from yotes in good condition since I can't see myself attempting tanning them all myself and selling them after knowing the kind of work that goes into doing them correctly.
View Quote

Can I join you? I need to get on some alaska hunting just moved from colorado. There's a pretty big pack that hangs around the Cushman outdoor range I hear them every time I go shooting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah there are also a few dog team yards on dyke road that could easily be mistaken for a pack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can I join you? I need to get on some alaska hunting just moved from colorado. There's a pretty big pack that hangs around the Cushman outdoor range I hear them every time I go shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I wish I could figure out where they are at.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
So if no one will take hides what does the state expect you to do with them? Can you just skin the bastard and throw it away when you get home? I mean I don't really want them for myself and knowing some of what goes into tanning from a friend who works at a tannery I have no interest what so ever in attempting to tan.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Contact the ATA up there and find out.  ATA is the Alaska Trappers Association.  You could case skin them dry them and sell them green at fur rondy in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll buy one or two from you, as long as there nice colored and it's nice n thick hair.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contact the ATA up there and find out.  ATA is the Alaska Trappers Association.  You could case skin them dry them and sell them green at fur rondy in Anchorage.
View Quote

Fur rendezvous in Anchorage is your best bet for selling coyote hides.

Just make sure you flesh them and salt the hides with NON-IODIZED salt and roll'em up after they're dry completely. You won't make a lot, but it's a chance to see all the other stuff and interact with trappers and predator hunters on a grand scale.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So if no one will take hides what does the state expect you to do with them? Can you just skin the bastard and throw it away when you get home? I mean I don't really want them for myself and knowing some of what goes into tanning from a friend who works at a tannery I have no interest what so ever in attempting to tan.
View Quote

If you have no interest in putting the work in you have no business shooting them period. This isn't the lower 48 we aren't over run with them and they aren't out killing livestock . Lots of trappers who are willing to put in e works likelyhood depend on them. If you are too lazy to do the work and just want to shoot them for the hell of it you have no business doing it.

It's also illegal to shoot them and do nothing with them. The state expects you to shoot them harvest the hide and then either sell it green or get it tanned you can't just shoot them and leave them or not do anything with the hide. That is wanton waste and a crime taken VERY seriously here.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you have no interest in putting the work in you have no business shooting them period. This isn't the lower 48 we aren't over run with them and they aren't out killing livestock . Lots of trappers who are willing to put in e works likelyhood depend on them. If you are too lazy to do the work and just want to shoot them for the hell of it you have no business doing it.

It's also illegal to shoot them and do nothing with them. The state expects you to shoot them harvest the hide and then either sell it green or get it tanned you can't just shoot them and leave them or not do anything with the hide. That is wanton waste and a crime taken VERY seriously here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about shooting and skinning them and then tossing the hide since the regs don't actually say you have to keep them but I do understand your point. I have no problem skinning them but I have no use for more than one tanned hide or the time with the family to try to make a business out of tanning. Not to mention I'm sure my neighbors on post would be complaining about the smells in the garage. lol Not to mention you go though a ton of water tanning. At least that was what I saw at the commercial operation my buddy works at with his brothers in Montana.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was talking about shooting and skinning them and then tossing the hide since the regs don't actually say you have to keep them but I do understand your point. I have no problem skinning them but I have no use for more than one tanned hide or the time with the family to try to make a business out of tanning. Not to mention I'm sure my neighbors on post would be complaining about the smells in the garage. lol Not to mention you go though a ton of water tanning. At least that was what I saw at the commercial operation my buddy works at with his brothers in Montana.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know it is dirt cheap to send your hide off and have it professionally tanned right? I do all of my own skinning stretching and fleshing then in the spring mail them all to Moyles tannery to have them tanned. Takes a month or so to get them back but it is done right and they are ready to sell after that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You do know it is dirt cheap to send your hide off and have it professionally tanned right? I do all of my own skinning stretching and fleshing then in the spring mail them all to Moyles tannery to have them tanned. Takes a month or so to get them back but it is done right and they are ready to sell after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moyle is the best! Even with shipping from Alaska, you can't beat the price. I use'm still for the rare times I save a Florida 'yote hide; most of the time I just toss the mangy bastards in the landfill- we have plenty to spare here.

Moyle Mink and Tannerry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top