Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 12:54:20 AM EDT
In anchorage on a mission trip. Everyone talks about all the moose that are everywhere.  Been looking for 2 days and haven't seen any.  

I'm beginning to think "moosing" this is the same thing we southerners call "snipe hunting"

Gr
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of it. I have seen some moose in Anchorage near the airport,  a lot of them out here in the valley, and on the highway in between.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Kincaid Park or up by Hilltop or Flat top if you want to see them. Those are pretty good areas for moose. It is definitely not %100, but those are good areas to try if you want to see some around Anchorage.

There is a wildlife preserve with tons of animals down south in Portage if you want to see them really bad.

I saw a few black bears at Kincaid by the airport just before I left town for fishing.

No idea what snipe hunting is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Doing your mission in Anchorage or heading to Galena?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot dude, look for moose aroudn teh airport, northern lights and lake hood road is usually good for one hanging in the road(odds increase if you are late for work...)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It's hunting for those marsh birds with the long beaks. They're more active at night and tend to use the same trails over and over. They're also attracted to lights. Best way to catch them is to hold up a pillow case at the end of a trail and shine a flashlight through it. You have to be pretty patient because it's been known to take hours for one to run down the trail.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I was told you have better luck actively combing the woods with a large dark colored bag, like say a big garbage bag.  The light only works if you are stationary but will scare them if you do it moving around so you have to move around in the dark.  They won't see the bag.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doing your mission in Anchorage or heading to Galena?
View Quote

Anchorage.

Gr
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's hunting for those marsh birds with the long beaks. They're more active at night and tend to use the same trails over and over. They're also attracted to lights. Best way to catch them is to hold up a pillow case at the end of a trail and shine a flashlight through it. You have to be pretty patient because it's been known to take hours for one to run down the trail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it! Lol

Gr
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a mama bear with 4 cubs staying right here where we are. My daughter got to see them yesterday so she's good with that.

Been to earthquake park twice ---no moose

Gr
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Try Alaska Pacific University.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally found some for her at a park near the airport

5 total. 4 bulls and 1 cow

Back home now

Gr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top