Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 11:02:28 PM EDT
Looking for a set of studs really wanting new if it's possible hoping to find something new for around 300 maybe more. Where should I go?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for a set of studs really wanting new if it's possible hoping to find something new for around 300 maybe more. Where should I go?
View Quote

Depends on the tire size, but you aren't going to find studs for under $500 a set new.  Cheapest studs I've seen were sold at walmart and ran $120-150 per at minimum.

Personally, I'd just eat the bill and get a good set of all weathers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd like a pound of gold for $5 too but it won't happen unless an idiot on Craigslist posts it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Somewhere other than Alaska.  Or pop a tire driving the ALCAN and pay triple for your tire in the Yukon cause you have no choice.

Sorry - no help.  I'm curious myself.  They don't even normally stock my father's tires in town and make him pay dearly to order them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a set of 20" tires for my wife's Tahoe from Amazon.

556$ shipped......that Amazon Prime free shipping never ceases to amaze me
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend just got tires for his 3/4 ton truck off Amazon. $450 or so... turned out the tires were only 4ply. This was not in the ad. Had to buy new locally, $1000 later and the right ones were on. Be careful with Amazon tires. The ones he bought were listed as truck tires.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on the tire size, but you aren't going to find studs for under $500 a set new.  Cheapest studs I've seen were sold at walmart and ran $120-150 per at minimum.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that I'll just find a nice used set LOL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.  Unless there isn't any tread, you are probably still looking at $80 per tire plus install.  So $400 or so.

Are you in Fairbanks or Anchorage and what tire size are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, you could retread your old tires.  Personally I don't dig retreads but then, I've never really used them.  I have a hard time trusting them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a set of the green diamond and walnut infused retreads from a company called Treadwright and they were very affordable, but at -60 I wouldnt trust them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Costco.
Should be able to get some decent tires  for 200 apiece.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Costco only uses aluminum studs. While your tires may be great, the studs will likely be well worn after only one winter. I learned that the hard way after Johnson's Tire Service went to aluminum studs and I ended up with an awesome set of Nokia snow tires. Tires were great in the snow, but by March I was dreading seeing ice as there were no studs left.

Pay the 'Smart Tax' for steel studs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, What size?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, What size?
View Quote

215/75/15 or 225 or 235
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Fairbanks or south?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Costco only uses aluminum studs. While your tires may be great, the studs will likely be well worn after only one winter. I learned that the hard way after Johnson's Tire Service went to aluminum studs and I ended up with an awesome set of Nokia snow tires. Tires were great in the snow, but by March I was dreading seeing ice as there were no studs left.

Pay the 'Smart Tax' for steel studs.
View Quote

"Studs"
Tire studs have been obsolete for a decade.
Get some good winter tires.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Then don't use them, and enjoy your superior tires. OP included studs in his request. I mentioned my experience w aluminum studs vs steel studs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fairbanks or south?
View Quote

I'm in eagle river
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
While not cheap, the stud less winter tires are nice.  Keep in mind that the smaller rim size tires are starting to 'phase' out.  It seems that the auto makers are going more and more to the 18" and up.  
Have you check with Alaska Tire Service in Eagle River?  I got some good prices from them a few years ago.  It might be worth a check, however finding new tires in your price range is going to be tough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top