Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2014 11:21:00 AM EDT
Their income is about $100,000 they will be renting when they move and I want to know what are the safer areas crime wise and best arfcom choices? They will be working out of Anchorage. But I'm sure they won't mind a commute.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eagle River/Chugiak is a pretty nice area

There are nice areas in core Anchorage as well

If they don't mind an hour commute, MatSu has some nice areas as well and their money will go even further
View Quote

If I could afford it, I'd live in Eagle River in a heartbeat.  Generally +1 on all the above.  Some of the more local guys will chime in soon probably.

Btw, Alaska is full
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Lived in Anchorage for years, as a renter. Once it came time to buy a house, moved out to the MatSu area. For 250K +/-, I got a nice 3 bedroom, two bath, huge garage house on 3 acres, surrounded by lots of land. For the same price in Anchorage, I would have gotten a half of a duplex, a condo, or a small house with next to no land in a shitty neighborhood. Despite the additional distance, where I bought my place, getting into work (Ft. Rich) only takes me about 20 or so minutes more, because I now only have to contend with 2 lights and 2 roundabouts. The winters and the occasional accident affect the drive time as well, but in the end, I feel like the extra drive is worth it.

But then, I want to live in Alaska, not Anchorage.

ETA, as far as renting, I'd suggest Eagle River or the South Side of Anchorage. Eagle River preferably.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ETA, as far as renting, I'd suggest Eagle River or the South Side of Anchorage. Eagle River preferably.
View Quote
But . . . . Anchorage is only an hour from Alaska.

Anchorage and Canada are the only places you can drive directly to from Alaska.

I agree with South Side areas and Eagle River. Though there are some lovely trailer parks around Mountain View and the NW side of the city . . .

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Btw, Alaska is full
View Quote

Good thing they are moving to Anchorage
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree with South Side areas and Eagle River. Though there are some lovely trailer parks around Mountain View and the NW side of the city . . .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Complete with armed standoffs, convenient drug dealers on every block, and low cost hookers on meth.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Eagle River isnt the same town it was when I moved there in 99. Grid lock (alaska style) most mornings and evenings. LOTS of the same issues anchorage has plus kids with nothing better to do . so they smash and grab
or they sit around carrs and fred meyers loitering and being a pain.Downtown ER the dealers sell weed right in front of the police station and bowling alley, no one blinks an eye, I just cant stand the fact noone has a clear plan
for future traffic and ER has sprung into the place for zero lot line hell holes I chose to live in the valley because for anything under 260K you get a condo or a 30 year old house with covenants and home owners associations.
260 in the valley is a different animal entirely and the commute doesnt get bad UNTILL the soccer moms from the south get on at ER
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Palmer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them to avoid anything with "-VIEW"   in the name, Mountain View, Bay view, Fairview, Forest view.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Tell them to avoid anything with "-VIEW"   in the name, Mountain View, Bay view, Fairview, Forest view.
View Quote
Lol

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That about nails it, I live in eagle river, its pretty good, drive can be a pain once in a while, but normally its ok...
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol  

Truer words have not been spoken! It's been beaten to death but yeah, south anchorage some areas around sand lake are nice other than that get out of anchorage and out to the valley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top