Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 10:53:31 PM EDT
My wife and I are looking at renting an RV for 2 weeks.  We are looking at 22 foot Winnebago.  I am assuming it will be diesel.  Does anyone know what the gas mileage on the open road would be?  Roughly...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Most rental RV's are gas, like uhauls, because that's what 90% of folks have at home and won't be tempted to put gas in a diesel tank.

Plan on 5-8mpg and 30+ gallon tank. Strap some gas cans to the roof if you're worried but you will be fine.

Most rv rental places won't let you go off pavement either, so no Denali, dalton or Taylor highway trips.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll be gas, must likely.  4.00 to 5.00 a gallon, and you'll get 7 MPG.  Keep your speed at or below posted limits--this will help milage quite a bit.  Just use the pullouts so the lead-foot assholes (aka jimhoff) can get by

Try some boondock camping.  It's free, nobody around and you can do whatever you want.  Use parking lot-style campgrounds for when you want full hook-ups, but boondock is our favorite because we can shoot, let the dogs roam, burn campfires, run the generator, ride the ATV, play music, go for all-over tan , all the stuff you can't do lot-camping.

Fly up with guns in your checked bag.  Don't camp without a shooter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If it is just you and wife, why not rent a car, cover a lot more ground, see more of the state.
Valdez, McCarthy,Chena Hotsprings, Deadhorse..... the time you save running 65 70 miles per hour will allow you to see a lot more places, and the MONEY you save not pushing a ponderous, slow moving overloaded road hazard around will easily pay for nightly accomodations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, plan well and have a good safe trip.  Chances are in a 22' motor home that it will be a gas rig.  Even if one can not take a rental motor home off the 'paved roads ways' there is a lot to see.  By traveling in a motor home you will be able to 'taylor' your trip to what you want to see and do.  Yes you are going to pay a little more for fuel then renting a car, but I think that you will be able to enjoy your trip more.  If you do rent a motor home, take advantage of the pull outs and gravel pits for places to stay.  We travel in a motor home, 38' diesel pusher, and would not do it any other way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Rent-a-wreck doesn't care, but then again I've helped 2 couples stranded in them. One with a flat spare.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll be gas, must likely.  4.00 to 5.00 a gallon, and you'll get 7 MPG.  Keep your speed at or below posted limits--this will help milage quite a bit.  Just use the pullouts so the lead-foot assholes (aka jimhoff) can get by

Try some boondock camping.  It's free, nobody around and you can do whatever you want.  Use parking lot-style campgrounds for when you want full hook-ups, but boondock is our favorite because we can shoot, let the dogs roam, burn campfires, run the generator, ride the ATV, play music, go for all-over tan , all the stuff you can't do lot-camping.

Fly up with guns in your checked bag.  Don't camp without a shooter.
View Quote

I have never vacationed with a firearm.  Do I need it more for animals or criminals?  Either way I am assuming calling 911 just alerts authorities to recover my body before it decays.

Nice AK accepts GA  Carry Permit. :-)

Should we decide to take a month off from work and drive, whats the info on transporting guns through Canada?  I mean I have seen enough "Lock Up Abroad" so I am sure I don't want be a Canadian prison.  If you know what Im talking aboot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring a 12 gauge shotgun. I drive through Canada all the time with shotguns, lever actions and bolt action rifles. Don't bring a pistol through Canada as butthurt will ensue. You will need to have a lockable case and your ammo needs to be in a separate lockable case as well. Up to 5,000 rounds allowed. $25 fee round trip. Don't bring any pepper spray/bear spray through Canada either.

The critters are your biggest concern, not a ton of criminal activity.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone done the Rail trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks?  

How much of a firearm do you need for bear safety?  I assuming a pistol is not going to cut it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]

How much of a firearm do you need for bear safety?  I assuming a pistol is not going to cut it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

As I just said...... 12 gauge. If you feel comfortable shooting a .44 or bigger in a stressful situation, then bring it, otherwise bring a shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top